6 replies to this topic

#1 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 05:51 PM

Here's a simple idea which I find is severely lacking...

We need a simple XBE utility which when launched will look at a configuration.xml file and then COPY the entire directory structure from one directory listed in the XML (from a DVD disk for instance) to a target directory on the Xbox HDD, ideally with the option of skipping certain files if they exist (selectable in the XML file), or only updating files of a give age.

So, now you wonder, what's the use of this...

Do you have a friend, relative or acquaintance, who is a complete Xbox IDIOT?

Ever need to send them an update in the mail for something on their machine?

Get the picture?

You can burn a DVD with all the required software (say for instance new files for the XBMM Karaoke player) and have this little application automatically boot up and start copying the files.

Better still would be if it could detect if the files exist and are up to date, so it can skip the update altogether if so.

Have someone who trashed their dash and they don't know how to restore it?

Need to send someone a copy of the latest XBMC?

Get the picture?

It's a simple but eminently useful tool.

#2 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Loop Theory
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 June 2004 - 08:31 PM

Would be good to have as a util but couldn't you burn autorun.inf and have that call a dos script which executes the commands you need? You could even script the ftp copy commands to the xbox by piping it into the ftp <whatever addr of xbox>. Clearly would be much more work for you than a utility but you could at least accomplish your goal.

#3 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:09 AM

AFAIK the xbox is incapable of dealing with autorun.inf type files.

The idea is to be able to provide a complete XBOX idiot a disk which will intelligently (ideally) update select directories and software on their machine.

#4 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Loop Theory
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:33 AM

Oh! I misread or misunderstood you. I though this disk is something they would put in their pc and it would copy things over to their xbox via ftp. And you'd have to get their xbox ip address before creating your scripts for them etc... which would suck.

Anyway, I see now you mean a disc you insert into the xbox and it'll auto install what you've setup on there. Although at this point I've already set up 3 other xbox's for friends so I guess I don't need this now cause I have no more friends laugh.gif

#5 bcforn64

bcforn64

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:50 AM

There is already something like this...it's called slayers. Slayer basically just modified evox settings and created an easy to use evox loader that will do everything for you. I'm sure it you put evox on the disc with the files and modified the ini file you can create a menu that will install everything for you. As for checking for updates, that may be a little tricky but you can create menus and display a message displaying version number.

I know you most likely know about slayers but you get the idea laugh.gif

#6 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 June 2004 - 10:35 AM

Yeah Slayers could do part of it, but not what he is looking for.
MXM on the other hand could definately do all of this that he wants as it has a auto_exec file that starts on boot, so all the commands could be put in there that you wanted. And to see if it is up to date you could just call a simple xbeid check or something... So all this is currently do-able with MXM as long as you invest the time...
Btw double post rolleyes.gif

#7 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (chilin_dude @ Jun 6 2004, 11:35 AM)

MXM on the other hand could definately do all of this that he wants as it has a auto_exec file that starts on boot, so all the commands could be put in there that you wanted. And to see if it is up to date you could just call a simple xbeid check or something... So all this is currently do-able with MXM as long as you invest the time...

Yes you are correct, to an extent.

The existing utilities make no provisions to check for existing files.

For instance you may wish to update XBMC via a boot and go disk.

Ideally the program could be told to search for the proper installation directory with a "hint" from the user created configuration file.

The if it sees that the existing XML configuration file is there, it could skip it (again as per the author/user's discretion...) and overwrite everything else.

The "ultimate" utility would have the option of merging any existing user made changes to the existing configuration files, to those of the files stored on the disk.

That way you could give an XBMC update disk to a friend, have them boot it, and they would get the latest update without screwing up the customizations you may have worked on for them.

Coupled with a better parser, this would also turn into something that could be used to create much more intelligent Autoinstallers and Xbox setup disks.

EvoX was not quite designed to be an autoinstaller, but instead a menu. As such it has no such provisions for the above.

Slayer and others have had to jump thru some interesting hoops to make it work as an Autoinstaller, providing options which may be confusing to the neophyte.

BTW: I've been answering questions long enough that I believe I merit a purposely done DOUBLE post every once in a while.

I got more intelligent responses on this Forum than I did on the Technical Threads after all. smile.gif

Edited by opjose, 07 June 2004 - 01:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users