• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 sartanz

sartanz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 03:45 PM

I've had a modded box for about a year now, with a 160 gig hard drive and Apple X v 3.0 mod chip. However, the Evox version I had was one from before >137 gig hard drives were supported so I decided to try and upgrade Evox to get full use of the hard drive.

When I was setting up, I thought the way I'd had it set up was to boot to F: so that was the install method I chose...and now I can't get back into my xbox, and it won't boot up my Evox cd even. All I get when I try is Error 16.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get Evox working again so I can get back into my box? Any help at all would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 BlackTitanium

BlackTitanium

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:01 PM

What do you mean boot from f:?

The BIOS looks for the dashboard executables on the C: and D: drive only.

Edited by BlackTitanium, 04 June 2004 - 04:04 PM.

#3 death_driver_911

death_driver_911

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:01 PM

u say you cant get ur evox cd to load? keep trying. especially if you have a tompson.
turn on the xbox, wait for error screen, the eject, then put the disc in, then close, thenpower off, then power back on (with disc in drive)

#4 sartanz

sartanz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:14 PM

On the Rebuild new large HD section, I chose to rebuild onto the F: rather than C: . The instructions said this would require a F: booting bios and me being the genius that I am, I thought that was what my chip had previously had done, so I installed like that. I'm assuming that's what caused the problem, because afterwards I couldn't boot back into Evox off the CD and loading without just gives me Error 16.

I'm just hoping now for a way to get back into my box, would I need a boot disk that goes to F or something maybe?

#5 sartanz

sartanz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:18 PM

I've tried reloading the cd a bunch of times, but each time it just takes me to the error screen and the Xbox light starts flashing red. I think my mod chip is still booting fine because when it's activated, the startup "X" is orange rather than red, so that's why I think the problem's with the C/F thing.

#6 BlackTitanium

BlackTitanium

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:34 PM

Did you use XBTool to modify your BIOS?
The following is a quote from a doc file that came with XBTool:

"For those moving from a non-LBA48 BIOS, if your drive is
greater than 137GB and you already have a partition 6
which goes up to the 137GB barrier then choosing the
partitioning option "Partition 6 Takes Rest of the Drive"
will result in data corruption when the drive is written
to. You'll need to reformat the drive if you want to
resize your partition 6 to use all available space."

You may have corrupted your HDD, and will have to reformat!

But first, you need establish that you can boot your Xbox from the DVD drive.
The BIOS will try to read the default.xbe file from the CD/DVD disc.

Install your original HDD into your Xbox, to verify that your modchip is functioning properly. Try booting to MSdash with modchip off. And booting the Evox CD with the modchip on.

Edited by BlackTitanium, 04 June 2004 - 04:35 PM.

#7 sartanz

sartanz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:51 PM

Nope, I didn't touch XBTool at all. I started by formatting all my drives and then installing the newer version of Evox. I had thought just by upgrading versions, it'd give me access to the rest of my storage space so I didn't even look at other tools.

I'm pretty sure my mod chip's working fine still because it's still booting up with an orange X rather than a green. Would there be any other boot discs available that might work with the F drive, maybe? Or should I think about just putting my xbox hard drive into my PC and formatting it?

#8 BlackTitanium

BlackTitanium

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 05:15 PM

First,
You have to use XBTool to configure the BIOS.
You need to change the LBA48, in the BIOS, so that F: takes the rest of the partition. (You cannot use XBTool to modify the X2 4983 BIOS. You can only edit X2 4981 and Evox M7 BIOS.)

Secondly,
The BIOS has a specific boot order.
It looks for the executable (default.xbe) on the DVD drive first.
Then the BIOS will look for the executable (i.e., evoxdash.xbe) on the C: drive.

The F: partition is for storing your data, i.e. games, applications, music, videos, etc.

There is no booting the dashboard from the F: partition! You are mistaken.

You need to boot Evox from the DVD. Then transfer the evoxdash.xbe and evox.ini the C: partition.

Edited by BlackTitanium, 04 June 2004 - 05:17 PM.

#9 sartanz

sartanz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 05:49 PM

Well, the biggest problem right now is actually getting my DVD to boot anything. It won't load any CD's at this point. Do you think I'd just be best off plopping it into my PC, formatting, and trying again? Or would that create new problems?

#10 EvilGoodGuy

EvilGoodGuy

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 June 2004 - 05:51 PM

Sounds like a good option if you can't come up with something else. sad.gif

#11 sartanz

sartanz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 06:10 PM

Well, I'm always afraid of frying my xbox so I hate opening it up unless absolutely necessary, so I'm still hoping someone might have another idea/know of something that'd work instead.

Thanks for all the help from everyone already, though.

#12 sartanz

sartanz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 04:56 PM

So today I tried putting the hard drive into a PC, and while it's recognized in Device Manager it isn't accessible in disk management and doesn't show up there. I tried using Win 2k and Win 98 Boot disks to try and access it, I tried using fdisk and nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? :/

#13 EvilGoodGuy

EvilGoodGuy

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 June 2004 - 05:38 PM

You will have to unlock it first. Go into the tutorials and look under harddrives.

#14 sartanz

sartanz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 05:48 PM

I can't think of a way to get my Xbox drive key, since I can't ftp in or access it at all right now. :/

#15 BlackTitanium

BlackTitanium

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 07:17 PM

Which drive are you trying to access on your PC?
It it your original Xbox HDD or the 160 GB HDD?

Didn't you back-up your orignal Xbox HDD?
The HDD key will be in the backup folder in the C: partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users