7 replies to this topic

#1 SupremeClientele

SupremeClientele

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:08 PM

I already checked out a few tutorials, and I just started to spray my X-box. I was wondering how many coats of paint would some of you recommend? I stopped at 2, I'm just wondering cause I don't want to put too little or too much on?

Also, How long should I wait to apply my secondary color(obviously till dry tongue.gif )...I'm afraid the masking tape I apply will ruin the painting I just done?

Edited by SupremeClientele, 07 June 2004 - 08:10 PM.

#2 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  • Interests:Doesn't matter...
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:16 PM

it depends on how you want it to look and what colors you are using (mine is red on white so if i don't want the red to be pink, i obviously have to put quite a few coats of red). putting masking tape usually doesn't ruin the paint unless it sticks a LOT

#3 Blank

Blank

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Gaming, HTML/Webpage Design, Programming, and Electronics
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:48 PM

Wait for it to dry and see if it needs more. You can always spray some more layers on if it looks like you can see the black through it or it isn't the color you want.

#4 Phreaker101

Phreaker101

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:if i knew how to install programs on my x box i would say this is my hobby

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:50 AM

well mine is white and blue(a real pretty blue) and i used bulldog adhesion promoter which is clear but helps paint stick to the box(also lets you see the true color of the box which is green). then i used SEM color coat(flexible coating) white all over the box to keep the dark green(black look) from bleeding through when i put my blue coat on(making it look dark blue). this has worked for me several times. my best advice is to cover the entire box white first with the SEM which doesn't peel once masking tape was applied to it. NOW!!! i used Pactra racing finish paint for my secondary color which did peel once my masking tape was applied. but then again i used that thick roll of transparent tape to mask so i'd advise you to use that 3M masking tape to be on the safe side biggrin.gif . but my advice to you would be to make sure there is no need to mask off whatever surface you use that Pactra paint on if you do decide to mask it make sure its at least a day or two after painting it. As for the SEM it was ready to be masked i'd say 20 minutes after it dried.

#5 delacruz

delacruz

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Dj

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:58 AM

i started to paint mine, but then my cousin got ahold of it and finsihed it for me. He said he cooked it with a blow torch so that the paint will really stick on. I donno unsure.gif

#6 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  • Interests:Doesn't matter...
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:05 AM

mmm...maybe that's not the best idea unless you completely know what you are doing

making it dry/heat too quickly could slightly burn the paint. the color won't change but you will get an uneven/bumpy surface. When you are using a torch, don't put it too close (duh dry.gif )

#7 yellowcard1984

yellowcard1984

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:12 AM

haha, im not too sure about how ur xbox will turnout now.

#8 PoiDog

PoiDog

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 03:50 AM

I'd advise at least 2 coats of paint, sand between coats w/ 2000 grit or 1500 to keep surface smooth, use tack cloth to wipe off dust. Between coats at least an hour if yur gonna sand, make sure no dust gets on, spray water with atomizer in room if theres dust floatin around. Definately finish off with a couple nice coats of Clear-coat for that nice shiny finish. Doin' a 2 tone there? Use painters tape, its a blue colored tape that sticks well enough to stop bleed throughs but wont take off paint on surface if youve painted it before, painters tape is a must have!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users