• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Arkay Firestar

Arkay Firestar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:21 AM

I went all over the place today trying to find an old, new xbox. Every store had only 1.6 xboxes. Frustrated I was even willing to settle for the green special edition, which I was sure was 1.5 or older based on what I had read.

Even those were sold out, apparently being even more popular than the normal one (who knew). So I talked to some friends who worked in circuit city, and who were kind enough to go in back and look through their entire inventory for an older unit. Their advice was for me to try a refurbished unit.

So I went to gamestop, the closest gaming shop, and they had one refurbished unit left, on which the mfg. date was 9/2003. Figuring this was definitely old enough, I bought the system, though it sits on my room floor unopened since I can get a refund.

Now, I will get an XBIT mod chip, and I got a great deal (80 dollars at compusa through july 3) on a 160gb Maxtor with an 8mb cache, and my brother's roommate has already modded a few systems and is totally pro, so none of that stuff worries me.

I just don't know if MS goes and changes the motherboards when they refurbish a system. Does anyone have ANY experience or input on this? Can I trust the date on the back of the system or could they have swapped boards or something and then I would be getting a 1.6. I will order the chip tomorrow morning pending some good advice on the pros in these forums, and would thus appreciate as quick a response as is possible.

I'm really looking forward to emulating some games on this puppy, and can't wait to get the whole modding process started, but I can't do so until I find out whether this is a 1.5 or older system or if its 1.6. Once again, does any one have ANY stories or experiences with REFURBISHED xboxes? Thanks!!!

#2 JBNinja99

JBNinja99

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:39 AM

that's a good question. i modded 2 refurbished boxes...and they still had their retail motherboards (apparently). i had a v1.0 refurbished and it was clearly a 1.0 motherboard. and i did a v1.3 and it seemingly appeared to be the 1.3 mb.

#3 atriedes38

atriedes38

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:39 AM

The Xbox sitting atop my entertainment center is a refurb, modded with an Xecuter 2.3 lite +.

Refurb is actually the way to go for modders these days. It's your best shot at getting a tested, working Xbox that can be modded.

Relax. You did the right thing.

#4 Arkay Firestar

Arkay Firestar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:46 AM

Ok thanks! Do you have any idea what version xbox one made in 9/2003 might be? Based on your own experience maybe? The chart you guys have doesn't quite go that far, and I'm also curious if anyone knows what cd drive it possibly has.

Thanks! I guess I should go order the modchip now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users