25 replies to this topic

#1 soma806

soma806

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 05:45 PM

Unless I'm missing something, this thing is even more beefy than teh top of the line Mac towers. It's the same IBM PPC G5 processor technology right? Except teh Xenon will have 3 integrated processors on one die compared to the 2 on their own die in the latest Mac (today is 6/25/04). Pehaps having thier own die makes them faster? So my question is would it be possible to hack the Xenon and hack the Unix based Mac OS to run Mac OS, since Mac OS is compiled for this CPU instruction set?

BTW if Xenon won't have a HD does that mean the operating system will load off of some solidstate technology? Where will the OS be in this new system? If they make it a non volitile RAM or soemthing of this nature, then there may be hardware replacing and making flashes involved. Getting a modified version of Mac OS (first off this is a MAJOR task in it's self as the code is not totally available!) onto chips might be harder than your average enthusiest can be troubled with.

Edited by soma806, 25 June 2004 - 06:05 PM.

#2 xFusioNx

xFusioNx

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:03 PM

Dude, the chips aren't APPLE chips. They are IBM PowerPC.

This seems to be a hugely common misconception. They are not owned by Apple. They are owned and fabbed by IBM.

The ones going in the Xenon have nothing in common with the G5 chips than the name and fabricator.

#3 soma806

soma806

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:14 PM

The apple PPC G5 IS made by IBM you dufus!

#4 Tzar007

Tzar007

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (xFusioNx @ Jun 25 2004, 08:03 PM)

This seems to be a hugely common misconception. They are not owned by Apple. They are owned and fabbed by IBM.

The ones going in the Xenon have nothing in common with the G5 chips than the name and fabricator.

Actually, these chips and the Apple chips do share some basic functionality.

The experimental Xenon development kits that have been recently shipped by MS to selected video games publisher and developers around the world are.... Apple's G5 rolleyes.gif

Isn't it ironic that MS is shipping Apple Computer systems to its partners? biggrin.gif

Edited by Tzar007, 25 June 2004 - 06:14 PM.

#5 xFusioNx

xFusioNx

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (soma806 @ Jun 25 2004, 02:14 PM)
The apple PPC G5 IS made by IBM you dufus!

Hey dipshit, learn to read, I clearly said they are fabbed by IBM, as in fabricated, i.e. manufactured.

wink.gif

#6 browndanielusn

browndanielusn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Coding, Database Design, anything computer related.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (Tzar007 @ Jun 25 2004, 08:14 PM)
Isn't it ironic that MS is shipping Apple Computer systems to its partners? biggrin.gif

not necessarily, m$ does own a nice portion of apple...do your research...although it is ironic wink.gif

#7 desertboy

desertboy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (xFusioNx @ Jun 25 2004, 08:03 PM)

Well if they are proper powerpc chips they're going to have a lot of common instructions and registers, probably an enhanced altivec (Similar to SSE) and a whole host of similar components. Very possible you'd be able to get OSX to boot through linux on the xbox2 (If of course they manage to get linux to boot on the xbox2).

Check
www.maconlinux.org

I wrote a more indepth post here
http://forums.macrum...?t=69440&page=5
These are my views of course and not backed up by anything other than heresay.

Apple, Ibm & Motorola own the rights to powerpc chips between them. Motorola was Apple's supplier of powerpc originally and IBM made Unix workstations with their chips. It was only recently than Apple switched to IBM for their supply. The chips made by motorola and IBM are binary compatible processors (Except maybe a few new instructions) and both are capable of running OSX. Powerpc is more than just branding it's a line of processors like X86.

If it's branded powerpc it's going to be binary compatible.

Edited by desertboy, 25 June 2004 - 06:28 PM.

#8 soma806

soma806

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (xFusioNx @ Jun 25 2004, 08:18 PM)
Hey dipshit, learn to read, I clearly said they are fabbed by IBM, as in fabricated, i.e. manufactured.

wink.gif

So you think IBM is goign to make 2 TOTALLY differnt chips both called power PC G5's?? Keep smoking.

#9 xFusioNx

xFusioNx

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (Tzar007 @ Jun 25 2004, 02:14 PM)
Actually, these chips and the Apple chips do share some basic functionality.

The experimental Xenon development kits that have been recently shipped by MS to selected video games publisher and developers around the world are.... Apple's G5 rolleyes.gif

True, but that's because it's really the only working hardware based on the POWERPC technology comparable enough to the Xenon specs. The ones going into the Xenon will have nothing in common with teh G5 other than name and fabricator.

Basic functionality is a given simply because they are manufactured on the same process.

But the Xenon is supposedly going to be a trie cored 3.5GHz processor, the G5 processors are currently no where near as advanced as that.

#10 xFusioNx

xFusioNx

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (soma806 @ Jun 25 2004, 02:20 PM)
So you think IBM is goign to make 2 TOTALLY differnt chips both called power PC G5's?? Keep smoking.

I dunno that's a question of wether MS wants a processor stolen out of the G5 available at the time of Xenon's launch powering their latest and greatest console. I don't think that'd be too great of a press release.

"Apple and IBM power MSs most powerful gaming machine on the planet."

They'll alter it and make sure it's not the same as the one available in the Apple.

BTW why the hell did you edit your first post? It's completely different. lol

Edited by xFusioNx, 25 June 2004 - 06:31 PM.

#11 browndanielusn

browndanielusn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (xFusioNx @ Jun 25 2004, 08:21 PM)
But the Xenon is supposedly going to be a trie cored 3.5GHz processor, the G5 processors are currently no where near as advanced as that.

Just to start off, I hate macs...what you have said is a bold statement...could you share some of your xenon "inside info" with all of us... wink.gif I know a lot of this argument is taken from tidbits of truth, but I think for the sake of the argument nothing is set in stone, and if it's what you "think" is possible; say it.

#12 soma806

soma806

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:29 PM

xFusioNx you have a point that the chips mentioned in the Xenon are much more advanced than the Mac ones (currently) but I bet they'll share the same instruction set. They are not starting over here.

Reading that spec for the 1st time less that an hour ago I have so many industry questions, like why don't the MS invested Apple use this technology? Why Doesn't MS start making PC's based on this since they will have to re-write Window's NT core for it. Why Does MS afiliate themselves so strongly with Intel and AMD when they have technology paid for that could support a more efficent use of their OS. (Speculation)

#13 soma806

soma806

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (browndanielusn @ Jun 25 2004, 08:29 PM)
Just to start off, I hate macs...what you have said is a bold statement...could you share some of your xenon "inside info" with all of us... wink.gif I know a lot of this argument is taken from tidbits of truth, but I think for the sake of the argument nothing is set in stone, and if it's what you "think" is possible; say it.

the tri-cored processor is mentioned in teh rumored spec.

#14 browndanielusn

browndanielusn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:32 PM

I would guess that with money invested in different companies...they could corner the market, but that still doesn't answer why they wouldn't use the technology in their own OS...

#15 xFusioNx

xFusioNx

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (browndanielusn @ Jun 25 2004, 02:29 PM)

What the hell are you talking about? It came from the same shit you read that HSDemonz posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users