#1 black_light

black_light

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 06 January 2003 - 01:22 AM

i ordered a ps2 magic 3 chip and attempted to install it 3 times and they all resulted in failure because of the fucking microscopic the solder points are. is the x-2 light as hard to install as the ps2 magic 3? also, how big are the solder points i need to solder to on the xbox compared to the ps2 because if it is that small im cancaling my order for the x-2 light. last, do u think a vocational school electronics teacher would be able the succesfully instal my magic 3 for me?

#2 rAph

rAph

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 01:50 AM

The x2 lite is a million times easier to install. The Xbox LPC points are huge.

#3 krazyK

krazyK

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports<br />Subaru Impreza's
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 January 2003 - 01:56 AM

I would just get the Matrix that way you don't have to solder at all. Works for me although I did solder some switches to my Matrix.

#4 MURDERER

MURDERER

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 04:54 AM

black light, why dont' you open up your xbox and see exactly how small the LPC points are. You may be in a little more than what you are bargaining for.

iMURDERER

#5 crackz0r

crackz0r

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE (black_light @ Jan 6 2003, 01:22 AM)
i ordered a ps2 magic 3 chip and attempted to install it 3 times and they all resulted in failure because of the fucking microscopic the solder points are. is the x-2 light as hard to install as the ps2 magic 3? also, how big are the solder points i need to solder to on the xbox compared to the ps2 because if it is that small im cancaling my order for the x-2 light. last, do u think a vocational school electronics teacher would be able the succesfully instal my magic 3 for me?

having installed a couple of magic3 chips i can tell you that the smallest solder point on the xbox is about 3 times LARGER than one of the points you'd have to solder on the ps2.. so if you can chip a ps2, you can chip an xbox.. basically with one of the newer modchips you'd be looking at the lpc pads/holes (quite large) and d0 (kinda smallish, but not a big deal really).. that's about it.

#6 Nakor

Nakor

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 06:03 AM

The Xbox is a million times easier to solder in than a PS2. Anybody who has ever succesfully modded a PS2 will easily do an XBox, and even some who have failed.

Just take the cover off and take a look at the LPC pads, they are huge.

#7 Canuck77

Canuck77

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 02:40 PM

A quick spin around this forum will tell you that 99.9% of the installation problems people are experiencing are due to d0 problems. Have a look at your d0 point, and if you feel comfortable with that, you're all set.

Personally, being a guy with extremely poor soldering skills, I find the modchip installs to be nerve-wracking. I've done a half dozen so far, and all have gone fine (except one that was a bad d0 solder joint that I'd managed to repair). I'd never even DREAM of a PS2 modchip install, though.

#8 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 January 2003 - 09:05 PM

To be "exact", it is a 3/10. A PS2 is a 1/10. Twisting too wires together is a 10/10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users