• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 firewahl

firewahl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 02:39 AM

[B]I have solved my dirty disk error!!!!!!
The solution is easier then one might think. I tried and tested everything that was posted and nothing helped......All I did was switch the jumper on my dvd-burner to CS as opposed to master or slave. I think it may depend on which burner you use and how it's connected. Mine is an LG 8x connected thru an external enclosure with a usb2 plug.
I'm sooooo happy I could do a little dance....hang on...there! I did it...I danced a little dance.
I hope this helps someone.
Cheers

#2 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 June 2004 - 03:25 AM

cable select

Yes, that fixes everything dry.gif mad.gif blink.gif uhh.gif jester.gif

Edited by Mr Ed, 19 June 2004 - 03:29 AM.

#3 rpmarens

rpmarens

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 06:36 AM

why would switching the jumper to cable select on the burner fix the dirty disc errors?

#4 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 June 2004 - 09:22 AM

I'm with these guys...that wouldn't change a thing. If your BIOS detected the drive when it was slave/master, then it was fine.

#5 firewahl

firewahl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 10:13 AM

I don't know hy it would fix it, all I can say is that it did fix it for me. I'm not claiming world peace here guys! This is what fixed my problem and all I said was that I hope it helps someone else as well.
No backups created whilst my jumper was on slave or master seemed to escape the dirty disk error until I switched to cs.

#6 sdburg

sdburg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 01:49 PM

by using your dvd burner through the usb port, your master/slave option isn't working 100% through the usb port, the send and recieved signals sometimes crash,when you use c/s the dvd burner/pc select which channels to send and recieve the data thats why its better to use your burner internal and with a highspeed ide cable (133) and set the burner to master, if you have a dvd rom as well set that to slave from the harddrive and your dvd's will burn quicker with less errors..When i say quicker it will still be 4x for example but rather than taking 25 mins to burn a full dvd it will take around 15.

Edited by sdburg, 19 June 2004 - 01:52 PM.

#7 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 June 2004 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (firewahl @ Jun 19 2004, 07:13 AM)
I don't know hy it would fix it, all I can say is that it did fix it for me. I'm not claiming world peace here guys! This is what fixed my problem and all I said was that I hope it helps someone else as well.
No backups created whilst my jumper was on slave or master seemed to escape the dirty disk error until I switched to cs.

I get the feeling that the DDE went away for an unrelated reason. The switch to CS was just a coincidence.

#8 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 June 2004 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (chefelf @ Jun 19 2004, 07:55 AM)
I get the feeling that the DDE went away for an unrelated reason. The switch to CS was just a coincidence.

We have a winner. beerchug.gif

#9 firewahl

firewahl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 04:35 PM

One would like to think that, however......3 tries with each title wound up in the garbage, tested on 2 seperate x-boxes with burner set to master as well as slave and the only back-ups that were fruitful occured once the jumper was moved to c/s. Why is that so hard to believe, AND why would I bother making it up? Hmmmm, perhaps it wasn't the setting....perhaps it was the work of leprechauns!?!?!
Seriously, I think that it is much harder to believe the backups were succesful by fluke (with setting jumper to c/s) especially with all of the trial and error(mostly error runs) then it is to belive that I corrected my problem by changing the jumper in a very convuluted dvd-writer setup.
BONUS TOPIC:I was able to backup smaller titles regardless of the jumper setting i.e:1.2gig backed up fine, anything above 2.5 gigs did not.

#10 sdburg

sdburg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 04:43 PM

did you use the same media???

#11 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,752 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 June 2004 - 05:01 PM

id like to tell you a little story if i may...

An 80 year old man was having his annual check-up and the doctor asked him how he was feeling. "I've never been better!" he boasted. "I've got an eighteen year old bride who's pregnant and having my child! What do you think about that!?"

The doctor considered this for a moment, then said, "Let me tell you a story. I knew a guy who was an avid hunter. He never missed a season. But one day went out in a bit of a hurry and he accidentally grabbed his umbrella instead of his gun." The doctor continued, "So he was in the woods and suddenly a grizzly bear appeared in front of him! He raised up his umbrella, pointed it at the bear and squeezed the handle."

"And do you know what happened?" the doctor queried. Dumbfounded, the old man replied, "No."

"Well," the doctor continued, "the bear dropped dead in front of him!"

"That's impossible! exclaimed the old man. "Someone else must have shot that bear."

"That's kind of what I'm getting at," replied the doctor.

#12 firewahl

firewahl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 05:06 PM

Ok, and this would fall into the realm of........hmmmmm, somebody else came along and switched my media,cables,backups?
I'm sorry, but I just fail to see the correlation, unless you are inferring that someone else made love to my dvd-burner?!?
and yes.....I did use the exact same media.

#13 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 June 2004 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (firewahl @ Jun 19 2004, 02:06 PM)
unless you are inferring that someone else made love to my dvd-burner?!?

I think that is exactly the point that is trying to be made.

#14 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,752 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 June 2004 - 06:11 PM

well my point was the same as chefelfs, something else happened/was changed that got rid of your DDE

whether or not that that something else was intercourse with your burner im not sure though

Edited by lordvader129, 19 June 2004 - 06:12 PM.

#15 xFusioNx

xFusioNx

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 06:33 PM

You know I heard of a way to get rid of it too...

change your disc drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users