13 replies to this topic

#1 Qube

Qube

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:27 AM

Is it possible to fit all files necessary to successfully downgrade the dashboard for exploit in a 8MB standard memory card?

What are the core files necessary? unsure.gif

... in my pursuit to build a computerless softmod kit ...

#2 Blank

Blank

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Gaming, HTML/Webpage Design, Programming, and Electronics
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE (Qube @ Jun 6 2004, 09:27 PM)
Is it possible to fit all files necessary to successfully downgrade the dashboard for exploit in a 8MB standard memory card?

What are the core files necessary? unsure.gif

... in my pursuit to build a computerless softmod kit ...

You can't FULLY downgrade with just an 8MB card. The is quite big and will not fit on the card. However, Catfish has an installer that uses 2 files to force downgrade. This involves replacing 2 dash files and then updating through Mechassault. smile.gif

#3 Qube

Qube

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 12:45 PM

I may hack up a larger size memory stick then.

Could you point me to the name of the Catfish package that allows this? I'll figure out how, but if you could at least name drop I'll have a start wink.gif

Meanwhile, I might have to grab Mech Assault then. I've been using Splinter Cell thus far. dry.gif

Thank you.

#4 FBF

FBF

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:15 PM

Doesnt splinter cell let you upgrade/downgrade to 4290?

I have it and I have been told to click to download levels button (to get dash 4920) but its faded out on the main menu. Do I have to complete splinter cell to enable this button?

PAL version btw:)

#5 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (FBF @ Jun 7 2004, 05:15 PM)
Doesnt splinter cell let you upgrade/downgrade to 4290?

I have it and I have been told to click to download levels button (to get dash 4920) but its faded out on the main menu. Do I have to complete splinter cell to enable this button?

PAL version btw:)

No you'll have to have it connected with a network cable and that will only UPgrade your dash.

#6 Blank

Blank

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Gaming, HTML/Webpage Design, Programming, and Electronics

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Qube @ Jun 7 2004, 08:45 AM)
I may hack up a larger size memory stick then.

Could you point me to the name of the Catfish package that allows this? I'll figure out how, but if you could at least name drop I'll have a start wink.gif

Meanwhile, I might have to grab Mech Assault then. I've been using Splinter Cell thus far. dry.gif

Thank you.

It's on #xbins...

#7 Qube

Qube

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:03 PM

I was hoping for a name such as 'Catfish Installer'. laugh.gif Nevermind that. I'm going to use either a 128MB or 256MB stick and go from there.

Next question. What files do I require to downgrade? My thoughts...

xboxdash.xbe
|--Audio
|--fonts
|--xboxdashdata.XXXXXXX
|--xodash

This SEEMS to be what is on a stock 4xxx dash box. Is that all that is needed? However, on my own box, I notice a whole slew of files as well like...

settings_panel.xip
settings_parental.xip
XBox Book.xtf
keyboard.xip
... and so on.

Are these required, or perhaps for something else?

#8 Blank

Blank

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:36 PM

A former user by the name of "Oblox" did just what you are planning on doing. His release, the Blox system, fits on memory sticks and allows for you to fully downgrade your dashboard, install exploits, and install many other applications.

#9 mkjones

mkjones

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (Blank @ Jun 7 2004, 09:36 PM)
A former user by the name of "Oblox" did just what you are planning on doing. His release, the Blox system, fits on memory sticks and allows for you to fully downgrade your dashboard, install exploits, and install many other applications.

I have been looking into downgrading from standard memory cards, the blox system is no good to me as I want to stick with 8mb.

Its for my next package, hopefully I will be using UDE and maybe easter egg as well for some kind of "dash switch" like I use in my font/audio hacks now. But I dont want to go into it now as my PMs will go crazy.

If anyone works out a sure fire way of downgraing using very small files then i would love to know.. I know the secret is with mechassault, as catfish did in the past...

#10 Qube

Qube

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:35 PM

All right then. I'll scour the usual sources for Oblox.

NB: And having a heck of a time finding it... sad.gif
NB: alt.binaries... nice. There has to be another place... blink.gif

Meanwhile, the SanDisk Cruzer 256 insists on not letting me finish copying everything I need. I'm falling back to a Handy Steno 128 and it's working fine... if I can fit everything on it! dry.gif

Edited by Qube, 07 June 2004 - 09:39 PM.

#11 ldots

ldots

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (mkjones @ Jun 7 2004, 09:49 PM)
If anyone works out a sure fire way of downgraing using very small files then i would love to know.. I know the secret is with mechassault, as catfish did in the past...

Thes trick is not mine, but is the one used by the Catfish package. I have however succesfully downgraded severel times in the past using only :
Keyboard.xip
settings_panel.xip
from Slayers, giving a total of 3.3mb (roughly). Should fit on a memcard.
The trick is to copy your settings files (from xboxdashdata to the root of C, be sure to have the original fonts in the root of C, copy the above files to the root of C, rename xboxdash.xbe and xodash/xonlinedash.xbe.
Going on xbox-live with MA,SC,.. will force the downgrade (you need the network cable attached of course, to let the xbox think you are connected, but actually having a connection will probably get the latest dash).

This is from memory so dont consider this a tutorial on downgrading, I could have missed a few points rolleyes.gif

For a UDE package this is not a solution though as not all 4920 dash update.xbe will work with the current fonts. Besides, for UDE you dont need a downgrade, just the correct update.xbe smile.gif

Edited by ldots, 07 June 2004 - 10:04 PM.

#12 Qube

Qube

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE (ldots @ Jun 8 2004, 12:04 AM)
Thes trick is not mine, but is the one used by the Catfish package. I have however succesfully downgraded severel times in the past using only :
Keyboard.xip
settings_panel.xip
from Slayers, giving a total of 3.3mb (roughly). Should fit on a memcard.
The trick is to copy your settings files (from xboxdashdata to the root of C, be sure to have the original fonts in the root of C, copy the above files to the root of C, rename xboxdash.xbe and xodash/xonlinedash.xbe.
Going on xbox-live with MA,SC,.. will force the downgrade (you need the network cable attached of course, to let the xbox think you are connected, but actually having a connection will probably get the latest dash).

This is from memory so dont consider this a tutorial on downgrading, I could have missed a few points rolleyes.gif

For a UDE package this is not a solution though as not all 4920 dash update.xbe will work with the current fonts. Besides, for UDE you dont need a downgrade, just the correct update.xbe smile.gif

I am confused at this point...

"rename xboxdash.xbe and xodash/xonlinedash.xbe"

Meaning there will be no xboxdash/xodash/xonlinedash then? Or the box otherwise cannot find it?

Else, this will require ethernet connection... unless I loopback, I still need to plug the other end into something and my arse won't do laugh.gif

Good one though. If you can clarify the above then perhaps this will be of use.

#13 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (Qube @ Jun 8 2004, 03:17 AM)

Meaning there will be no xboxdash/xodash/xonlinedash then? Or the box otherwise cannot find it?

Else, this will require ethernet connection... unless I loopback, I still need to plug the other end into something and my arse won't do laugh.gif

Good one though. If you can clarify the above then perhaps this will be of use.

Yeah this is the force downgrade used by catfish. don't worry about renaming the files cuz it won't do no harm unless your clock gets reset in the meantime. The game will recreate all the needed files again. And if you don't have a network connection to connect to you can just cut a network canle in half and join the orange an green pairs (orange joined with green and white orange joined with white green) this will trick the xbox thinkin it's connected while it's just connected to itself.

#14 ldots

ldots

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE (Qube @ Jun 8 2004, 03:17 AM)

Yup. As long as the clock is set, you can still boot from a game (MA).
QUOTE (Krayzie @ Jun 8 2004, 04:02 AM)

The game will recreate all the needed files again.

...and even clean up all the setting files and renamed dash-files you put in the root of C:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users