Colonel32

Sheik Yerbouti

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 June 2004 - 05:56 AM

The powers in Iraq just got handed over - not sovereignty, but still closer to it.

Very, very smart doing this a few days earlier in my opinion...

I read a few articles predicting a major wave of attacks and assassination of people like Allawi the days leading up to the handover in Iraq. ....can't help now but wonder if there wasn't a lot Jihadists freshly shaven and feeling like they missed the bus that was supposed to leave in a few days wink.gif

Link

#2 rms2001

rms2001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Interests:Free DirecTV, playing with my XBox, and playing Half-Life and its mods.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:01 AM

The US are fools to hand over Iraq. They need to match in there, stick the US flag is the sand and say "Its ours now fuckers, don't like it, get the hell out."

But that will never happen. The US is the "Good Guys." Bomb the shit out of them, than dump billions of dollars to rebuild that sand pit. And for what? Not a fucking thing. 1,000 kids got killed over there and for NOTHING.

#3 gcskate27

gcskate27

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts
  • Interests:video games, prgramming, comps, skateboarding, cooking, taking care of my lizards and dachshund

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE (rms2001 @ Jun 28 2004, 03:01 AM)
Bomb the shit out of them, than dump billions of dollars to rebuild that sand pit. And for what? Not a fucking thing. 1,000 kids got killed over there and for NOTHING.

hmm some would wonder what we were doing over there in the first place... hmm... wink.gif

#4 Colonel32

Colonel32

Sheik Yerbouti

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:10 AM

There was also a lot more than 1000 kids killed....Average of all the estimates I have seen is somewhere around 15K - no one knows

Ten years from now if Iraqi's are able to create a democracy that's a good thing though.. right?

Worth it? .... won't be answered for a generation.

#5 rms2001

rms2001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Interests:Free DirecTV, playing with my XBox, and playing Half-Life and its mods.

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:23 AM

It mite be more than 1,000. I was thinking off a CNN report I saw the other day about how many US military personnel have been killed. Not to sure about the Brits or every one else over there.

Still think this is a very very bad move on the US' part. Lets just hand over Iraq to a bunch of terrorists. Great... Ten years from now we will be back over there fighting for another worthless cause. Just need to keep it and take care of it now.

#6 Colonel32

Colonel32

Sheik Yerbouti

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:26 AM

Honestly RMS, I see your point. But if the US were to just "keep" a middle eastern country it would be a catalyst to the next world war.

China is growing and becoming a major challenger for global power. Imagine the war if these "colonies" in the Middle East were seen as lauch pads by China.

China + North Korea + Russia = a war that probably can't be won by anyone

#7 67thRaptorBull

67thRaptorBull

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 29 June 2004 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE (Colonel32 @ Jun 28 2004, 03:26 AM)
Honestly RMS, I see your point. But if the US were to just "keep" a middle eastern country it would be a catalyst to the next world war.

China is growing and becoming a major challenger for global power. Imagine the war if these "colonies" in the Middle East were seen as lauch pads by China.

China + North Korea + Russia = a war that probably can't be won by anyone

if china or russia were in a war by themselves, no one would win, it wouldnt take china and russia to ensure that

all theyd have to do is launch 10 nukes, and whoever there attacking launches back, then they relaunch and soon it turns into MAD

anyways unsure.gif

#8 Colonel32

Colonel32

Sheik Yerbouti

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE (67thRaptorBull @ Jun 29 2004, 03:15 AM)
if china or russia were in a war by themselves, no one would win, it wouldnt take china and russia to ensure that

all theyd have to do is launch 10 nukes, and whoever there attacking launches back, then they relaunch and soon it turns into MAD

anyways unsure.gif

No I meant on the same team wink.gif

China and Russia against _________________

#9 cainedna

cainedna

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 29 June 2004 - 02:06 AM

Wars anymore have more to do with commercial interest anyway. The US and China wouldn't go to full-on war, they're too codependent.
Not unless one of us thought we could actually take the other over.

#10 Colonel32

Colonel32

Sheik Yerbouti

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 02:10 AM

Not unless one of us thought we could actually take the other over.

Or one deemed the other a security threat and decided pre-emption was in the best interest of national security.

Thats very plausible wink.gif

#11 The unProfessional

The unProfessional

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:See website....

Posted 29 June 2004 - 05:26 AM

Well put colonel. Sent a chill down my spine smile.gif

I don't believe the handing over was a mistake. It's mostly a symbol, or a political gesture rather. There are 100 times more individuals, organizations, countries, etc who would condemn NOT handing it over than otherwise. We're still committing security forces, and you can rest assured, complete control hasn't been relinquished. I feel it's a step in the right direction.

#12 Banj

Banj

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 05:27 AM

The US are fools to hand over Iraq. They need to match in there, stick the US flag is the sand and say "Its ours now fuckers, don't like it, get the hell out."

But that will never happen. The US is the "Good Guys." Bomb the shit out of them, than dump billions of dollars to rebuild that sand pit. And for what? Not a fucking thing. 1,000 kids got killed over there and for NOTHING.

.....is that a joke? Are you being sarcastic?

You seem to be confused as to the reality of this very serious situation.

#13 67thRaptorBull

67thRaptorBull

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (Colonel32 @ Jun 28 2004, 10:05 PM)
No I meant on the same team wink.gif

China and Russia against _________________

opps, no i meant that if either of them were fighting there own war, not against each other, or with each other, but seperate

#14 HiRoll3r

HiRoll3r

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Drugs mostly

Posted 30 June 2004 - 03:31 AM

I don't think handing over "sovereignty" two days early was smart nor sneaky. Do you honestly think the insurgents (rebels, terrorists, jihadists, whatever you want to call them) will now suddenly hang up their hats and go home? Like June 30th was to jihadists as midnight was to Cinderella? The initial June 30th date was pulled out of thin air to begin with, with absolutely no thought given to the situation Iraq would be in on said date. We could have turned over "power" last month or 3 weeks from now and not a thing would have been different. Ttiming was political, nothing more.

Edited by HiRoll3r, 30 June 2004 - 03:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users