Photo

New Splinter Cell Maps Cost $$$$....stupid!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 dbldown768

dbldown768

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 June 2004 - 11:34 AM

Anyone else mad that the new splinter cell maps are not free. From my understanding XBL was a pay service because they offer a community and downloadable content for support on their games. Now they finally release new maps and they are going to ask for more money. So lets see XBL has around 1 million users and on average charges $50 for that year... that equals a whole lot of money!

Well aside from my bitching i guess i had a question. Has anyone downloaded these levels? If so what do people think about trying to ftp them into a modded xbox? do you think it should work? do you think if you then tried to play on XBL with the chip off you could get banned? I would think we shouldn't have a problem playing on XLINK or XBC with it

#2 Ichijoe

Ichijoe

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 03:42 PM

Like I said a System where you can dump a bug ridden Games like the German Port of KotOR and then charge to Patches has got to be a Game Publishers biggest wet dream!

#3 rAph

rAph

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 01:19 PM

You've not played the new maps. They are amazing. If the developers take as much time and put in as much effort as they did for these 2 maps, then they should be rewarded. It's not like they threw them up in a few hours. And $5 is not expensive. If you think it's too much, then go buy yourself a gatorade and bag of chips at your school's snack machine.

#4 dbldown768

dbldown768

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 04:13 PM

Well its not that i cant afford the snack machine or the $5... its priciple. so maybe when u grow up you'd understand. First they say they offer downloadable content - thats where the $50 goes... now they want u to pay for it. then it was XBL arcarde was going to free now u have to pay for that.... PS2 online is free along with any content.... and as far as im concerned plays alot smoother.. now i know a bunch of people are going to say no way..( who never even played a ps2) but i have both so i should be able to give my opinion. MicroSux doesnt even do anything for the games. you host them, with your xbox, and your bandwidth. ... that is why games with a lot of players require so much more upload speeds then ususall....becuase you are not connecting ot some main server.

like i said $5 aint much...but neither is putting out a bug free game... these GREAT developers had to patch XBL as soon as the game came out cuz the Optimatch was even working right. uhh.gif

#5 wordsthatendini

wordsthatendini

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 04:34 PM

I agree with dbldown768, why am I paying for the game, then for the xbox live service, and then for the downloadable content.
They should provide at least some free maps, I can see after 6 months charging for the maps but provide something for the people who actually purchase the game because they might get content later.
$5 is expensive when you add up the costs to just play on xbox live. You have to factor the cost of the internet service and the cost per month just to play on xbox live. Not to mention the $50.
Xbox live doesnt give me a handjob just for subscribing to the service, so i should get something for it.

#6 rAph

rAph

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:06 PM

Dude, you pay $50 for Xbox Live and that money goes to MS. They provide a great unified service that makes it easy for developers to add online gaming and for consumers to play these online games. Some of the $50 goes to creating and maintaining this network, and the rest goes to curb some of the loses MS is suffering from hardware sales. MS is in the business to try to make some money... And Ubisoft probably gets a very small portion (if any?) of the XBL subscription fee. Making a map for this kind of multiplayer is very difficult and will cost them lots of money and take time away from the development of other games. It's not like in R6 where they threw a few pieces of shit maps together and released them as downloadale content. If they start doing that, then it becames a problem. I find nothing wrong in paying $5, as long as I get entertainment (I will be busy playing these maps for weeks). I really think Ubisoft deserves to profit from this franchise, which should give them a bigger budget to make even better SC games.

Edited by rAph, 15 June 2004 - 07:10 PM.

#7 dbldown768

dbldown768

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 08:20 PM

OK so since MS is cutting Ubi Soft out of some profit we have to pay. Thats retarded. I'm sure it doesnt take that long to produce a new level since the game engine is in place. does it cost them to pay thier developers...sure it does, but should i have to pay..probably not. Its understandable maybe to charge for some new level but they should also put out free ones as a gift to eveyone who is keeping them in business. Not to mention if they are going to implement these pay level, they should have an Optimatch to exclude them from your search if you dont have them. Why should i care to see 20 games playing with a level that i dont have.

Somehow they managed to get SC:PT online with PS2 and Sony doesnt ask for a $50 fee. And you know what... i bet they will have downloadable content as well.

What you are saying is because MS cheats other compays with we should pay. This is almost like going to a theater and paying $10 for some popcorn a pop that you normally can get for like $2. The theater isnt making jack on that movie... but how many people to you hear saying those consession prices are outrageous.

As far as MS making a unified network..thats crap. Since they need to have control over everything that is why xbox has missed out on all the EA games. Their design of not allowing tournaments(which they are now trying to add) and things of that nature has kept companies away from XBL. PS2 they give thier companies full control. Why do u think if EA wants to have some tournaments in Madden they can do it.... because they maintain it.

#8 mike96sc2

mike96sc2

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 June 2004 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (dbldown768 @ Jun 15 2004, 04:20 PM)

OK so since MS is cutting Ubi Soft out of some profit we have to pay. Thats retarded.

Okay so since MS runs Xbox live without any investment from Ubi Soft and provides the servers and such which allow SP2 to be played online instead of system link only or Ubi Soft paying money to run their own servers to let you play it I'd say MS doesn't owe Ubi Soft a dime because they don't charge the company to make their game Xbox Live compatable. They're saving Ubi Soft money and they're saving you money too. Suppose you had to pay to play on the kind of awesome servers Xbox Live has but you had to pay each developer of the game for that kind of security and support and everything else? Would suck wouldn't it?

I'm sure it doesnt take that long to produce a new level since the game engine is in place.

Are you so sure? There's still man hours and time that have to go into that, plus the packaging of it for download, compatability issues and everything else. If you think it's so quick and easy then got a job at Ubi-Soft and we'll all pay $5 to download 2 of your polished turds.

does it cost them to pay thier developers...sure it does, but should i have to pay..probably not.

Why shouldn't you pay, if you want it you pay for it, that's called business. There's no business model that can succeed when it involves giving everything away with no chance of return on that give-away.

Its understandable maybe to charge for some new level but they should also put out free ones as a gift to eveyone who is keeping them in business.

Um, they gave away what? 3 Levels FREE with the original Splinter Cell? This was some of the first non-MS downloadable content on live. So they do give stuff out you greedy bastard.

Not to mention if they are going to implement these pay level, they should have an Optimatch to exclude them from your search if you dont have them.  Why should i care to see 20 games playing with a level that i dont have.

Agreed, but I don't believe Xbox Live has the support for this yet.

Somehow they managed to get SC:PT online with PS2 and Sony doesnt ask for a $50 fee.  And you know what... i bet they will have downloadable content as well.

Then go play on Sony's shit servers with your dumbed down version of an awesome game that we got before they did. Also where is your downloadable content you won't be getting going to go? Don't say PS2 hard drive because the installed base is minimal. If there's downloadable content on the PS2 version anyways you'd be paying for it then too.

What you are saying is because MS cheats other compays with we should pay.  This is almost like going to a theater and paying $10 for some popcorn a pop that you normally can get for like $2.  The theater isnt making jack on that movie... but how many people to you hear saying those consession prices are outrageous.

They're not cheating other companies, Ubi Soft chooses to charge. You're paying because Ubi Soft wants that money, and it's premium content so they charge a premium price. Movie theaters show a movie for next to nothing profitwise, but for you to see that movie they charge a premium on the drinks and popcorn. If you don't like it you can choose not to pay that premium and go on your happy way. That's also called business.

As far as MS making a unified network..thats crap.  Since they need to have control over everything that is why xbox has missed out on all the EA games.  Their design of not allowing tournaments(which they are now trying to add) and things of that nature has kept companies away from XBL.

Go play on Sony's shit cobbled servers too, there's no friends list, no downloadable content, no intergration, hardly any voice chat, it's a shit service and on shit servers. Boo Hoo, we didn't get EA games, well that's EA's decision since they're paranoid as all hell. Also notice how DNAS is cracked so PS2 players could be playing ripped backups that are buggy as hell or betas or even trainer and cheat exploited games to kick your sorry ass. Kudos to MS for keeping it in house, when you give something to everyone some asshole will screw it up for the rest of you, that's Sony's problem right now.

PS2 they give thier companies full control.  Why do u think if EA wants to have some tournaments in Madden they can do it.... because they maintain it.

Fuck Madden, that's one game, and a crappy one at that. See how many genres of games, no how many games period, you can play online with the PS2 vs. the number of Xbox live games.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Quit your bitching you little baby.

Edited by mike96sc2, 15 June 2004 - 09:08 PM.

#9 wordsthatendini

wordsthatendini

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:51 PM

Hey idiots, you pay the $5 to MS. Your credit card is registered to an xbox live account... which is run by MS. When you get your bill it will say Xbox Live - MS. Ubisoft probably get a cut of the money but it isn't the full $5 worth.
Besides, they are coming out with Splinter Cell 3 already, using the same Graphic Engine as the first, not must not be too difficult to create the levels.

#10 wordsthatendini

wordsthatendini

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:54 PM

way to quote every line of his statement, what a vagina!
I wouldn't be half suprised when they release SC:PT for ps2, those "pay" levels are already in the game.

#11 mike96sc2

mike96sc2

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:59 PM

Well when ever line of a statement sucks and can be proven wrong then yes I did.

Calling someone a vagina though is just stupid. You'll learn what one is some day I'm sure, once you pass that third grade education.

Until then leave the name calling to be big boys, and those who know what they're talking about.

#12 wordsthatendini

wordsthatendini

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:04 PM

spoken like a true vagina.
Yeah, with my third grade education, hey nice avatar pediphile.

#13 mike96sc2

mike96sc2

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (wordsthatendini @ Jun 15 2004, 06:51 PM)
Hey idiots, you pay the $5 to MS. Your credit card is registered to an xbox live account... which is run by MS. When you get your bill it will say Xbox Live - MS. Ubisoft probably get a cut of the money but it isn't the full $5 worth.
Besides, they are coming out with Splinter Cell 3 already, using the same Graphic Engine as the first, not must not be too difficult to create the levels.

MS probably gets a few pennies to cover the costs of the credit card processing. I wouldn't expect them to take a loss on a charge.

Also where did you read SC3 is using SC1's engine?

It's not, also SC3 is bring worked on for the PC, not consoles yet so learn what you're talking about before you open your mouth.

How quickly you whinners forget about all the free Splinter Cell levels and maps that came out, now they're getting a little dough from it. Nobody said you had to buy them or anything else.

So either buy it and quit bitching or pay for it and quit bitching either way make like a tampon and suck it up.

#14 dbldown768

dbldown768

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:18 PM

ok...lets start with the packaging.... uh nothing... they didnt have to do anything but put it on probably the only server MS has dedicated to XBL downloads.

HAVE you even played on SONYS online....because I know vaginas like you never have. some guy on SC was trying to tell me XBL was better, but wait, HE DOESNT EVEN HAVE A PS2

Oh, and because they gave us 3 levels to play their game...which we bought....now we are supposed to give them more money.... piss on that.

AS for the PS2 hard drive...as far as i know its about 30gigs bigger than the standard xbox.... im sure they could only get 1 new level on that right?

Do you think that MS is really hosting your games for you.... if you do you are retarded...or maybe a vagina. because what does mS tell you if the game is choppy... get more upload speed or decrease the number of players. just want i'd want to do... lower the number of players or maybe instead of having cable for $40 a month i can get a T1 like for like $200. oh that would be better business right.

if these levels are premium content... then were does the line stop.! in your vagina!

Go play on Sony's shit cobbled servers too, there's no friends list, no downloadable content, no intergration, hardly any voice chat, it's a shit service and on shit servers.

Again... uh... they do have friends list... downloadable contenet(HARD DRIVE), and let me see, oh yea they have voice chat... and its better. U know why its better becuase it not on all the time which decreases the lag and overhead unlike XBL. This sounds like a statement from someone who would get down on their knees for bill gates.... or just an XBOX owner thats just mad they dont have a PS2

#15 wordsthatendini

wordsthatendini

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:20 PM

Yeah I guess they have never released a PC title and a console title around the same time. Not that the xbox is similar to a pc anyways.
I guess where the dev's for Doom3 have take almost 10 years to dev a completely new graphics engine it's only taken the SC dev's less then a year.
Sign me up for that crap.

Who cares about the levels for the orginal SC, they where small and not even worth the effort, and the multiplayer maps where kick ass!

I would be happy for them to just port over all the old maps from the orginal SC and play that in the mulitplayer.

I paid the $50 for the first game and got free levels, I paid the $50 for this one, wheres the free levels now.

Just really really Lame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users