Tomilius

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 26 June 2004 - 02:02 AM

Frosted BIOS Loader

CURRENT STATUS: Ldots and I are the main ones working on this project. He's working on a thin version, I'm working on a fat one, and they will eventually both be included in the same package.

Anyone else who can contribute is welcomed with open arms!

THIN FEATURES (AFAIK):
Much faster than any other PBL release.
Transparent loading.
Extremely small size.
Barebones - does enough to load the BIOS. For those who don't mess around with anything but the main point (which is loading the BIOS.)
No screen corruption (transparent.)
Complete USB compatibility (USB is not used.)

FAT FEATURES (as of BETA 6):
Much faster than any other PBL release.
Size reduced to less than half of the original PBL 1.4.1.
Highly customizable. May choose between several output and loading options, such as keeping the "MS logo," fading, hiding text, or killing output altogether (Conexant).
No screen corruption.
Complete USB compatibility (USB must be explicitly started in order to be used, but there are currently no functions which use it.)

ORIGINAL POST:

This is probably in the wrong forum, but most of us around here use or are familiar with Phoenix Bios Loader. It is problematic for several of us - it had been fine for me until recently when I got a new controller. It seems that with two controllers and the DVD dongle plugged in (I'm just assuming 3 USB devices trigger the problem) PBL stalls on "Starting USB" - this is with PBL 1.4, because I was unable to get version 1.4.1 to work at all. These problems can't have to do with the bios itself, of course; they're problems of PBL itself, and I think they're preventable, because nkpatcher or complex !loader don't have a lot of the problems PBL has. Anyway, I think PBL should be redone - where have the creators been all this time? If the source for the latest version is out, the problems should definitely be fixed. If it's as simple as I imagine, it shouldn't be much more than a snip here and a delete there... After all, why does PBL even need to "start USB?" Is it part of the multiple bios feature, so that it can detect the buttons you press for selection? I don't really get why it needs to do that... but if it didn't have to, it would be good. biggrin.gif.

Yes! This IS a plea post! I plea to anyone to release as much information as they know about PBL, how it works, etc in this topic to assist in fixing it!

Yeah... I'm a newbie in this area. So what? The fact remains that PBL really does need some fixing.

Edited by Tomilius, 07 August 2004 - 07:33 AM.

#2 Chicken Scratch Boy

Chicken Scratch Boy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 26 June 2004 - 02:28 AM

I think PBL should be redone

go for it

as you said "it cant be that hard" laugh.gif

good luck

#3 Tomilius

Tomilius

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 03:08 AM

Any later sources out than 1.3?

#4 Tomilius

Tomilius

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 03:11 AM

CODE

printk("\n\n\n");
printk("Phoenix Bios Loader v1.3.5 INTERNAL!\n");
printk("Official Forums: http://forums.maxconsole.com\n\n");

printk("Starting USB\n");
BootStartUSB();

I wonder what would happen if BootStartUSB was removed (and the line above it of course)... wink.gif It's sad, but I don't think I even have the tools to compile a modified source! I could find them, but it would take me a while... I'm slow. So what I'm getting at is that if someone has the latest source for PBL... could they try removing that BootStartUSB? Oh, and the clause about pressing A to enter the selection menu, because like I thought, that's the only time USB is used (I'm pretty sure.)

CODE

printk("Press A now to enter selection menu!\n");
for(i=0;i<entry->timeout;i++)
{
  USBGetEvents();
  if(risefall_xpad_BUTTON(TRIGGER_XPAD_KEY_A) == 1)
  {
     Dash();
     break;
  }
}

It seems just crazy enough to work! It wouldn't *fix* PBL, but it might fix at least my problem, laugh.gif

Since when has anyone actually used the selection menu? Hehe... I've wanted to but haven't even been able to figure out how, lol, and it doesn't seem all that useful.

Edited by Tomilius, 26 June 2004 - 03:25 AM.

#5 RiceCake

RiceCake

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:Wait, what the hell?<br />Your interested in what I do?<br />None of your damn buisness!
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 June 2004 - 03:18 AM

Should just remove all that shit, just load the damn BIOS.

Or use nkpatcher, which is much faster anyways smile.gif...

#6 Chicken Scratch Boy

Chicken Scratch Boy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 03:19 AM

yeah go for it, but thats the lazy way

#7 Tomilius

Tomilius

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE (RiceCake @ Jun 26 2004, 05:18 AM)
Should just remove all that shit, just load the damn BIOS.

Or use nkpatcher, which is much faster anyways smile.gif...

lol, you probably haven't read my post at the end of nkpatcher... It has issues with me. ROE doesn't work, and there's, of course, no IGR (not that there's supposed to be). Hehe...

I would remove it, but wouldn't it make more sense to find the latest version's source and just remove stuff from that? Like I said, I don't even have some of the header files PBL 1.3.5 needs. (e.g. BootUSB.h)

#8 Chicken Scratch Boy

Chicken Scratch Boy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 03:24 AM

it's not in 1.4.1 either, maybe it is not needed?

#9 Tomilius

Tomilius

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 03:26 AM

So you have the 1.4.1 source? ... Where? lol...

Um, well, it's one of the includes :-|

*is installing cygwin right now*

EDIT: I wish I knew more about what I was doing. Anyway, it's not "make"ing. Needs imagebld... and some other stuff I'm sure.

EDIT: Apparently PBL was compiled with xbox-linux's xbeboot? Trying to get the files for that now. Anyone can feel free to reveal the location of PBL 1.4.1's source... or just 1.4's source...

Edited by Tomilius, 26 June 2004 - 03:51 AM.

#10 Chicken Scratch Boy

Chicken Scratch Boy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 03:52 AM

xbins

/xbox/bioses/tools/pbl/sources

tha from the top of my head so it isnt 100% accurate

#11 Tomilius

Tomilius

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 03:58 AM

Wow... I really did not see that there before. But I'm getting that source. (Thanks) Hopefully it will be better... and it turns out BootUSB.h was required, but nowhere to be found. I couldn't even find it on google, just BootUSB.c ...

EDIT: Lo and behold! Maybe if I just rename BootUSB.c to BootUSB.h... lol... and then find Hermes.h ...

God! And PBL was trying to boast that they are so great for releasing their source and that it allows for rapid development! Well... where are the headers, I ask them?

Edited by Tomilius, 26 June 2004 - 04:00 AM.

#12 Chicken Scratch Boy

Chicken Scratch Boy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:04 AM

see if you can drop someone from the disbanded team on maxconsole a line, so they can hook you up

or alternativly (if you know, or can get a good translation to french) grab a hold of yoshihirro's source (he's obligated due to the GPL)

#13 Tomilius

Tomilius

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:08 AM

"Source-Pbl-1.4.1-By-Yoshihiro"

Still several needed files missing that can't seem to be found anywhere exactly... Mainly looking for Hermes.h

#14 Chicken Scratch Boy

Chicken Scratch Boy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:10 AM

as i said, ask yoshihiiro for them

#15 Tomilius

Tomilius

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:20 AM

Wasn't that difficult to find them really... in the end I decided to just remove the references to Hermes and USB completely... comment them out anyway... but now it's complaining about simple things like string.h! I think I'm going to need someone with Linux to compile it for me. ... not that that will happen. But anyone with it can feel free to respond biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users