Current version : 1.7.5
What started as a linux-based toolbox has now evolved into a "Ultimate Dashboard Exploit" installer. The mini-linux and its toolbox is still available in this all-in-one game save package.
As always - use the info and tools described here at your risk. Don't come whining if something goes wrong...
Thanks to whoever I borrowed code from, mainly the xbox-linux project. Credits for the Ultimate Dashbaord Exploit goes to Pedro and Rmenhal. The kernel patcher (nkpatcher) and the all-kernel PBL (PBL-Metoo) is the awesome work of Rmenhal.
- No linux command typing nessecary
- Works on all presently known kernels (3944-5838). PAL users need to take special measures. Read on...
- No dashboard downgrade nessecary. From v1.7 it will even work as it is without adding any additional files.
- Installs/uninstall the UDE. (uninstall is Xbox Live safe - complete removal).
- Retrieve eeprom and HDD password via M$ Dash, via game save.
- Includes all sorts of check to insure a working install and uninstall. Both are aborted if the installer finds than an install or uninstall is not possible. Once installed leave your system files (C-drive) alone!
- A backup of you eeprom is made
- A complete compressed backup of C: is made.
- This can be used to restore C: if this should get corrupted.
- Choose between PBL 1.4.1, PBL-Metoo, PBL-Lite and nkpatcher.
- Choose between MXM and Evox as default dash (other dashes can easily be added)
- Previous installations are detected allowing you to custemize PBL and your dashboard without loosing these changes on re-install/uninstall. Convienient when used as Xbox Live switch.
- Automatically makes a copy of your MS dash and patches it to look for the orignal fonts.
- Uses dualboot (determined by the DVD tray state) to reach the Installer menu and bypassing PBL and your default dash. (For rescuing an installation).
- Boxplorer is available as a filemanager. Users without ftp-access should be able to transfer files to their xbox this way. Usefull for changing the default dashboard.
- Includes a mini-linux with some usefull xbox modding tools, like xbedump
- Xbox with kernel 3944-5838. (If you have kernel 5530 or above you must choose nkpatcher or PBL-Metoo on installation).
- One of the ltools package. They are available at the 'usual places' (/XBOX/Operating Systems/linux/distributions/ltools) as "ready to use" packages including the ltools and game save hack. The are available for the 007 AUF, MechAssault and Splinter Cell games.
- Either dashboard 4920, 5659 or 5960 installed or the update.xbe from one of these dashboards. Alternative the exploitable update.xbe can be added directly to the package (see below).
- Either a memcard and an exploitable game (MA, SC, 007) or ftp access.
- The exploit used in this package does not suffer from the clock loop. An unset clock should also not prevent you from booting from an original game.
- When the UDE is installed you will be banned if you try to access Xbox Live console from the M$ Dashboard. Using the uninstall option will however completely remove the hacked files from C:, so it should be safe to access Xbox Live. One of the exploitable games are needed to re-install the UDE though. Keeping a copy of the update.xbe in the game save folder (see next point) will allow you to reinstall the package even after a dashboard upgrade on Xbox Live.
- The UDE1 exploit works on both NTSC and PAL xbox's, but only with kernel versions up to and including 5530. 5530 owners must either run nkpatcher or PBL-Metoo. Owners of newer kernels (5530+) should use UDE2.
- The UDE2 exploit works on all kernels together with nkpathcer or PBL-Metoo. Unfortunately it only works on NTSC xbox's. Actually, it works on xbox's that have the XBE region 01 set (US/Canada). PAL owners can set their XBE Region to 01 (without changing the video signal to NTSC) and thereby be able to use UDE2. This can be achieved with ConfigMagic for v1.0-1.5 xbox's and directly via the ltools package for all xbox's. Look here for more info on the ltools way of setting the XBE region.
- From version 1.7 the installer will try to generate the exploitable update.xbe file itself from an update.xbe found on the harddrive or in the package. For UDE1 it will generate the 4920 update.xbe. For UDE2 it will generate the NFL Fever 2003 update.xbe. Currently this should work automatically if you have dashboard 4920, 5659 or 5960 installed.
If you dont have one of these dashboard versions you dont nessecarely have to downgrade you dashboard. You can add either the exploitable 4920 update.xbe (UDE1) or NFL update.xbe (UDE2) or one of the update.xbe's from the dashboard versions above, directly to the memcard package or ftp it to the game save dir after you have ftp access. More on this :
- If you choose to add the update.xbe to the memcard package you need to compress it with zip to save space.(UDATA\xxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxx\files\update.xbe.zip). After adding this file rezip the UDATA folder to make it Action Replay software compatible.
- Alternatively install the package as it is and ftp the update.xbe to the xbox (E:\UDATA\xxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxx\files\) once you run the package and thereby has ftp-access.
- This package uses the hacked fonts designed by Rmenhal, in the version that check and sets and unset clock. This is supplemented with a small xbe also supplied by Rmenhel, that checks the DVD tray state on boot, thereby letting us boot to different xbe's on boot depending on whether the tray is open or closed. The boot process in this package is :
Tray Open -> E:\UDATA\xxxxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxx\default.xbe (x's depend on which package would got).
Tray Closed -> E:\BiosLD\default.xbe -> E:\Dashboard\default.xbe
The Tray-Open boot is a backdoor to let you reach the ltools menu to re-install/uninstall/backup/restore C, if you somehow messed up PBL or the dashboard PBL loads. This means that it is fairly safe to experimenting with adding a new Bios or a different default dashboard, since you can always reach the ltools menu (if you keep this package on the HDD and leave the bert-ate-ernie.xtf intact), from where you can re-install the UDE or gain ftp-access to undo your changes.
- The included Bios Loaders / patchers are :
- PBL 1.4.1 (the unofficial version with Focus chip support., doesn't work on 5530 kernels and above).
- PBL Lite (A cut down version of PBL 1.3, doesn't work on 5530 kernels and above. No USB/Controller problems. No S-video problems.).
- PBL-Metoo. Works on all kernels. No USB/Controller problems. No S-video problems.
- X2 4981 (should show as your kernel version once installed). Doesn't work on v1.6 xbox's
- Evox M8. Works on v1.6 xbox's as well as older versions. You cannot yet use the installer on a v1.6 though!
To use another BIOS just opload it to E:\pbl\Bioses
- Evox is the 3935 version. If you want to use another dashboard just upload it to E:\Dashboard (and be sure the xbe is called default.xbe
- Both the Evox and MXM dashboards can be used to ftp to your xbox :
IP : 192.168.0.3
Subnet : 255.255.255.0
User : xbox
Pass : xbox
- Download the package and transfer to your xbox either by a memory card, by ftp or by hotswapping. If you choose the hotswapping option have a look at xboxhdm. If you use a memcard, as always have in mind that Action Replay cards are known to sometimes corrupt large saves. These packages have been tested by ftp'ing them to an xbox, so if they dont work for you after using a memcard, corruption is the likely cause
- Once installed launch the installer by either trickering the game save hack through an exploitable game, or by launching it from your dashboard (E:\UDATA\xxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxx\default.xbe)
- When the ltools menu is reached you should have the following options (V1.6 owners look at the last paragraph):
- Run-linux. Run the contained mini-linux. Look here for more info.
- UDE install Will install the UDE1/2, PBL/PBL-Metoo (with X2 or Evox M8 bios) or nkpatcher, MXM/Evox and a patched copy of you current MS dash. If it is your first install, a compressed image of your C-drive will be made, the eeprom will be backed up and the HDD password is generated. I recommend that you retrieve this E:\backup_linux folder to your PC via ftp - or by copying the special game save that the installer creates to a memcard via the MS Dash..
The installer will take you through a series of questions to let you configure your setup. You can abort the installer at any time during this with the white button.
This installer should work no matter how your current setup is. However I recommend that you start from a unmodded state. Thereby the compressed image of C: that is stored will let you restore this virgen state in case you or xbox-live messes up your setup. (See below for info on the c-restore option).
The UDE-install and UDE-uninstall (see below), can be used as a Xbox Live switch. When running UDE install a second time the installer will check if the Bios Loader/Patcher and Dashboard directory already exists. If it does you will be prompted to choose whether to keep the existing installation or replace it with one from the installer. That way you can custumize your PBL and Dashboard without loosing these changes on re-install.
- UDE uninstall Uninstall UDE by completely removing the hacked files from C:. The installer will check that it is possible to revert C to a bootable state. If you removed some files nessecary for booting to an unmodded state the uninstaller will abort.
- BackupWill make a compressed image of C and store HDD password and eeprom. This is automatically done on the first install of UDE (if you didn't do it with this option beforehand). If you run the backup a second time you will be prompted whether you wish to just update the xbox information or re-generate the compressed image.
- Xbox Information. Display various information on your xbox, including the HDD password. Requires that the backup has been created. If this is not the case you will be asked to run the backup option.
- PBL Configure. Set the timeout for PBL 1.4.1 to either 1 sec. or 0 secs.
- c-restore. Clean the C-drive and restore it using a previous backup (generated be the backup option or the UDE installer). The restore option will abort if no backup is found.
- Then engine behind this installer is linux. When you run one of the options you will see some linux tools run. Some text-output will be seen on the screen to let you know how it goes! When the tool has finished you should be prompted that : "It's now safe to turn off your xbox". Also during the linux run the LED will be orange, but change to blinking green when the tools has finished. At this point it's safe to poweroff/reboot your xbox.
If you transfered the package but have no luck running it some likely causes are:
- You used a faulty memory card. Some memory cards are bad at transferring large game saves like this package (Action Replay cards are known to sometimes corrupt saves).
Try getting a smaller game save with only Evox included. When you have ftp access to your xbox your unzip the ltools package and ftp it to your xbox.
- You get error 21 when running the game save hack from MA,007,SC
Could be that :
- You custimized the package and forgot to inlude some nessecary files or forgot to sign the xbe's that you changed.
Redo the install from a fresh copy of the package. No signing should be nessecary.
- Your copy of the game is not exploitable. Some of the re-released versions of MA,007 have been patched to close the holes that the game save exploits use, like the MA Platinum hits. No solution to this other than get an original version.
- You have previously had MXM installed. MXM creates a menu cache. If you have previously had "DVD autolaunch" set, the MXM in this package will try to launch the game you used for this UDE package. But since the game save hack has changed the signature-key in memory the kernel will give error 21 when trying to lauch the M$ signed game.
Solution is to delete the MXM cache folders (E:\TDATA\00004321 and E:\UDATA\00004321) and retry.
- You custemized the package as mentioned in the first point.
- You custimized the package and forgot to inlude some nessecary files or forgot to sign the xbe's that you changed.
- The package installed but the xbox will not boot?
- Be sure you have kernel 5110 or below if you choose to install PBL, or a kernel 5530 or below if you installed nkpatcher.
- Be sure the installer got all the way through the installation. Maybe redo it!
- If you installed PBL, try to unplug all your controllers and reboot. PBL sometimes has problems when severel (and particularly wireless) controllers are plugged in.
- Sometimes the UDE hack will not tricker if the language setting is not the default one (english). Boot your exploitable game to uninstall the package. Enter your MS dash to set the language to English and reinstall the package.
- You have one of the rare xbox's that do not work with Rmenhal's generic font. Go to the official UDE thread and get the latest update fonts. Try the font specific for your kernel version. NOTE : You should edit the font to boot C:\dualboot.xbe for it to be compatible with this package.
- I messed up PBL or my default dashboard. My xbox will not boot.
Power on your xbox with the eject button. This should take you to the ltools menu to either fix your problems by ftp or use the installer to re-install UDE or restore C:
Alternative run the game save hack from your exploitable game to reach the same ltools menu.
When running the installer from the graphical (MXM) interface you will not get any video output on the screen (due to an incompatibility issue with the linux kernel and the Xcalibur video chip). You can still run the menu options as explained above, but you will not see any output to the screen. You can however get the information from the screen by retrieving the ltools.log file from the game save dir after installtion.
On the first install the installer will make a compressed image of the C-drive, for safety reasons and later restore capabilities. This will take some time, so just wait some minutes. When the installer is done the LED will turn from orange to blinking green, indicating that it's safe to turn off the xbox.
If you want to follow the installation interactively you can instead run the "mini-linux" from the MXM menu and make a telnet connection to the xbox (info in root post). Then type 'UDE' to start the installer which will take you through a series of setup questions.
Edited by ldots, 09 August 2004 - 09:43 PM.