Mr. Chips

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 23 June 2004 - 02:57 AM

I can't believe this.
They actually think most people don't care. I think they have ignored that fact we live in a feature-loving society.
Think about it. Would you buy a couch JUST for the fold-out bed? Of course not. But it's nice to have the option there.
Now they want to say a Hard Drive is unneccesary. Oh really. And the want to step up the anti-piracy methods and make it hack proof (see quote). Then why should we buy a repackaged, un-personalizable, non-homebrew, overpriced PC?
I dont't get it.

QUOTE (XS Main page)
The Xenon CPU was designed by IBM in close consultation with the Xbox team, leading to a number of revolutionary additions, including a dot product instruction for extremely fast vector math and custom security features built directly into the silicon to prevent piracy and hacking.

TELL ME YOUR THOUGHT PPL!

#2 AnThRaX

AnThRaX

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:00 AM

They are trying to make money. At least they aren't as worse as Sony sueing a new modchip company everyday. Honestly, I would prefer the Xenon to have a modchip capablaities. But, it isn't required. I buy alot of games anyways as it is, even know I have a mod.

#3 Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:07 AM

but there IS better ways to make money. They could try embracing us loyal Xbox-Scene followers.
instead, they would drive us away back to a new AMD 3200+ PC and start reading PC Gamer instead.
And we had something good going sad.gif

#4 Crypty

Crypty

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:23 AM

I can understand MS's reasoning for not having backwards compatability to xbox 1 being that statistics show only 10% of people use ps2 for ps1 games.

But thats not all there is to it.... I , like many other people find it hard to enjoy a nes or snes game due to the horrible graphics compared to today's systems. This is much the case in the jump from ps1 to ps2. There was an enormous difference in graphics capabilities and therefore only 10% of the people wanted to play the old games with bad graphics.

With xbox though I hardly see much room for improvement. The graphics on xbox1 are nothing short of astounding so how much better can they get? Not possibly to a point where xbox1 graphics will be considered crappy, and therefore there will still be PLENTY of xbox1 players looking to play the old games on xbox2

I think no backwards compatability is a real big mistake.

agree? disagree?

#5 spicymeatball911

spicymeatball911

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:41 AM

Hehe, since the start of the summer, I've played Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana on my Xbox using the SNES emulators, and I've played Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 (all PS1 games) on my PS2. It's not that I don't have a SNES or a PS1 since I do, but to me its strictly an issue of convenience.

But like you were saying, Xbox 1 games aren't gonna be as much of a graphics jump to Xbox 2 as like SNES to N64 was. But along with that, its MUCH harder to design and build and Xbox2 with an Xbox1 inside of it. I mean, have you played like Goldeneye 64 on your Xbox? It runs like crap, all slow, but ofcourse you would think, Xbox is 5x faster than N64 but it does not work that way, they are completley different designs, as the Xbox1 will be to the Xbox2 probably. Ofcourse PS2 pulled it off nicely, but if it comes down to an issue of price, I don't know if I really want backwards compatibility, because i probably won't put away my Xbox 1 anyways (Xbox 2 does have a HD, thats half the fun hehehe).

#6 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 June 2004 - 04:27 AM

Yet again, the graphics vs. gameplay is an issue here. You talk about games being crap because the graphics aren't as good (ie PS1, N64, SNES, NES) then why do so many people still have old systems or go to great lengths to get emulators for them. I don't see the backwards compatibility issue for the XBOX1/XBOX2 being any different. 12 years ago the SNES graphics were top of the line, but they were replaced a few years later by bigger and better machines. I think it is short sighted to think that XBOX1 will always have outstanding graphics. XBOX2 and PS3 will undoubtedly blow away XBOX1 for graphics. What makes the system worth keeping then? The great games. wink.gif Anyways I think the whole backwards compatibility issue all depends on the cost. If they can do it in a cost effective manner (ie PS2) then I think they should definitely go for it. I have a modded PS2 and I really like the fact that by having it chipped, that I have two modded systems in one box. wink.gif

#7 el_diablo

el_diablo

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 23 June 2004 - 06:13 AM

i love my nes! dont knock it! i play it more than i play my xbox tongue.gif

i agree its not graphics that count, its gameplay.
final fantasy 7 graphics are pretty bad compared to a xbox/ps2/gamecube game but it is one of the best rpgs i have and ever will play.

live on square tongue.gif

#8 telexen

telexen

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 10:21 AM

You are all aware of the MS statement about how upset they were that poor journalism made that claim when MS themselves have claimed nothing about backwards compatability...right?

nVidia has said in the past that it would likely be impossible for MS and it's developers to set up backwards compatability ... so I'm not expecting it. Oh well...I've still got muh' Xbox biggrin.gif

#9 havocaose

havocaose

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 23 June 2004 - 11:51 AM

i dunno what the big deal is about backwards compatibilty... you're probably never gonna want to play the old xbox games.

i played golden eye and it was the shit but i hooked up a n64 so i could play it again recently... AND IT SUCKED.. playing games that you remember as being great years ago will ruin your memory of them.

#10 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Loop Theory
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 June 2004 - 01:00 PM

Well apparently they realized that most people don't care about backwards compatibility. I always thought I did care but once I get a new system I really don't want to play the older generation games on it that will look worse than the new games. The amount of money and time they would spend to ensure backwardds compatibility prob would never pay off in terms of that one feature getting them X many more sales.

#11 rab154

rab154

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (mrRobinson @ Jun 23 2004, 03:00 PM)
I always thought I did care but once I get a new system I really don't want to play the older generation games on it that will look worse than the new games.

yeh i agree there, when i play my n64 i always think how bad the graphics look now, but how amazing they were back then. But surely every1 from the scene has an xbox, so technically backwards compatibility isnt needed, i understand how useful it would be, but its not a big deal, well in my opinion tongue.gif

#12 Crypty

Crypty

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (havocaose @ Jun 23 2004, 01:51 PM)

i played golden eye and it was the shit but i hooked up a n64 so i could play it again recently... AND IT SUCKED.. playing games that you remember as being great years ago will ruin your memory of them.

Tru dat. I used to love crash bandicoot for ps1 and finally got off my ass and hooked up the system. Damn, that game is dick.

#13 Infamous_One

Infamous_One

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 01:46 PM

I dont care if it doesnt have an HD or it doesnt play XBox Games , as long that they make it more powerfull than a PS3. laugh.gif

Edited by Infamous_One, 23 June 2004 - 01:46 PM.

#14 CHRONOSTORM

CHRONOSTORM

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 23 June 2004 - 01:54 PM

pray you can mod it and a coder with god like skills makes an emulator. if there are xbox emus for the pc that run a few things then maybe will get one for the xenon. or is the archeticture (fuck spelling) to different for an emulator to work

Edited by CHRONOSTORM, 23 June 2004 - 01:58 PM.

#15 mattb

mattb

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Anything the ATF considers illegal. Wait, I'm just joking and I don't smoke! Wink, Wink!

Posted 23 June 2004 - 02:49 PM

Old games offer nostalgia for me! I love remembering the times when Sonic the blue kickass hedgehog was the shit back when I was in kintergarten.
im also gay !! jester.gif rainbows!~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users