13 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Blonde

Mr. Blonde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:07 PM

There are some games that will blow you away with a combination of graphics, sounds and gameplay (Prince of Persia, Ninja Giaden) and their are some games that are just fun to play. No matter how many times you go through a level you can always do things different, games that give us 5 ways to solve a problem. You know what I am talking about! Games like Dues Ex, Freedom FIghters, etc. Well now you can add another game to that list Psi-Ops.

Gameplay/COntrols

This is where te game really shines. In Psi-Ops you play a trained elite soldier called Nick who is batteling his way through various situations to seek revenge and help a fellow soldier out as she searched for her sister ( Hmmm didn't I see that "Searching for your sister thing in Ninja Gaiden? laugh.gif ) Anyway lets get to the point.

The Gameplay of this game is phenomenal. What sets it apart is that besides your boring basic FPS crap you have control of Psychic powers as the main weaponry for the character. This is where the game starts to get good. You can levitate objects with your mind, drain brain powers from enemies, leave your body to search through walls and my favorite, mind control people. Now whether you think this is too sci0fi or not, these make for a great game and the ability to do things in several different ways. Example: Let's say you come to a gate that is locked but you can see through it. Well you could turn around jump on a box and levitate it over the gate with you on top. Or YOU could mind control a guard, shoot all the soldiers in the area, have him open the gate and then have the guard (in a cool close-up) put his rifle in his mouth and commit suicide. Nasty stuff. The controls are also well done and fit you character very well. The Xbox controller is able to handle most of the moves in this game and camera is well done as well.

The Graphics

Graphics in this game are well done. They are way above such games as Manhunt, or Red Dead Revolver but not quite on the texture level of Ninja Gaiden. The main thing that this game has going for it is the graphics of the PsiPowers. The Boss fights are really well done and feature some nice artistry. The same goes for your Psi-Powers, The other thing I will mention here is the Physics of this game. The Physics engine is the same one from HL2 (The Havok 2.0 Engine) and is used to great effect in this game. If you mind control a solider and make him jump off a cliff you can watch as he realisticlally bounces of rocks and plummets to his death. The same thing goes for the soldiers as you use your Psi Powers to levitate them and slam them into walls. Heads break and arms snap as you slam them and then drop them to the ground.The same goes for Crates, Flammable Barrels, etc.

The Stroy
What can I say? The story seems to be a bit hackneyed but as you play the whole conspiracy angle starts to take effect. You start to have flashback and your memory slowly returns. You are not sure who to trust or even what side you are on for a while. And in fact some of the bosses you face are your old partners. Good stuff.

All in all this game is really fun to play. As I said before the Physic Powers and the Havok 2.0 Physics engine really set this game apart from all the other currently out. A good fun game that has excellent replayablity value with all the codes and secrets that you can unlock. Everything from Boss Rush mode to Boss Skins to even unlocking Scorpion from MK fame.

I give this game a solid 8 out of 10.

Posted at Xbox-Scene, Future Gaming, and Xboxanomics

Edited by Mr. Blonde, 28 June 2004 - 01:10 PM.

#2 mauiwaui

mauiwaui

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:32 PM

i think this game is pretty fun to quick question tho, how do u make the ppl kill themselfs when u do mc on them?

#3 notsodiseased

notsodiseased

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:10 PM

walk them into a level hazard or walk up to explodeable barrels and make them shoot it thus killing them.

#4 mauiwaui

mauiwaui

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 04:09 AM

yeah i know that way of doing it, thats what i do but if u could make them blow their heads off that would be cooler to see and some times theres no explodeable barrels around to kill them

#5 Mr. Blonde

Mr. Blonde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:48 PM

To make them kill themseleves. And this only works for the low-level soldiers as far as I can tell. You simply MC them and then hold down both analog sticks. The BAM.....

#6 notsodiseased

notsodiseased

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 02:42 PM

awesome. i read that somewhere but could not get it to work. it should work on anyone because you can MC the elites if they are not aware of you yet.

#7 snake3k1

snake3k1

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 04:10 PM

ever since i played the demo, i was hooked

#8 sulfur

sulfur

Super Xbox Saiyan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 July 2004 - 11:18 AM

its a good game, story seems cool, gameplay is great. i just starting to get tired of killing guards. overall i would give it a 8/10

#9 Mr. Blonde

Mr. Blonde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:09 PM

Anyone know how it's doing sales wise?

#10 stcogolin

stcogolin

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:09 PM

Cool Game. The ragdoll physics is awesome. Not jumpy and stuttering like in Fight Night 2k4.

#11 Srdjan

Srdjan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:38 PM

Mr. Blonde, thx for suicide tip it makes a good game even better!

#12 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 October 2004 - 07:44 AM

man, i played this game like an addict until i beat it... (about 3 days) really good game, id rent it and beat it rather than buy it,
4.5/5

#13 Jully

Jully

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 26 October 2004 - 02:24 AM

yeah it is good, don't rent second sight it is just a cheap knockoff of psi-ops

#14 Barnolde

Barnolde

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 30 October 2004 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (Jully @ Oct 26 2004, 03:27 AM)
yeah it is good, don't rent second sight it is just a cheap knockoff of psi-ops

It was in development BEFORE Psi-Ops and it's just as good. Psi-Ops is more action oriented, while Second Sight is more of a stealth game with an awesome story. Both games rock. Second Sight is also $20 new now and well worth the price, I'm loving it.

Edited by Barnolde, 30 October 2004 - 05:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users