WiSo

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:27 PM

Unfortunately I don't see many ACLs come out recently for fixing long filename issues with newer games. Maybe this little guide could help you to understand what to do.

You know that dvd2xbox renames files which don't fit to the fatx convention. This doesn't mean that games will run afterwards. You may think why are they then renamed ? For later use maybe... who knows :-)
Unfortunately the files are often not 1:1 linked in the default.xbe (otherwise it would be easy to code an automated process). Therefore your help is needed.
There're two methods you can use. Both start with the same actions:

1) enable logfile writing and copy the game with dvd2xbox to you harddrive
2) connect to you xbox and get the default.xbe (general media checks removed) , the defautl.xbe_orig (original xbe) and the copy logfile.
3) search the logfile for renamed filenames and try to find it in the default.xbe file

Now you have two ways to create an ACL file. Use the default.acl file as template. rename the default in the game hex ([hex].acl).

Method 1:
Since 0.5.8 dvd2xbox supports patch files in ppf format.
4) make you changes to the default.xbe file until the game runs flawless
5) use the makeppf.exe file which is provided in the dvd2xbox package to create a ppf file by calling it on your PC with:
CODE
MakePPF [default.xbe_orig] [patched default.xbe] [gamehexname.ppf]

6) add the following line to your new ACL file:
CODE
AP|${DEST}\default.xbe|gamehexname.ppf|

7) copy the acl and the ppf file to the dvd2xbox/acl directory
8) done

Method 2:
4) make you changes to the default.xbe file until the game runs flawless
5) compare the default.xbe with the default.xbe_orig in a hex editor and find the bytes which changes. Then create a new ACL line for each filename:
CODE
HR|*.xbe|1|744BE8CAFDFFFF85C07D0633C05050EB44F605|744BE8CAFDFFFF85C0EB0633C05050|

The one indicates on which relative position the string should be replaced. 1 means the first position, * means all position if multiple occurence.
6) copy the acl file to the dvd2xbox/acl directory
7) done

Sometimes it isn't possible to use the dvd2xbox renamed filenames. But this isn't a problem either. Just create a new line in your ACL file which renames the file:
CODE
MV|${DEST}\dir\[filename renamed by dvd2xbox]|${DEST}\dir\[filename needed for your replacement]|

Hopefully this simple guide will activate some more people to try writing new ACLs to help the scene.

Thanks,
WiSo

Edited by WiSo, 01 July 2004 - 07:29 PM.

#2 drgreenchicken

drgreenchicken

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for the informative post biggrin.gif .

#3 simonseztech

simonseztech

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:23 PM

thanks for the info... hope it get pinned.

#4 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:59 PM

Hey, great post! I am going to temporarily pin it and see if we can keep it if we can clean up the pins in this forum. smile.gif

#5 Mixmusix

Mixmusix

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:23 AM

so by using this guide is it possible to play HP POA fully from start to end off of my HD because i hate having to plop my disc in everytime i wanna play

thx for the help
/\/\ix

#6 WiSo

WiSo

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:20 AM

If you relink all files in the binaries - probably yes rolleyes.gif

Edited by WiSo, 03 July 2004 - 11:20 AM.

#7 foozxc

foozxc

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 27 October 2004 - 03:15 PM

Im not sure if I get this or not, but once someone has fixed a game with long names, they could just upload their gamehexname.ppf and ACL and everyone else's game would work properly when they backed it up using thoes files?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users