25 replies to this topic

#1 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 05:32 PM

Here's a simple idea which I find is sevearly lacking...

We need a simple XBE utility which when launched will look at a configuration.xml file and then COPY the entire directory structure from one directory listed in the XML (from a DVD disk for instance) to a target directory on the Xbox HDD, ideally with the option of skipping certain files if they exist (selectable in the XML file), or only updating files of a give age.

So, now you wonder, what's the use of this...

Do you have a friend, relative or acquaintance, who is a complete Xbox IDIOT?

Ever need to send them an update in the mail for something on their machine?

Get the picture?

You can burn a DVD with all the required software (say for instance new files for the XBMM Karaoke player) and have this little application automatically boot up and start copying the files.

Better still would be if it could detect if the files exist and are up to date, so it can skip the update altogether if so.

Have someone who trashed their dash and they don't know how to restore it?

Need to send someone a copy of the latest XBMC?

Get the picture?

It's a simple but eminently useful tool.

#2 Moleman

Moleman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 June 2004 - 05:44 PM

excellent idea

#3 ofx210p

ofx210p

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 05 June 2004 - 07:33 PM

This is actually very easy to do in evox

simply make up the image you want with the relevant software then make an evox ini file that copies the data accross to the place you want it

at the touch of a button

We already use this for the occasional f**k up and send out a disc we can get users to boot the box with and update/over write things with.

#4 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 07:35 PM

Yes, but you miss the point.

We need a

"put disk in drive and boot" application that has NO choices to it.

Something you could give Grandma and be assured that she would not screw things up.

No menus, no button presses, nada!

#5 ofx210p

ofx210p

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 07:48 PM

YES but if you CORRECTLY configure a customised evox application you can make this happen one choice one button, no chance of messing up !!!

Its not difficult.

But then if you cant configure the evox menu what hope is there to configure any other xml document

all you need is to delete all the menu stuff

add
Item "Copy Something",@210
and

[Action_10]
Warning "This will Copy something"
Progress "Copying"

copy "\something\" "f:\something\"

Which will copy from the /something folder to the F:/something directory on the Xbox

Simple really

#6 ofx210p

ofx210p

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 07:49 PM

Ok I agree it cant check for up to date ness but for simplicities sake it is very straight forward and requires no effort on the users part or the coders

#7 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 09:08 PM

Your idea is not bad, but a dedicated application for this task would be more useful.

#8 triggernum5

triggernum5

X-S Messiah

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 June 2004 - 10:28 PM

XBMC has an autoexec type feature called autoexec.py you can do alot of stuff with the xbmc python integration. I will look into writing a script that will run at startup through an xbmc.xbe and can do anything you want within it. File/dir stuff is super easy. The skinning can be totally customized and it can even Print a big "SUCCESS" screen and a button to reboot at the end if you like.

#9 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (triggernum5 @ Jun 5 2004, 11:28 PM)
XBMC has an autoexec type feature called autoexec.py you can do alot of stuff with the xbmc python integration. I will look into writing a script that will run at startup through an xbmc.xbe and can do anything you want within it. File/dir stuff is super easy. The skinning can be totally customized and it can even Print a big "SUCCESS" screen and a button to reboot at the end if you like.

That would help, but it would be nice to add or have the ability to skip existing files per user's selection in the config.

Or "the ultimate" a DIFF finder that will merge user changes to the base configuration files so that any updates will keep user settings but add any new options...

Then you could easily create a disk containing upgrades or updates for various items of software.

#10 triggernum5

triggernum5

X-S Messiah

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 June 2004 - 11:58 PM

Ok. heres what I'm working on now since the pyrobo thing is too complex for grandma. XBMC will load and run an autoexec script that will read a file like this:

confirmmode (Option to enable overwrite confirmations)
includeemptydir (Option)
Directories:
e:\apps\,f:\apps,[0][1] <--1=Recursive
Files:
e:\evox.ini,f:\evox.ini

Any suggestions welcome...

Edited by triggernum5, 06 June 2004 - 12:56 AM.

#11 lookformeb

lookformeb

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 June 2004 - 02:58 AM

In my opinion, auto installers are the root of all evil...

One that would install with NO interaction is a terrible idea IMO...

I suppose as long as it never formatted, it would not be that bad of an idea but you wonder what kind of people need a EASIER auto-installer than Slayers or X-Disk.

Maybe those people are not meant to touch applications.. wink.gif tongue.gif

#12 Sleeve

Sleeve

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (lookformeb @ Jun 6 2004, 04:58 AM)
In my opinion, auto installers are the root of all evil...

Problem: Friends see what my Xbox can do.

Problem: They are clueless with this stuff.

Problem: I end up having to do all the work.

Solution: Here, take this disk, it'll do everything for you.

Result: Sleeve, beach chair, tall drink...

I totally buy the "I had to walk uphill both ways in the snow" thing. The easier stuff becomes, the dumber the noobs become. I'm guilty as charged, I took the easy way out with DreamX. I also didn't really get interested in linux until rpm got ironed out.

I think that automated installers would actually improve the signal to noise ratio here. The installers would work right, then when a noob screws up their install after the fact, the installer uninstalls and reinstalls the app cleanly to get them back upright. As a result, as homebrew becomes more featureful and complicated, stupider people can install it without cluttering up the forums with ssdd posts.

#13 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:06 PM

I agree with lookformeb that auto installers are a problem and basically they can cause problems too (i.e someone unplugs the power just after the auto installer disc starts copying files). I know you would think what idiot would do that. Answer exactly the same idiot that has to use a disc that just installs aplications or whatever without doing anything but bob in the disc.
If someone with an Xbox wants all the bells and whictles yours has but do not understand how to do it then the choices are simple learn how to do it correctly (like everyone else had to) or get someone to do it who does know. that way if something does not go to plan there is an escape route.

#14 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:06 PM

sorry damn server error

Edited by Chancer, 06 June 2004 - 12:07 PM.

#15 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (Chancer @ Jun 6 2004, 01:06 PM)

If someone with an Xbox wants all the bells and whictles yours has but do not understand how to do it then the choices are simple learn how to do it correctly (like everyone else had to) or get someone to do it who does know. that way if something does not go to plan there is an escape route.

No, sorry I think you are wrong here.

I've modded Xboxes for friends and family that love the conenience of having everything on the hard drive.

They are clueless as to the internet, etc. (they can't even plug the Xbox into their cable modems as this would entail moving it and I can't even trust that it would get plugged back in properly...). Nor are they nearby.

Anything more than a single button push at a main menu leads to frustration. Their kids are the principle users...

I would like to make one disk that I can send them copies of, to update their systems periodically. E.G. install the latest version of XBMC without having to reconfigure their setup files.

I can NOTt be the only one in the same boat.

I'm not referring to an AUTOINSTALLER though it can indeed double at that much the same way Slayers already does this.

Slayer's HAS been a boon to the noobies after all hasn't it.

You were not around here before the advent of the Autoinstallers but 90% of the questions we answered early on involved configuring the Xbox and installing the new applications onto it. Just check the newbies forums...

With the advent of the Autoinstallers this has dropped dramatically.

As it is look at the myriad of posts asking for help to figure out Raincoat...

Anyway you are extrapolating that because YOU have the skills to do this stuff that others can "simply learn it". This is rather egalitarian.

It would preclude half the computer using public (granted there are a LOT or majority of idiotic users) from turning on a PC.

The "get someone to help them" view is what is prompting these posts.

That is exactly why I've called for an application like this, to permit them to "get someone to help them" when there is no possibility of an on site presence, or internet connection for remote access, etc.

It would also solve a bunch of problems for ANYONE "helping" someone else out or aiding a "client".

The "power" issue is a non-sequitor considering everyone is flashing their eeprom which is a far more dangerous time for a power event. Hard drive corruption or changes due to a power outage can be EASILY handled by such an app.

E.G.

- OOOps the power when out and now my dashboard doesn't come up.

- Ok, insert the Disk 1 I sent you and let it finsh...

You have the skills, but don't discount the need never-the-less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users