57 replies to this topic

#16 mterlouw

mterlouw

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:26 PM

I can get over the backwards compatibility for games, but I *really* hope the controllers are backwards compatible. I've bought 4 S controllers, that's like $120 invested, and don't really feel like buying more.

Maybe they can have the black/white buttons map to the new shoulder buttons. I guess it all depends on how much MS wants to screw us over and make us spend more money.

Edited by mterlouw, 23 June 2004 - 03:28 PM.

#17 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (havocaose @ Jun 23 2004, 08:51 AM)
i played golden eye and it was the shit but i hooked up a n64 so i could play it again recently... AND IT SUCKED.. playing games that you remember as being great years ago will ruin your memory of them.

Not always necessarily true.

I just played the original NES Legend of Zelda last week. Still kicked my ass! rolleyes.gif

#18 cesium

cesium

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:29 PM

MS loses a lot of money due to piracy. i dont think their claim for this new processor isnt bad. they have learned their lesson from xbox and they wont make the same mistake with next generation consoles. it seems like some people think that pyriting games is a fair, legal, right, but its not.
just my 2 cents
-cesium

#19 deathx88

deathx88

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts
  • Interests:xbox stuff, guitar stuff, pc stuff, and hacking stuff
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 23 June 2004 - 07:00 PM

how can some people say that they don't care about backwards compatability wink.gif

its not like there going to remake every game on the xbox to the xbox 2

what if you had the urge to play on the old xbox, and for some reason it broke or you sold it because you thought you wouldn't need it

thats why i liked the ps2 when it came out because of the fact that you can play your old ps2 games on a system that could run it faster

and besides like stated before, the graphics couldn't be that much better since the xbox has the best graphics already as a console system. so its not like you would be playing an atari and it would be foreign to you

#20 phrozenfeonix

phrozenfeonix

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 June 2004 - 08:12 PM

let us not forget, HALO 2 will be out in 134 days, it'd be a horribel idea for them not to make it backwards compatible if one of the best games ever is supposed to come out only a year(?) before the xenon(?) it would be a foolish move for MS not to include backwards compatibility, i mean, i still know hundreds of people that play halo here, and that's been since the release of xbox, halo 2 wouldn't live too long if you couldn't play it on an xbox2, it's a bad idea not to include backwards compatibility

#21 xFusioNx

xFusioNx

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:01 PM

Yeah right dude, you know how many people are thinking ahead to the Xbox2?

Not too many. And even the ones who are don't give a fuck about buying Halo2 now and the Xbox2 coming out a year or so afterward.

They'll still be out there buying it in November or whenever it's supposed to come out now.

#22 Efompor

Efompor

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:30 PM

MS probably plans to do a "psone" kind of think with the xbox and the xenon, making a really cheap, small xbox come out at the same time as the xenon, Then all the poor kids who couldn't afford the original xbox or the new xenon would buy the mini xbox and buy xbox 1 games, wheras xenon owners, even if they DID have backwards compatability, would never spend a cent on xbox 1 games anyway. So in other words, MS just wants more $$$

#23 eulachon

eulachon

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:52 PM

I think a main reason behind breaking backwards compatability (besides moving to a PPC architecture making it a bitch) is that if it remains compatable with old games, you could still stick in an old copy of 007AUF/Mechwarrior and use the exploit to do whatever you want.

Plus, the old games use the HD, which they want to eliminate... etc etc...

of course the Xbox2 will be cracked, but it will probably never be as useful (for non-piracy purposes) as the Xbox, which is why I'll be keeping my Xbox to use as a media player/emulator system/mass storage until it dies a sad death.

#24 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,743 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:21 AM

i doubt the xploit would work even if they did include backward compability (which BTW has next to nothing to do with exploits or HDs, ill get into that later)

the exploit patches the signiture key in the xbox memory, xbox2 will undoubtedly have a different signiture structure, as well a memory structure (IE: the memory address patched by the exploit will not be the address that contains the signiture values in xbox2)

plus, as xbox kernels block dashbaord exploits from laoding, im sure xbox2s kernel will block all xbox1 exploits from laoding

as for the lack of compat. all xbox games use a proprietary nvidia video encoding, MS woul dhave to pay some hefty licensing fees to use them again on xbox2, plus the fact that nvidia is none too happy with MS giving the GPU contract for xbox2 to ATI

#25 futbol4kee

futbol4kee

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:40 AM

for me backword compatibilty is a must

#26 Mr. Tom

Mr. Tom

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:48 AM

My 2 cents:

I think it would be good to have backwards compatability, just so i can play halo and halo 2 without pulling out the old system. Think of it like this: how many GREAT first person shooters have come out for the PC lately? More than a few. How many people still play counterstrike? A crapload and a half. Great games outlive the systems they were made for, and thats what backwards compatability is for. Sure ive ruined my memory of a few games (goldeneye, final fantasy 7, actually pretty much any N64 game) but other games like tetris (NES), Super Mario Brothers 3 (nes, not that lame ass remake for the GBA) and i cant think of anything else right now, but the point is i play some games with crappy graphics, but the gameplay is where its at.

Im going to buy an xbox 2, but if there is no backwards compatability, or if its unhackable, im only going to buy it when the next version of halo or PGR comes out.

The hackability of the xbox is great. But how many systems were made before that you could store games on the hard drive? yeah, thats what i thought. So why should you expect the next one to do the same?

#27 phrozenfeonix

phrozenfeonix

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 04:08 AM

Mr. Tom - 2 systems can store games on the hdd, excluding the PC. The xbox obviously, but apparently there is a hacked up hdbootloader for the ps2 now also.

Efompor - I can garuntee you that MS will NOT make an "xboxone" rip, they wouldn't waste their moeny on that when the xbox has already dropped from 500cdn on release to the 150cdn it's at now, plus, the latest revision is pretty much likely to be the last, they've cut the prices so far back it's unreal

xFusionx - do you actually think someone that doens't have a modded box is gonna go out and buy a copy of halo 2, get deep into it on xbox live and everything, just to have all the hype die out with an xbox 2, all im saying is that the 2 products would have to fight for a spotlight psition from MS, the lifespan of halo has been amazingly extensive, plus it's got all the new people constantly surfacing and playing the game, halo 2 will be even more so, like shrek for instance, now the 9th best selling box office hit ever, because the first attracted so much attention, halo 2 will do the same thing, and i'd expect it to last much more than a year. MS wouldn't have their heads on straight to have someone own both an xbox and a xenon(?) just to play halo 2 and whatever other games

#28 tailspower2001

tailspower2001

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:08 PM

I would be graet if X-BOX 2 will backwards compatible with X-BOX Games: like how Windows 95-XP, GBC/GBA, and PS2 has been, however I belive that this in one of the risones for the Widnows Virud issue next to the number of users alowing the holes to be found soner and thierfor geting the pacthes out faster. Making the OS more Suiacer then most popole think.

#29 Vadcol

Vadcol

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:13 PM

[COLOR=blue] muhaha.gif

While Halo 2 is still in development, I think MS & Bungie should make Halo 2 playable on X2 (Xbox 2). How would they do it? Adjusting the engine code to be playable on X2. I could care less if the rest of Xbox games are not playable on X2. Not many people are going to buy X2 if they can't play Halo 2 in Christmas 2005 on a new console. Something to think about MS.

#30 Infamous_One

Infamous_One

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE (Vadcol @ Jun 25 2004, 12:13 AM)
muhaha.gif

While Halo 2 is still in development, I think MS & Bungie should make Halo 2 playable on X2 (Xbox 2). How would they do it? Adjusting the engine code to be playable on X2. I could care less if the rest of Xbox games are not playable on X2. Not many people are going to buy X2 if they can't play Halo 2 in Christmas 2005 on a new console. Something to think about MS.

hmm that could be a reason for the game taking so long to be developed. we will see when the game is out and see two exe files, a default.xbe and a Xenon exe file. (dont know if is xbe ,exe or something else.) wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users