• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 colibri

colibri

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:dial up px-303 and send thru a MALP to establish radio contact. "carter, I'm wearing your underwear"
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:01 AM

okay lamers I put together a tut for adding a tsop socket to your mobo. Perfect for flashing multi TSOPs at one sitting, this isn't explained though. only thing in the tut is taking bunny's idea and making a more in depth tut for the scene.. yes Iíve done it, yes it can be done, yes Iíve flashed many TSOPs via hot swap from raincoat and evox that tut will be made later if needed.. I appreciate constructive criticism and compliments on my hourís worth of typing and web serving.

i noticed when i click the link my shit freezes maybe it's just me just try copy and pasting in a new browser window, http://webpages.char.../xbox/index.htm

My Webpage Tutorials

Edited by colibri, 15 June 2004 - 10:09 AM.

#2 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:21 AM

Looks good!

You should provide a part number for the TSOP socket S-TSO-SM-40-A, and S-TSO-SM-032-A1, and links to buy the product. Maybe buy in bulk and resell them.

Also a part number for an EEPROM socket.

beerchug.gif

#3 colibri

colibri

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:dial up px-303 and send thru a MALP to establish radio contact. "carter, I'm wearing your underwear"

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:50 AM

here's a link to a wmp file that shows you my socket in action

http://www.meritec.c.../TSOPsocket.asx

and here's a link with the specs of my soctets i use.. yeah they are kinda expensive though i get them for cheap..

http://www.meritec.c...ckets/tsop.html ph34r.gif

#4 K0rd3rbackStyl3

K0rd3rbackStyl3

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 June 2004 - 12:10 PM

nice tut.....something easy and simple so I can understand.. laugh.gif but just curious, what cant you do? nice job!

beerchug.gif

#5 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 15 June 2004 - 01:16 PM

Does this cost a lot?

#6 dente98

dente98

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 15 June 2004 - 04:31 PM

Good work colibri! Someone shound Pin this.

#7 colibri

colibri

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 05:40 PM

Does this cost a lot?

the tsop sockets are supposed to be the most expensive part ranginf from 15-25 dollars but think of the benfits of having one.. to be able to flash via hot swap all v1.0-1.1 type and then v1.2+ type without using a 29 wire.. i desided to do the mod because i was repairing alot of mobo's for the scene.. oh and if you want to shit your pants look how much i just paid for a lot of 10

the last tsop socket auction on ebay.

#8 Monoxboogie

Monoxboogie

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 06:54 PM

Bump...Damn this guy's awesome. A true credit to the scene.

#9 elec_tech

elec_tech

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (colibri @ Jun 15 2004, 07:40 PM)

the tsop sockets are supposed to be the most expensive part ranginf from 15-25 dollars but think of the benfits of having one.. to be able to flash via hot swap all v1.0-1.1 type and then v1.2+ type without using a 29 wire.. i desided to do the mod because i was repairing alot of mobo's for the scene.. oh and if you want to shit your pants look how much i just paid for a lot of 10

the last tsop socket auction on ebay.

Thanks for the tutorial, this will come in very handy. Out of curiousity, how long does it take for you to desolder a dead tsop and then solder it back in after flashing?

#10 colibri

colibri

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for the tutorial, this will come in very handy. Out of curiousity, how long does it take for you to desolder a dead tsop and then solder it back in after flashing?

i got it down to an art it takes me like 5 minutes to remove a tsop and clean it up with a braid.. hot swap/flashing in a socket is like another 3-5 minutes depending on how you go about doing it.. i prefer telnet with raincoat.. and then resoldering is a few minutes because you have to align the tsop just like in the socket tut, and then touch the legs.. test.. then if you get a frag retouch.. but usually if you didn't take all the solder off the tsop pads you just touch once for around 1-2 seconds a leg..

#11 elec_tech

elec_tech

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (colibri @ Jun 15 2004, 09:25 PM)

i got it down to an art it takes me like 5 minutes to remove a tsop and clean it up with a braid.. hot swap/flashing in a socket is like another 3-5 minutes depending on how you go about doing it.. i prefer telnet with raincoat.. and then resoldering is a few minutes because you have to align the tsop just like in the socket tut, and then touch the legs.. test.. then if you get a frag retouch.. but usually if you didn't take all the solder off the tsop pads you just touch once for around 1-2 seconds a leg..

Sounds like a great method. Have you ever used a soldering torch? From what I've heard you can just heat up the entire chip and pull it off in one shot with a pair of tweezers, I'm looking at picking one up but I think I'll give your method a shot first to see how hard/quick I can do it.

Also about the hotswap and flashing, I'm assuming it's safe to pull out the tsop anytime after the dash boots up? I was thinking of just flashing to corrupt bios with evox from my HD or dvd, why do you prefer raincoat? (just curious, I don't know anything about that method).

#12 colibri

colibri

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 08:21 PM

Have you ever used a soldering torch?

naw I'm poor i can't afford rich boy toys..

and the part about hot swapping.. yeah it's pretty self explainatory.. you just swap when you get to the evox flash directory or raincoat b4 your type "./raincoat bois.bin"

#13 elec_tech

elec_tech

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (colibri @ Jun 15 2004, 10:21 PM)

naw I'm poor i can't afford rich boy toys..

and the part about hot swapping.. yeah it's pretty self explainatory.. you just swap when you get to the evox flash directory or raincoat b4 your type "./raincoat bois.bin"

I'm doing these xboxes for work and have talked my boss into picking one up biggrin.gif I also repair car amps that have a lot of FET's to replace so the torch will pay off for him pretty quick.

BTW, is there any danger of damaging the xbox or tsop when doing a hot swap?

#14 colibri

colibri

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 09:56 PM

you will be fine doin a hot swap provided you use a socketed tsop to hotswap.. if you do it anyother way i can't promise anything.. oh and make sure you put the tsop in correctly.. other wise you'll fri the tsop..

#15 elec_tech

elec_tech

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (colibri @ Jun 15 2004, 11:56 PM)
you will be fine doin a hot swap provided you use a socketed tsop to hotswap.. if you do it anyother way i can't promise anything.. oh and make sure you put the tsop in correctly.. other wise you'll fri the tsop..

Thanks for all the replies. BTW, is there any way of flashing a 32 pin tsop in a 40 pin socket? I have a 1.0 and will be setting that up as a programmer, and would obviously like to be able to flash all tsops from the one machine. I'm guessing the pin layouts are different and won't work but haven't come across anything about this. Has anyone tried this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users