• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 webmlucas

webmlucas

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 12:16 AM

I received a new matrix today and started installing it in a v1.0 Xbox made in October of 2001. I have installed these chips before and had few problems. I cannot get the chip to do anything but flash red at me. I haven't been able to get the chip to even show a flash of green light. Usually I could get it to at least show some sort of life, but this chip just keeps going red all the way. I am flashing it with a color mod I have used before and works fine (at least on the machines I have used it on...). It doesn't seem to me that the lone pogo pin is even making contact with anything. I tried to scratch that point on the board to try and remove varnish, but to no avail. I also tried cleaning all of the contacts with alcohol but that didn't seem to help either. I did notice when I was trying to install it that some of the pogo pins were "stuck" down. I was able to get them to give (with some brute force, of course). I know that it is an alignment problem, but does anyone have any other ideas that may help. I have searched the forums but most people seem to be able to get some sort of light. I am beginning to wonder if there isn't some other problem, too.
Thanks
Matt biggrin.gif

#2 Pheonix

Pheonix

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 03:46 AM

the 9 pogopins on the LPC are trivial, aligned or not, the D0 pin seems to be the one pain in the but.
i used some 30 ga wire i bought at Radio Shack and managed to fit it into the D0 hole and taped it down, i covered the pin with tape also,
then i just touched it to the top of the matrix while it was flashing red to see the results, you may want to solder it after, if that's the case.

#3 Halfnip

Halfnip

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 January 2003 - 04:00 AM

I had the same problem with my chip. I just couldn't get my pin into that tiny G-spot (kind of reminds me of my first girlfriend). My pogo pins just weren't very springy. I loosened them up with my fingers and surrounded the G-spot with tiny pieces of tape. That way I knew that there was only one place the pin could touch down. A guy on the Easybuy help forum turned my on to this. I spent an hour trying to align the chip before I tried the tape. After that it only took me about 30 seconds to get it aligned. Everything is working fine now.

#4 webmlucas

webmlucas

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for all your help. I found another way that helps you make contact. I took tape and covered all the other contacts around the D0 so that it was by itself. Next, I took some of that great 30 gauge wire (awesome stuff) and made a small knot. I cut the wire and left about a 4 mm "tail" I could stick into the hole of D0. This game me a MUCH bigger target to hit. I was able to get green on the first try and so far it seems to be holding well. Hard telling what the long-term results will be, but since this machine isn't moved too often I think it will be okay. Only thing I can say about doing this is that you probably shouldn't let the wire knot stray too close to those other contacts, even with the tape. Hope this helps someone...
Matt biggrin.gif

#5 Sheriff

Sheriff

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 01:24 AM

Or do this laugh.gif

Matrix Hack

Sheriff

#6 Nakor

Nakor

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 05:19 AM

So now that you have got the pogo's "unstuck" does the last one now appear to be making contact? Which one do you mean when you say the last one, is this the d0?

Look at the d0 point under a magnifying glass to check if there's anything covering it. Also check the LPC points, there might be something preventing contact with one of these, but I doubt it; if it was one of the LPC points that wasn't contacting you'd be getting three reboots and flashing green/red.

This means most likely the d0 point is where your problem lies. Clean the pogo's as well if you haven't already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users