• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Incestocide

Incestocide

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:34 PM

I'm new to the site and new to modding. I've read the guides and FAQs, and I know that there are many many different modchips out there. The problem is, I don't know which one is best for my system. I've heard pros and cons about all different chips, and I'm sure you've had this topic answered many times. I'm just looking for someone with an Xbox v1.0, like myself, so I can chat with them and see just what I need to get the ball rolling. I've read many different tutorials, but some of them have different requirements for the same modchip. It's really confusing. If you want to try and get a hold of me through AOL Instant Messanger, my SN is Inc3stocide. VERY much abliged. Thanks a whole bunch, and sorry again for the repetitiveness of my question.

#2 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  • Interests:Doesn't matter...
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:45 PM

just so you know, 1.0 xboxes aren't that different from others when modchips come into play. pretty much any modchip will work. you just need to choose the one that is best for your needs. read the "what modchip should i choose" pinned topic

#3 Incestocide

Incestocide

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:55 PM

I've been looking at that table, and don't understand a few things. What I'm trying to do is get a modchip that is preferably solderless. I want to be able to backup games to my harddrive, and be able to play MP3s and the sort. Price isn't a problem. I've also read about chips with pre-installed BIOS, is it very hard to install your own BIOS? I beleive all I would need to do is just burn the file onto a disk, along with a dummy file, and then just save those files to my Xbox. Or am I thinking of something else? I'm reading on the SmartXX, and it says it has multiple BIOS', does that mean there is a switch or something to switch between BIOS'? Thanks for all the help.

#4 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (Incestocide @ Jun 17 2004, 03:55 PM)
I've been looking at that table, and don't understand a few things. What I'm trying to do is get a modchip that is preferably solderless. I want to be able to backup games to my harddrive, and be able to play MP3s and the sort. Price isn't a problem. I've also read about chips with pre-installed BIOS, is it very hard to install your own BIOS? I beleive all I would need to do is just burn the file onto a disk, along with a dummy file, and then just save those files to my Xbox. Or am I thinking of something else? I'm reading on the SmartXX, and it says it has multiple BIOS', does that mean there is a switch or something to switch between BIOS'? Thanks for all the help.

pretty much any modchip will allow you to do this. it's all dependant on the bios. and yes, you will need to flash your bios. chips come pre-flashed but the bios on the chip will not allow you to boot unsigned code. it is use to flash your own bios with a disk (like you said). if you want a solderless chip, there are a few you can choose (xecuter 2.3 lite+, xenium w/ solderless adaptor, XBIT,...)

#5 FierceGaming

FierceGaming

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:webdesign--
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:14 PM

I have not even modded an Xbox yet but will..alot of people have told me to solder it instead of the other things, forget what you call them.

#6 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (FierceGaming @ Jun 17 2004, 05:14 PM)
I have not even modded an Xbox yet but will..alot of people have told me to solder it instead of the other things, forget what you call them.

yes, this is very true. lots of ppl have problems with solderless chips (not all ppl, but quite a few). the main prob with solderless chips is that they can get loose and you have to realign it. on the other side, some have never gotten any probs.

it's mainly preference but if you feel confident in your soldering skills, you should solder. you can also have someone install the chip for you.

Edited by atomiX, 17 June 2004 - 07:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users