11 replies to this topic

#1 XboXP

XboXP

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:18 AM

has anyone able to get their wireless xbox adapter to run the speed that it was advertise or at least close to it?? If you do, will you please show me how to do it?? When connect to the router with CAT5 wire, it transfers speed is about 8 - 10 mb/s but when I use wireless adapter it only run at 600 - 800 kb/s.

I have a D-Link model DI-614+

Hope someone could help me out!!!

#2 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:04 AM

Yup that's about right for the D-Link.

It's only an 802.11b so 500-800kb/sec is pretty good.

#3 Boff

Boff

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:57 AM

what you have to remember is that the 8-10mb is megabits not megabytes, so as already replied, the speeds your gettings are about right.

#4 XboXP

XboXP

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 12:48 PM

but isn't it the xbox wireless adapter advertise that with 802.11b it will run up to 11 mb/s ??

damn, maybe the UP TO has something to do with it.

#5 seven5

seven5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 17 June 2004 - 02:36 PM

if you've tangled with networking longer than a week, you'd know that nothing meets the actual advertised speeds. Hell this goes for anything, battery life, network speeds, firewire speeds, harddrive speeds.. etc.

802.11b is just too slow for video. go upgrade to 802.11g and you'll be fine. I was running b and was very dissapointed, but now i'm all set up, its great.

#6 ryan-neil

ryan-neil

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 06:49 PM

Hi,

I have a cisco ccna, that certified network associate, you will never get 11mbps per second from 802.11b wifi, no one can, its not possible enen if your 5inches form you access point. Bullshit i hear you scream it says it on the box, well the xbox is right and so am i. Heres the techie reason why.

Standard ethernet with wires and all, runes at 200mbps, crap you say again, well no its not, you know that funny thing saying full duplex, that means you can send and recieve at the same time, heres the maths, 2x100 = 200, !!very good!!. it also uses csma/cd, basically meaning a pc scans the wire for traffic and if none is spotted it sends but then there was cd, collision detection, if it cops a collision all devices back off for a rendom amount of time and send again.

wifi or 802.x cos g and a use the same use csma/ca, ca standing for collision advoidance, so wifi is not simply a wireless version of ethernet, the prob is csma/ca has an over head of 50%, yep you spanking new 11mbps is only good for 5.5 in reallife, add wep and drop that again, thats why you only get say 27mbps out of you a and g stuff, lession here, b is good for sharing you household internet as i do, nothing else, but then again im running a and b, b for internet and a seperate a network for my xbox and media streaming to my laptop from my fileserver.

Lesson:\\

Dont buy B get G every time and remember its still 4 times slower than ethernet so cable if you can, no noise to mess signal, cheaper, faster and if u get a switch then every machine gets 200 all the time rahter than the 11 that is shared between everyone with wifi.

#7 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:25 PM

Absolutely right, although advertising the CCNA is like saying "I'm fresh out of school...". heh...

However unless the bit rate of your movies is over 500k/sec (such as for DVD's...) even a 802.11b can suffice for streaming media.

I do movies over 802.11b all the time (up to and including ones encoded at 700k or so) w/o any problems...

#8 ryan-neil

ryan-neil

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:50 PM

Indeed your right, two weeks now an still no certificate for my wall.

But i do find 802.11a is that bit better as i store any xvids i make as a single 1.4gb file, 2 cds, with a i find that ghosting is non existant due to the higher toughput being able to handle the higher bit rate. but also another good reason for choosing a or g, a i choose because it never took off in europe so no interferance from anyting but mainly because with a or g at you get maybe 15+ mbps when you would only be getting 5 if your lucky wiith b, b is only really usefull to me if i stay with in the 11mbps zone, after that esp with high biitrate movies your introuble, a lot better with two aps in bridging mode because you can get a 27mbps connection where b would be useless, or only getting between 3 and 5. But thats just my drawn out and over compicated view of it all.

But with wifi gone so cheap its worth paying the small premium for a or g, but not for those xbox or linksys bridges, what a rip off, you can get an netgear a ap for 30 dollors on ebay and a crossover cable with it, 2 of them is the same as ive seen some of the b xbox game adaptors go for, hum two powered aps in bridging mode, so should work with kai to or overprced b or g dediicated bridge whats wont have as good a range or performace as well as allow pcs near the xbox a connection to you internet on the other ap with router,

I knwo which i would choose. Now if you dont mind im ging to sit in my back garden, the joys of having and ap in your boiler shed, if i dont who will.

#9 XboXP

XboXP

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:55 PM

hehe well, thanks guys, I understand and all, but it's just weird that how with wire it run at 8-10 mb/s but than with wireless it run not even close to what it was advertise......i mean come on, advertise to run 11 mb/s but than only run a 500 kb/s ??? man, someone should go sue the company laugh.gif

#10 seven5

seven5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 10:55 PM

this guys still doesn't get it.

yo dude, they advertise 11megBITS per second, there is 8 bits per byte. Do the math

thats a maximum throughput of 1.2 megs persecond, but you'll never see that, thats just the way it goes.

500 is a nice speed for 802.11b. Deal with it.

#11 seven5

seven5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 11:02 PM

this guys still doesn't get it.

yo dude, they advertise 11megBITS per second, there is 8 bits per byte. Do the math

thats a maximum throughput of 1.2 megs persecond, but you'll never see that, thats just the way it goes.

500 is a nice speed for 802.11b. Deal with it.

#12 ryan-neil

ryan-neil

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 02:10 AM

Yeah there you have it, like he said 1.2 minus your 50% for csma/ca as described above and bobs your uncle theres your 600 - 800 kb/s.

Edited by ryan-neil, 18 June 2004 - 02:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users