Photo

How To Uninstall A Modchip On/off Switch (lpc Mod)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pr0nstar

pr0nstar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 08:30 PM

Well the problem is the following:

I bough a Xbox with LPC Modchip and On/Off Switch.
Everything was fine and installed properly.
When i received it today i opedned the console up to swap hdd withh a 80 gig one.

Then i realized that the guys who installed the switch made the cables (2) for the switch so fucking small that one was ripped while opening the console (the d0 one).

well everything would be fine if the modchip would be activated and i couldnt switch it off but IT IS DEACTIVATED AND THE CABLE ISNT ON THE SOLDER POINT so there is no way to activate the chip.

so im sitting here with my xbox with has a lpc in it but the modchip is deactivated.....

Is there a wy to unsintall the switch .... i mean my executer (other xbox) works dfine and has no on/off switch so it should be poissible to use the lpc if the switch is gone right?

PLZ HELP ME THX
PS: I HAVE NEVER SOLDERED BEFORE

#2 rAph

rAph

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 10:20 PM

To turn the LPC modchip on you need to have the d0 point grounded. Which I'm assuming is the one you ripped off. What the switch does is it toggles ground and not ground between the solder point you ripped off. If you remove the switch, then d0 will never be grounded and will never load off of the LPC chip. Chips work that don't have a switch because they have a wire running from d0 to ground all the time, without a switch allowing you to break the connection. So in a nutshell, you need that wire solderd, with or without a switch. So either solder it back on yoursel (it should be quite easy since there should already be a little solder on the point) or send it back to the modders. I just hope you didn't rip the trace off.

But anyway, how did you rip it off? The harddrive has no parts that are close to the d0 point anyway.

#3 pr0nstar

pr0nstar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 06:50 AM

the guys installed the cable on the plasic of the xbox not on the backside .. arg

#4 Captain_Dunsel

Captain_Dunsel

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 06:01 PM

There are two "typical" D0 attachment points... one on the top side and one on the bottom side of the mobo. Since one of your switch wires is still connected, you should be able to determine whether it was connected to the top or bottom... then, based on photos found on this site and elsewhere, you can find the two points that should be connected to the switch and reason out which one needs to be reconnected. As rAph states, there's probably a solder blob and possibly a little piece of wire still attached, so the correct point should be relatively easy to find...

Having done that, the soldering may be the tough part, especially if you've never done it before. Suggest that you bribe someone you know who DOES know how to solder to make the connection for you... and, while you're at it, have him/her add some extensions to those switch wires. smile.gif

Captain Dunsel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users