Australian Rat

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 July 2004 - 02:28 PM

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find anything on search and it's always bugged me.

How is it that x-linux managed to have their fonts avoid the clock loop? I mean, isn't it essentially the same process of booting specially signed, non ms code? They do after all run a modified msdash to link to linux.

Or is there something I've missed? Can anyone help explain?

#2 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 July 2004 - 02:58 PM

the original x-linux fonts or the later hacked mechinstaller fonts TRY to fix the clock loop by booting into the original dashboard really fast after the kernel is patched. They also patch the dashboard in memory to replace the live tab with a link to something else. So it goes like this. xbox turned on->xboxdash.xbe searches for font files->bert and ernie patch the key and patch the dashboard to use the original font files with the .bak extension.
Now the idea is that when the clock is dead the xbox is still able to reach it's dashboard and therefore will boot to the clock settings screen. This is not a 100 % clock loop proof fix although I never experienced any dangerous looping with the mechfonts and I used them on lots of xboxes.

#3 SeanicTheHedgehog

SeanicTheHedgehog

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:30 PM

Everybody I used to use the mechinstaller fonts for (xboxs ranging from 1.0-1.4) Looped no matter what after the clock was unset and no network cord was plugged in. UDE has been the only full proof font exploit.

#4 PedrosPad

PedrosPad

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (Australian Rat @ Jul 3 2004, 04:28 PM)
How is it that x-linux managed to have their fonts avoid the clock loop?

Simple - They haven't. The MA fonts still clock-loop (althrough it is better than others).

Edited by PedrosPad, 05 July 2004 - 06:29 AM.

#5 Australian Rat

Australian Rat

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 04 July 2004 - 12:54 AM

Ah, ok. Just thought they posted once on their site that their fonts do not suffer the clock loop.

#6 PedrosPad

PedrosPad

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 July 2004 - 06:33 AM

QUOTE (Australian Rat @ Jul 4 2004, 02:54 AM)
Ah, ok.  Just thought they posted once on their site that their fonts do not suffer the clock loop.

They may well have. The field tests looked promising. The fact that the clock-loop had not been fixed completely only surfaced after release, due to wide-scale adoption.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users