75 replies to this topic

#31 fahrenheit

fahrenheit

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (xFusioNx @ Jun 25 2004, 04:19 AM)
It's not that loud to begin with. If you wanna hear loud come take a listen to my computer. I have to shut the door to my office just to watch a movie. Any my living room is over 20 feet away. I can't even talk on the phone near my computer because it sounds like a fucking factory.

Now that's loud, not a little slight hum that comes from the xbox.

What hardware you choose to place in your office is entirely up to you. Also if you enjoy being clinically deaf, then that is also your choice.

In my lounge is a home theatre system, which job it is to make my AV experience an enjoyable one, from the lowest whisper to the loudest explosion.
My PS2 and to a lesser degree, Gamecube do not produce annoying mechanical noise. Neither do my DVD player or VCR, but the un-modded Xbox, purely as a piece of home theater equipment is flawed. Try playing a survival horror game and hearing the disc seek, just at a tense moment and it kills the surprise.
Sony were able to revise their initially noisy PS2 to make it whisper quiet, but with MS's use of vastly different components from one Xbox to the next, you never know what you are in for until you plug it in.

With the increase in speed and heat, I am concerned with what the next generation of hardware will sound like, but if MS want the next Xbox to be the centre-piece of my lounge, they better do a bloody good job of making sure I can't hear it.

Some people may not be concerned at all by the noise, others are more sensitive, that doesn't make them a "crybaby", just astute listeners.

#32 cromat44

cromat44

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 June 2004 - 04:41 AM

people only bitch about the size of teh xbox because its bigger than the other systems.... but its shape an size are perfect imo, it fits in the main pocket of almost ALL backpacks perfect. the other systems don't... and my dog is able to pick up my GC, but he can't pick up my xbox... he's a pretty big dog too... I don't think many of you have the console stealing dog problem though tongue.gif ... PM and ill sell him to you so he can steal people's GCs so you can sell them on ebay

#33 miazmaticdotcom

miazmaticdotcom

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:45 AM

Yeah, the Xbox is pretty loud for a console. Then again, it's the most powerful console ever, gotta stay cool!

#34 xFusioNx

xFusioNx

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 03:30 PM

Some people may not be concerned at all by the noise, others are more sensitive, that doesn't make them a "crybaby", just astute listeners.

OK Mr Astute Listener.

Unless you have a Thomson drive and a Western Digital HDD it's not fucking loud.

The new Seagates by the way are the quietest OEM drive put into the xbox.

#35 anonymooz

anonymooz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (miazmaticdotcom @ Jun 25 2004, 10:45 AM)
Yeah, the Xbox is pretty loud for a console. Then again, it's the most powerful console ever, gotta stay cool!

nothing will EVER top the dreamcast's cd drive.
so insanely loud.

#36 browndanielusn

browndanielusn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Coding, Database Design, anything computer related.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 June 2004 - 05:15 PM

it really wouldn't matter to me if the xenon was as big as a couch, that would just same me money on furniture biggrin.gif

#37 EvilWays

EvilWays

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:08 PM

You want big?

As I look into my closet right now, I see my old 3DO (FZ-1)...that fucker is huge compared to the physically scaled down FZ-10, and most other consoles out to date! Got the Sega Saturn sitting on top of the 3DO and an Atari Jaguar sitting on top of the Saturn. The Saturn is bulky too (size-wize) but I don't recall too many people bitching about its size.

BTW, when I bought my PS2 and Xbox (same day), I didn't have my car with me so I had to CARRY it half a mile or so home (and neither of them were bagged...fucking ShopKo). I bitched and complained about the weight all the way home, but stopped when I finally was able to plug them in and use them.

Whether "Project Xenon" is bigger or smaller than the Xbox...who cares? Xenon is M$ next-gen system...just enjoy it! dry.gif

#38 fahrenheit

fahrenheit

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (xFusioNx @ Jun 26 2004, 04:30 AM)

OK Mr Astute Listener.

Unless you have a Thomson drive and a Western Digital HDD it's not fucking loud.

My point is, that MS made little effort to keep the Xbox noise at a minimum, or at least at the same standard thanks to the hardware variations. They revised the GPU heatsink and then that was it.

Remember that this tread is about looking forwards and I am just speculating about what can be expected of the next gen based on the past.
MS won't want you to just fire up your X2 console for the odd game, they want to own your living room and that will mean having the console on for as long as your TV or stereo is on or longer, so I think that more noise is going to undermine that goal.

#39 mattb

mattb

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Anything the ATF considers illegal. Wait, I'm just joking and I don't smoke! Wink, Wink!
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:15 AM

I liked PS2 4 years ago. Now the gaming/computer world needs kickass power and not Japanese economy. If you want lolly pops and shit to come with Xbox 2 then go cry to Sony. I admire power and performance in all shapes and sizes. Think about it! How often will you think of the size of the Xbox2 when the thing offers a deep gaming experience? If you answered "often" to this question, invite your interior decorator to help mod your box. And Oh..., while your at it tell your decorator to put their finger in the power supply (MAGICAL MANICURE MACHINE).

#40 xFusioNx

xFusioNx

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:21 AM

Yeah really, it'll better and badder than anything else so who gives a fuck how big it is?

LIFT SOME WEIGHTS AND ITS SIZE AND WEIGHT WONT BOTH YOU!

#41 Mixmusix

Mixmusix

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:15 AM

man Fusion can you calm down man this is just a bunch of other people opinions

NO NEED TO SHOUT TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS

i think everyone here understands that u dont give a F***K how big Xenon is gonna be so no need to post about it in caps every 5-6 posts.

#42 Psykomantis00

Psykomantis00

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:30 AM

when I got my first xbox, the day it came out, I had already had my ps2. But I reluctantly bought an xbox. I looked at the box and I wondered if it was a display model, but nope it was the actual thing. EB actually had to order specially made bags to hold my order. When I pickd it up I was having a hard time getting it through other stores, not becuase of the weight, but the awkwardness of the huge box banging on my legs when i walked. Along with the system I also bought Halo, Fusion Frenzzy, another game that I took back, I cant even remember the name. Ohh wait it was oddworld. Anyway, I get home and I look in the box. Hopefully everyone has opened a new xbox before, thats the greatest experience I have ever had. I opened it, and omg it was right there. I plugged it in and marveled at its sleekness and it finnally gave me something to make my entertainment system complete. I mean how many other systems have a hard drive to store music? When I first played halo I was in awe. I pryed myself away from my baby to go back to the mall and get 3 more controllor and a memory card. I also got a some mags on the xbox. I played halo for a very long time. I still do play halo, but its not the same.

That whole post is how my reaction to the first xbox was. If you think itsbig when u buy it just wait till you play it becasue even if it is as big as a computer it will have a ton of features. Right now in my room I have 2 xbox's and 2 tv's and my computer, my bed, my monitor, my desk that is the same size as the big teachers desks. Its one of the metal ones. I also have my dresser but that info isnt needed. Right now Im working on my gaming room, I live with my mom (one put down about me living with my mom and Ill find you and come kill you) (btw Im only 17 and now am a seior) but we live in a 6 bed room house with 2 baths and I basically own the downstairs and there are 3 rooms down here including mine and a laundry room and the bathroom. She told me I could do what I wanted with one of the other rooms so Im making a gaming room. The whole thing is gonna center around the xbox. I will have one modded xbox, a big tv around 30 inches, and a couch with an entertainment center that can easily hold an xbox, tv, vcr, dvd player, and speaker system. With the xbox as my main attraction the xbox 2 will also be in there. IF I have the same experience with the xenon as I do the xbox then it will be a very sucessfull system. All of my friends now own an xbox and like me they all sold there ps2's to get their xbox. they are all hapy btw. There is always a halo lan going down somewehre around me. Xbox is a way of life where I live, so the xenon better be good. Size doesnt matter, its the power that it can produce. I will only be buying one sony product next year, thats the psp. The xenon will own the console market.

Sorry for the long post but thats how I feel.

#43 PolarBearWY

PolarBearWY

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (Foe-hammer @ Jun 23 2004, 10:04 PM)
No it doesn't, laptops do not exist. laugh.gif

Yup. I cannot find a laptop these days. I go to shop for them and can only find notebooks.

#44 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:22 PM

Just for the record:

PS2: 30.2 cm wide x 17.8 cm deep x 7.6 cm tall
Cube: 15.2 x 20.5 (w/ handle) x 10.9
XBox: 32.1 x 26.0 x 8.9

The XBox isn't much bigger than the other systems. It's deeper than the PS2, but width and height are pretty close. The Cube is definitely smaller than the other two, but it has one drawback: a top loading disk tray. For the lid to open completely adds 9.4 cm to it's height, which can be an issue if you are trying to put it into an entertainment center. These are just some quick measurements I did and I didn't bother with weights since none of them weigh more than any normal person should be able to move around with ease.

#45 PolarBearWY

PolarBearWY

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (fahrenheit @ Jun 25 2004, 01:24 AM)
...the un-modded Xbox, purely as a piece of home theater equipment is flawed.

Ahhh, there's where you have gone wrong. It isn't intended for a home theater. It is intended for the average Joe, who doesn't even have a home theater. It is a gaming console, not a piece of home theater equipment. Maybe you meant to say "piece of home entertainment equipment." That would be more accurate. But very little in the way of "home entertainment" is quieter than the XBox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users