#1 g4zz4

g4zz4

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:06 AM

I just got rising sun 2nd hand, and like most disc's its a bit worse for wear. I backed it up to make sure it didn't get any worse.

I've backed up all the files apart from a *.mad file which I think is a movie file based upon the frequency of these mad files and the pinned post regarding saving hard disc space. I think the reason why this file cannot copy is down to a dirty disc. I've cleaned and polished the disc, but there still is some light scratches. I wouldn't mind skipping the movie, but I think its the last movie of the game, probably the end sequence and is very large (about 150MB) so I'd probably want to see it should I get close to completing it

anyone else had this problem? Is it a dirty disc error or is it some kind of backup protection. Right now I'm at work so I cannot remember the exact file name but I think the path is data/1/1_9/xxx9out.mad. I can edit the post later to add the exact file if this helps

#2 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:39 AM

If the disc is damaged there isn't much you can do other than cleaning the disc (or maybe using something like Skip Doctor).

You may want to consider contacting EA. Sometimes game companies will replace scratched discs for you if you send them the damaged disc.

#3 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:43 AM

It sounds like there is actually physical damage to the disc that cleaning won't help. There are those products that are supposed to fix things like that, but from what I've heard...half the time they make it worse! Trying to get a new copy from the manufacturer probably wouldn't work in this case because you got the disc second-hand and may not have a store receipt.

I wouldn't recommend this in any other situation, but maybe you could rent a copy of the game, toss in your Xbox while your dashboard is up, and FTP that file over to your PC to fill in the blank. This isn't any more immoral than making a backup of your own original, so I can't see the harm in it. Just make sure you retain your original copy, even in it's non-working state, in case any questions should ever arise about the backup (who knows...).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users