Xbmc Boot Disk?
Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:17 AM
I just want to make it so the disk will boot xbmc and have a few of the apps in the cd with it.
Evox only has one or two real uses. Compaired to the power of the xbmc I see no need to use a evox boot disk over a xbmc one.
Yes, I know I can just put it on the HD and all. Been doing that and I boot fine into xbmc on startup. I just want it on a disk instead. hehe
Thnx for any help
Posted 10 June 2004 - 05:33 AM
XBMC has to create and modify files in its root... It wont work and/or act very strangly if it cant (ie on a cd)
The only way i can think of doing it would be to create a evox script perhaps and upload it to the hard drive and then execute it. I dont know if a script can be called automatically, or if you can execute a program in a script...
Posted 10 June 2004 - 05:58 AM
The first time I tried it, I didn't have XBMC installed on my xbox. I just wanted to see if it would run. All I got was the black screen with pink text saying "I'm toasted. Trying to do network stuff. Failed".
Since then I have installed XBMC on my xbox - but I haven't yet tried the boot disk to see if it would gather settings etc from my local copy!
Having said that. I don't think it's really worth me bothering to get xbmc running perfectly from cd. What's the point?
Instead what I'm going to do is configure the network settings on my cd copy and use it as a rescue disk. Incase I munt something.
Is there any reason that you want to boot it from cd?
Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:05 PM
- <!-- when using xbmc as dashboard, define home directory here !
- <!-- and copy the xbe with this config file to C:\ !
- <!-- network settings for ip,netmask,default gateway, nameserver !
- <!-- option 1: leave empty to use the current settings (from evox, avalaunch or other dashboard) !
- <!-- option 2: fill in the ipadres,netmask etc and xbmc will configure xbox to use it
- <!-- option 3: fill in dhcp as ip and xbmc will use DHCP to configure (so <ip>dhcp</ip> )
- <!-- online gaming settings, place your KAI tag name and password here !
- <!-- If you don't already have one, visit www.xboxlink.co.uk to create your account !
- <!-- NOTE THIS FEATURE IS COMPLETELY UNSUPPORTED FOR THE TIME BEING !
- <!-- determines which drives 2 use. Change this for LBA48 !
- <!-- fill in the HTTP proxy values below if you're using an http proxy to connect to the internet !
- <!-- remote timeserver used to set the xbox time/date!
- <!-- dashboard 2 launch when exiting xbmc!
- <!-- fill in path&filename of external DVD player
- <!-- if empty, XBMC will play any DVD's by itself
- <!-- alternate subtitle directory. If subtitle cant be found in same directory !
- <!-- as the movie it will look here: !
- <!-- startup window !
- <!-- file extensions for pictures,music and videos !
- <!-- path where xbmc should store its thumbnails !
- <!-- path where xbmc should store its shortcuts !
- <!-- path where xbmc should store the music albums cache !
- <!-- path where shoutcast rips/recordings are stored !
- <!-- path where screenshots are stored !
- <!-- move & repeat delays for controller and remote (values are in msec) !
- <!-- Remote debug info. Displays the remote code with each button press !
- <!-- Useful to see if XBMC reads extra buttons on your universal remote !
- <!-- These remote codes can be placed in keymap.xml to give you more button options !
- <!-- this section allows you to overwrite/specify the icons shown !
- <!-- for specific file types !
- <!-- my video shares !
- <!-- Expert setting: Uncomment for seperate ISO and UDF share !
- <!-- Comment out the bookmark named DVD to disable DVD autodetect !
- <!-- for my video !
- <!-- <bookmark> !
- <!-- <name>ISO</name> !
- <!-- <path>iso9660://</path> !
- <!-- </bookmark> !
- <!-- <bookmark> !
- <!-- <name>UDF</name> !
- <!-- <path>UDF:</path> !
- <!-- </bookmark> !
Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:30 PM
I want a boot cd also because I have modded my xbox case and dvd drive. Want to see it spin!
Posted 10 June 2004 - 03:04 PM
xbmc doesnt flash a bios...
What does xbmc do on a rescue disk that evox cant? Evox has proven itself reliable. XBMC is in the middle of being developed. Evox is a much better choice for a boot disk to fix stuff.
Who cares what it looks like... all i need it for is to lock/unlock drives, ftp a couple proggies on the drive and flash a bios.
Absolutly no other reason for me to need a bootdisk. 3/3 for evoX, 2/3 (using config magic) for xbmx
Posted 10 June 2004 - 03:19 PM
Hmm. I really must try my boot disk again with ftp settings.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users