91 replies to this topic

#1 mark876543

mark876543

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:13 AM

When backing up Harry Potter POA I get a "too long filename" error. In the past games like this needed a special patcher to not only rename but relink the files. Enter the Matrix was one. Anyone having this problem and found an answer? Just renaming a file to a shorter name isn't a very good fix because the game will lock when the program calls the original filename and can't find it. It might appear to run, depending how long it takes to get to the place where that file is needed.

#2 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 02:24 PM

Sigh...

DVD2Xbox .58 with the HP ACL file.

#3 UnderToad

UnderToad

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (opjose @ Jun 16 2004, 04:24 PM)
DVD2Xbox .58 with the HP ACL file.

Is there a specific HP ACL? Been hunting all over, including Rahszhul ACL's.

Edit:

Perhaps more info may be usefull.
The game copies over fine with 31 files renamed. Game will play about 95% to its completion then locks with a Dirty Disk Error. I've tried Dvd2Xbox (ftp and Craxtion), Avalaunch, direct ftp from D: then Craxtion an .ISO and burn.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by UnderToad, 16 June 2004 - 03:27 PM.

#4 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 04:22 PM

It sounds like a specific file has been missed.

There were other posts referring to a ACL file for HP POA that dealt with the filename issues.

I can't say I've encountered this problem as I ended up using Avalaunch both to copy the game down, and also to copy it to the HDD w/o problems with the long file names.

#5 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 June 2004 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (opjose @ Jun 16 2004, 01:22 PM)
I can't say I've encountered this problem as I ended up using Avalaunch both to copy the game down, and also to copy it to the HDD w/o problems with the long file names.

Have you tried playing it, though? Avalaunch's implementation of FATX2 renames long filenames to be FATX-compliant and keeps a catalog of these files so anytime you need to access one of them it will be transparent within Avalaunch. However, other applications aren't aware of Avalaunch's tricks, so the game would punt you to do the dash and give you a DDE when it couldn't find the file.

I haven't looked at any of Avalaunch's recent changes, but unless it has been updated to automatically relink all references to these files in all dependant XBEs, I can't see that the above would be outdated.

#6 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 06:42 PM

Yeah it plays fine. We haven't gotten to the very end though.

Though I did not see it attempting to rename the files.

In addition I can't move the files from one partition to another using say Boxplorer because of the long file names, so I had assumed that they are still intact.

I must have missed this name truncation though.

I also used it to copy The Matrix which I played thru on the hard drive w/o the filename patch.... so are you sure about this filename shortening?

Do you remember offhand where it keeps the log?

I couldn't find any in the game directory or Avalaunch directory to check the xfer.

Thanks.

Edited by opjose, 16 June 2004 - 06:48 PM.

#7 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 06:57 PM

ARGGH!

Sorry, you were right!

Well there's one less xfer solution...

#8 hereticx

hereticx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 June 2004 - 07:33 PM

We have more people in this thread (thread) that are having the same problems, and have tried the same solutions. If we can make one thread about this game that would make keeping track of the problem and hopefully the solution easier.

#9 mark876543

mark876543

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 01:07 PM

I don't see any difference between renaming files to shorter names and just deleting the files. The result would be exactly the same: the game will run until it looks for that file, then crash. With all three of four games that have had this type issue there are always dozens of people claiming success with just renaming the files, but it's because they haven't played to the point in the game that actually tries to USE that renamed file. Sometimes the offending file can be very seldom called for. But when that happens, it will puke, because the game program is still looking for the original-named file. Making a patcher that can relink the game to the new file name must be pretty hard because I have only ever seen it done on a case by case basis. I'm not real sure why they have file renaming features in apps because it confuses people (makes them think it's really fixed). But it does let you copy the game and play to some degree at least. Until there is a fix that includes relinking within the game, the only real workaround is to play from DVD. DVD backups don't have the fliename issue, just ftp the disc contents to PC and make an iso from that. Using that method you encounter no illegal filename errors and get no renamed files. Don't use dvd2xbox's renaming feature or any similar copiers that rename, or the game will always hang sooner or later.

The reason I started this thread was of course that 1. search never works and 2. the title of the other thread says nothing about harry potter or long file names so you could read for twenty years and not find it by the title.

#10 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:29 PM

Absolutely correct.

It seems that I had also been fooled by Avalaunch renaming files and had missed that it was doing this. Ugh.

There is a PPF file to patch an ISO copy floating about.

That means that a PFF file could be created to fix the XBE itself as well.

Couple this with a batch file to fix the names and you'd have a nice non-copyright infringing downloadable fix for HDD play.

#11 Juniorman030790

Juniorman030790

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 June 2004 - 06:46 PM

Is there a way o fix this where the game won't crash? I have the same problem dry.gif

I don't understand all this technical talk can sum1 just tell me how to fix it please?

Edited by Juniorman030790, 17 June 2004 - 06:53 PM.

#12 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:10 PM

Uh, ok.

Rename the long file names, find where they occur in the XBE using a hex editor and shorten the name in the XBE.

Simple.

#13 Juniorman030790

Juniorman030790

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:01 PM

Sry for askin so many ?'s but im dumb. What hex editor should i use?

#14 bobintrees

bobintrees

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 12:49 AM

They dont occur in the xbe, or in any other file. They must be encrypted or compiled into something else that isnt viewable with a hex editor.

The other option is to look at the fix for the pal version and try to figure out what it changes. I looked at it a little, but besides the filename changes, there is nothing else i can understand.

#15 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:13 AM

They HAVE to be in the XBE. Try doing binary searches for portions of the files...maybe without extensions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users