12 replies to this topic

#1 mrmiscellanious

mrmiscellanious

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:17 AM

Xenon is powered by a 3.5+ GHz IBM PowerPC processor and a 500+ MHz ATI graphics processor.

What? I thought MS was going to make their own processor for Xbox2. Doesn't look anything more then a souped-up Gamecube (Processor, Graphics the same)

What's the fun in hacking this, I had my hopes up about running Linux on an all-MS Processor! biggrin.gif

Xenon has 256+ MB of unified memory.

Went a little cheap on the RAM again, MS, didn't you? dry.gif

Xenon runs a custom operating system based on MSŪ Windows NTŪ, similar to the Xbox operating system.

So does this mean that Windows is coming back to the PPC? uhh.gif

#2 EvilWays

EvilWays

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:43 AM

What? I thought MS was going to make their own processor for Xbox2. Doesn't look anything more then a souped-up Gamecube (Processor, Graphics the same)

What's the fun in hacking this, I had my hopes up about running Linux on an all-MS Processor!

Just because M$ didn't design their own CPU doesn't mean it will potentially be great.

Went a little cheap on the RAM again, MS, didn't you?

A little bitchy, aren't you? This is 4x the amount of memory the Xbox has. If the Xbox can get away with 64MB, then 256MB should be plenty for the "Xenon" in comparison.

So does this mean that Windows is coming back to the PPC?

More than likely, it's the kernel that's based off of NT with everything else being built "Xenon"-specific.

#3 mrmiscellanious

mrmiscellanious

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:45 AM

Just because M$ didn't design their own CPU doesn't mean it will potentially be great.

I just wanted to run Linux on the Xbox with the All-MS Processor smile.gif , then send them a video biggrin.gif

#4 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:49 AM

not only is 256 4x as much ram as xbox, but xbox has twice as much ram as PS2

far too many people compare RAM based on PC standards, PCs have ALOT more overhead than a game console, no OS (windows = bloatware) all xboxs have the same hardware specs, so no drivers are needed, all this means consoles need far less ram than a PC

#5 Altima NEO

Altima NEO

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, XBox, 360, PSP, Dreamcast, 3D Graphics & Animation
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 July 2004 - 06:57 PM

ehh, what ever gave you the idea that MS would design their own cpu?
MS isnt into hardware manufacturing as much as they are into software. Besides, its better if they have and experienced company like IBM develop it, as developing a CPU would take far too much time and money for MS.
So techincally Xbox 2 is just a beffed up Mac with a meefy Radeon. Gamecube has a PowerPC cpu in it too, if I remember right.

#6 Ballz2TheWallz

Ballz2TheWallz

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 02 July 2004 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (Altima NEO @ Jul 2 2004, 08:57 PM)
ehh, what ever gave you the idea that MS would design their own cpu?
MS isnt into hardware manufacturing as much as they are into software. Besides, its better if they have and experienced company like IBM develop it, as developing a CPU would take far too much time and money for MS.
So techincally Xbox 2 is just a beffed up Mac with a meefy Radeon. Gamecube has a PowerPC cpu in it too, if I remember right.

yeah a 485mhz one, and they suck it usally take 2 to compete with a equaly clok pentium, and powerpc chips pull front side buses out there ass

#7 polyesterjones

polyesterjones

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 July 2004 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE (mrmiscellanious @ Jul 1 2004, 05:45 AM)

I just wanted to run Linux on the Xbox with the All-MS Processor smile.gif , then send them a video biggrin.gif

Dude, that would BLOW THEIR MINDS.

I doubt they would even look at it. Mr. Billy Gates has better things to do, like put out a bunch of spin to explain why their OS has so many problems.. biggrin.gif

#8 EvilWays

EvilWays

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (lordvader129 @ Jul 1 2004, 05:49 AM)
not only is 256 4x as much ram as xbox, but xbox has twice as much ram as PS2

Good point, but I'm trying to remember if PS2 uses a unified memory model like the Xbox uses.

no OS (windows = bloatware) all xboxs have the same hardware specs, so no drivers are needed, all this means consoles need far less ram than a PC

Actually, they have an OS...but it's built specifically for the console and very small compared to the full-blown PC OS. (And thanks to KDE, Linux is almost = bloatware, and I'm not sure but Gnome is getting there too.) Consoles actually have drivers as well, but as you stated the hardware is the same across the board, so the drivers can be whittled down in size since only one version of hardware is all that needs to be supported by drivers (compared to, for example, nVidia's Detonator driver which supports many vid cards).

#9 nemt

nemt

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 01:04 PM

Sigh, it's an apple with a digial camera memory stick. cool.gif

...as long as the games are fun...

#10 Sageice

Sageice

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 July 2004 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (Ballz2TheWallz @ Jul 2 2004, 09:12 PM)
yeah a 485mhz one, and they suck it usally take 2 to compete with a equaly clok pentium, and powerpc chips pull front side buses out there ass

Your not very smart are you (you can't even spell so why am I even asking)? iamwithstupid.gif

Power PC clocks are faster than an equal x86 processor (intel/amd) around 2x. x86 processors are 32bit while ppc processors are 64bit so lets say you have 64bits of data going to both, it will take the ppc processor half the time as the x86 processor to compute it. That is why the GC performs great with a 485 MHz processor. And if you don't think the GC performs great for a 485 MHz system then you are likely a fanboy. MS went with IBM and the Power processor for a reason, they saw the power Nintendo was able to get out of the GC. MS isn't dumb, they know they can do more with the ppc processor than with an x86 processor. This will make the Xenon a force to be reckoned with.

#11 Altima NEO

Altima NEO

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, XBox, 360, PSP, Dreamcast, 3D Graphics & Animation
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (EvilWays @ Jul 4 2004, 12:41 AM)
Good point, but I'm trying to remember if PS2 uses a unified memory model like the Xbox uses.

If memory serves me well...
PS2 has seperate ram.

I cant remember how much system ram it has, but I do know it has 4 megs of video ram

#12 Roj X. Mugwump

Roj X. Mugwump

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:45 AM

it would be kewl if they went lotech on it, and did like an 8 p2 pc cluster in a xbox smile.gif

lmao... that would rock...

roj

Edited by Roj X. Mugwump, 06 July 2004 - 05:49 AM.

#13 Casper1786

Casper1786

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (Altima NEO @ Jul 5 2004, 06:29 PM)
If memory serves me well...
PS2 has seperate ram.

I cant remember how much system ram it has, but I do know it has 4 megs of video ram

I think it has 32MB system ram, i'm not positive tho, i just play the system, long as it's working an plays my games i don't care, the xbox on the otherhand, i've read so much stuff off the modders scene over the last 6 months, and i don't even have my system modded yet lol, stupid me doesn't even know what version it is but i'm guessing on 1.4, ohwell i'm not poppin that cherry until like october when i have less things more important to pay 4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users