• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 clogicgmather

clogicgmather

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Embedded systems/Programming,Games consoles,Biking & surfing. Running music events in Bristol UK
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:34 PM

Bios modding FAQ
Thought this might be useful considering how many questions get asked about it. I have listed these i reccomended order of use.

XBTOOL COLOUR PRESET MAKER
This tool complements xbtool and can be used to create .dxt files which can be used in xbtool. XBTOOl CPM changes the colours of the xbox logo and text on the main splash screen.
XBOX COLOUR PRESET MAKER
Select The colours using the sliders and once your happy with the way it looks select save, you will then be presented with a download dialog box, save this file into the xbtool presets folder

If your using the new super cool iND-Bios then see the note at the bottom as the rest of these tools are irrelevant.
XBTOOL
Changing boot order, fan speed, logo colour, front LED colour,removing animation, Resizing bios

One word, XBTOOL this program is nothing short of amazing, ive used it countless times without a single problem THIS TOOL DOES NOT WORK WITH 4983 bioses, use 4981 instead. Just to stress again this means there IS NO EQUIVELENT TOOL FOR THE X2 4983 BIOS!!!
XBTOOL
Run xbtool and select open, select the desired bios you wish to edit and make the relevant changes. To implement the xbt preset file saved from the aforemention Xbtool Colour Preset Maker select the drop menu menu under presets. There you should see your saved file, select this and click Save As to save the outputted file.

LOGO-x2
Changing the MS/Xecuter Logo

If you want to change this then use an X2 bios and not M7, X2 stores this logo in the bios so using a tool like logox2 will allow you to change this. You can use bmp or raw images, the programs a real no brainer select an image,select a bios, patch. There is a tool called logo-x which is older and patches the same logo but contained in the XBE of the dash your using. The Xecuter team found a way of incoporating this into their bios and this is why this only works with X2 bioses
LOGO-X2
Real easy, just select the bios file and the logo image you wish to use (See notes in the readme nfo for thisk) and path your bios. The ouputted bios is called output.bin and is located in the root of the LOGO-x2 directory.

KernelBasher 1.0

Changing Scene Colour\Camera animation\XBOX Text

There are various tutorials around on how to do this although kernelbasher will allow for basic manipulation, the current version allows for the flubbercolour, scene colour,fog colour, various other aspects and some camera movement options. It also allows you to make the background of the X logo white.
KernelBasher & FTT
Select open and choose your desired bios file (assuming your going through all these programs you should be using the output.bin file from logo-x2. Once selected choose your options and select patch, the outputted file is called flubbered.bin and will be located in the same directory as the originally selected bios file. READ PDF file with KernelfBasher for details on creating new Xbox text

However if you are using the new iND-Bios then the information above is pretty much irrelevant with the exception of XBTOOL COLOUR PRESET MAKER. The only bios tool you need for iND-Bios is kindly provided with the bios itself, these guys have taken the time to put together a nice little config tool to ensure minimal mistaskes for noob users. The tool can import the xbt files produced by xbtool colour preset maker.

Oh and just to answer an age old question, Which bios to use? If you wish to use all these tools then use a X2 4981/4982 bios as these are the most recent bioses that are supported by all 4 tools. If your a 1.6 user then at the moment Logo-x2 is out as currently theres only the EvoM8 bios.

If all else fails...
I felt this needed to be said, and i dont mean to sound patronising and am not implying i know everything but.... these tools ARE simple to use and assuming you have a sound knowledge of your computer & how to flash your modchip/tsop then you should be fine. If your unsure of how to ftp,pack/unpack bioses or anything else then read, this cannot be stressed enough. I have learnt ALOT from these forums and value the information contained within. Use search and read up. Ive found ppl are a lot more prepared to help someone who helps themselves.

Edited by clogicgmather, 05 September 2004 - 09:29 AM.

#2 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:10 PM

great job - pinned and old 'guide' unpinned.

#3 Tribis

Tribis

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:02 PM

Very nice post, question what ever happened to using "xbtool color preset maker" http://www.allxboxsk...p=general&cat=0 .

#4 Matronix

Matronix

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:32 PM

What do I use on the X4983.67 bios.... XBTool says unsupported

#5 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  • Interests:Doesn't matter...
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 16 July 2004 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Matronix @ Jul 14 2004, 02:32 PM)
What do I use on the X4983.67 bios.... XBTool says unsupported

4983 is not supported by xbtool since it is encrypted. you will need to unpack the bios with xbtool (you can still do this) and edit the kernel (xboxkrnl.img) with a hex editor. this can be a pain if you don't know much about hex editing. the best alternative is to edit 4981 instead with xbtool.

#6 bigfathwt

bigfathwt

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 July 2004 - 07:30 AM

Anyone know the correct order to use these tools in if you'd like to use them all? I tried to change all of the stats above, but the order is kinda weird and i havent figured it out yet...

#7 angelfly

angelfly

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:too many too list
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 July 2004 - 08:14 AM

preset maker -> xbtool -> logox -> flubbertool3

#8 XplicitContent

XplicitContent

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:Gurls, video games, computer modding, electronic modding, system modding, trampolines, & more gurls!

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:25 AM

Hey man, for the LogoX-2, you said:

"just select the bios file and the logo image you wish to use (See notes in the readme nfo for this) and path your bios."

Um...my computer won't open up the logox2_en.nfo for reading and I don't know anything about logo image now. When I go to select a logo, "chips" a bitmap shows up so I select that, but then I wasn't sure because I dont know what it is. Could you explain what the Logo thing is please. Thanx much bra'.

#9 XplicitContent

XplicitContent

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:Gurls, video games, computer modding, electronic modding, system modding, trampolines, & more gurls!

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:19 AM

But what if we want to edit the "XBOX" part when you turn on the Xbox, what program do we use to add a picture or different text in there? You didn't post anything about that and I saw someone who used a Biohazard picture instead of the letters "XBOX". So whats up?

#10 clogicgmather

clogicgmather

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Embedded systems/Programming,Games consoles,Biking & surfing. Running music events in Bristol UK

Posted 14 August 2004 - 11:20 AM

Thats because if youd read the README.TXT included with Kernelbasher youd realise its part of that program, or at least just read soem of the threads in here tongue.gif

#11 ddzc

ddzc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 02 September 2004 - 11:23 PM

Hi all, im new to this. I have everything setup for my install and im going to use the 4981 BIOS. My question is, to use the XBTOOL app or any others, does the bios have to be installed on the system first, or do I have to do all of the editing and stuff threw XBTOOL prior to installing the bios on my system

Thanks

#12 markland556

markland556

The xbox scene master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 05:00 AM

i followed some tut on changing the "xbox" wording and it did not work, but im sure i can fix that part, but what i wanna know is if there is anyway i can put longer words in there. so far its only like a 4 or 5 letter word before it says its too big. sad.gif sad.gif

#13 clogicgmather

clogicgmather

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 09:29 AM

Markland : Yes the new ind bios doesnt have any limits on the amounf of inds and verts you can use. biggrin.gif

#14 Savejonas

Savejonas

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:25 AM

Thanks for the flawless tutorial! I was a bit worried about placing my Tsop at the mercy of a bad flash, but everything went smoothly.

#15 Fartstick

Fartstick

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:18 PM

Where (what drive and folder) is the bios.ini file located to open in XBTool? I have scoured my C and F drives and can't locate it.

Sorry for the complete noob question... sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users