Photo

My System Is Not Well Equipped As You Can See...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tangu

Tangu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:38 AM

Hello guys !

Well first I'll tell you what my system is:

-a normal Sony 27" without any SVIDEO input, only RF input and normal RC audio output
- a toshiba dvd player with Optical output
- a sony VCR, with only composite output-input
- a Pioneer sound system with DTS and 2 optical input.
- THE Xbox wink.gif

OKay, maybe some of you noticed, but all my input output are already in USE !!! So when i got the Xbox, i cannot plug it to an empty input. So i unpluged the Sony VCR and i plugged the Xbox there.

So i can i have the sound through my 5.1 system, but, it is all pluged with normal RCA and i have to unplug-plug the Xbox everytime i need it ! Boooooring !!!

Is there a way to get a switcher for the video (with composite) to switch from VCR to XBOX and plug the Audio with OPTICAL cable all that thrue the Xbox !!??!

thanks
TanGU.

#2 africamagical

africamagical

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:28 AM

your not going to like this reply, but what in gods name do you need a vcr for?
i have a beta, but that doesnt mean i need to buy a swicher to plug my xbox, ps2 and beta all into the tv

#3 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (africamagical @ Jul 6 2004, 01:28 AM)
what in gods name do you need a vcr for?

Uh, you're an idiot. How do you timeshift shows (i.e. record them and watch them later) if you don't have a VCR or ReplayTV device? I can't imaging not having a way to record shows and watch them later. mad.gif

#4 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:42 PM

If you have 2 optical inputs on the Pioneer that makes the Xbox (if you have and optical out compatible pack) and DVD. I assume you have other non-optical inputs available for the other devices on the receiver? If your receiver only has 2 inputs total (optical and otherwise) then that would be the issue but from the way it reads I'm not totally sure.

#5 Tangu

Tangu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:42 PM

Well first, questionning or not the good having a VCR (it's VHS btw) is not my question here wink.gif

Second, to reply to ChrisF, yes i have 2 opticals input and many others like RCA, for CD, VCR etc...

But, how can i put an optical output to the Xbox + video out of all this ?

Any suggestion? Is there already a PACK from MS doing that ?

thanks again,
Tangu.

#6 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:58 PM

The MS Advanced pack offers video out and a spot for optical out. You plug the video into the TV or your receiver if it offers video switching. The optical output for audio is plugged into the receiver. The audio and video can be routed separately for your needs. (the MS advanced and HD kits both offer these as do the Monster versions 300x and 400x although the optical cable adapter must be purchased in the Lightwave X100 product).

Judging from your response it sound like there are plenty of inputs at least for your audio. The DVD and Xbox should use the optical while your VCR/TV etc.. can use the standard analog inputs (hopefully you don't have an optical output on your cable box cause you are out at this point).

I'm not really sure where you are running into problems. Many receivers are Audio and Video receivers and offer switching of both Audio and Video directly from the receiver. In the case you don't want to do that you can route the video to the TV and just the audio to the receiver (use separate cables if necessary).

But, how can i put an optical output to the Xbox + video out of all this ?

Maybe this is the issue - the optical output comes FROM the xbox to the receiver. The video FROM the xbox can be routed to the receiver or television as desired. Nothing goes INto the Xbox.

#7 Tangu

Tangu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (ChrisF @ Jul 6 2004, 07:58 PM)
The MS Advanced pack offers video out and a spot for optical out. You plug the video into the TV or your receiver if it offers video switching. The optical output for audio is plugged into the receiver. The audio and video can be routed separately for your needs. (the MS advanced and HD kits both offer these as do the Monster versions 300x and 400x although the optical cable adapter must be purchased in the Lightwave X100 product).

Thanks a lot for your reply ! smile.gif

So i did a search to see what kind of connection this Ms Avanced pack had, and i was disapointed a little bit:

http://www.xbox.com/...ancedavpack.htm

If it is the only one, well, it's a problem, because as i said before, i don't have ANY s-video input at all on my TV or VCR... sad.gif

is there another solution maybe ?

TanGU.

#8 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:52 PM

Uh, as you can see it has 3 RCA jacks. One of them is composite video, so while it offers S-Video, you can use composite with it as well. dry.gif

Aside from your digital optical delema, couldn't you plug the XBOX into one of the inputs into the back of the VCR for video switching at least?

Or you could just get something like this (you'd have to put the composite video across the digital audio coax, and the digital audio across the optical connectors, but should work):
http://www.copperbox...uneek=250744653

or this
http://www.hometech....o/rfswitch.html

#9 Tangu

Tangu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:32 PM

Ah...

Finally i got it to work with all your help.

Mr Ed: I did plug it into the input of the VCR temporary to make it work but now...

When ChrisF mention the thing about video switching from the receiver it gave me an idea. So i downloaded the PDF manual of my Pioneer sound system.

I plugged the Xbox directly into the receiver and the video output from it directly into the TV.

Hey everything works FINE !!! I just have to unplug-depug the video of the DVD player because i don't have any other composite cable. But as soon as i have one, i'll make the receiver do the switching for the DVD VIDEO too !

Now that everything work fine, maybe i can buy that Xbox Advanced AV pack to get a better sound.

Right now i hear the game with all 5 speakers ! but it's only PRO LOGIC at the moment (not digital), because of the RCA sound cable of the xbox wink.gif

thanks again guys,
TanGU.

#10 PsychoZX

PsychoZX

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:XBox modding and all other things gaming.
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Jul 6 2004, 04:52 PM)
Or you could just get something like this (you'd have to put the composite video across the digital audio coax, and the digital audio across the optical connectors, but should work):
http://www.copperbox...uneek=250744653

Nah man that video switcher is over priced. This is what I use.

http://www.the-conso...em_selector.htm

#11 africamagical

africamagical

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Jul 6 2004, 04:30 PM)
Uh, you're an idiot. How do you timeshift shows (i.e. record them and watch them later) if you don't have a VCR or ReplayTV device? I can't imaging not having a way to record shows and watch them later. mad.gif

uhhh your an idiot for not having a radeon 9800 like mine that takes coax in so i can record tv shows or whatever and automatically put them in avi, mpeg, mpeg 2 or whatever the hell i want

#12 Morien

Morien

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:37 AM

Really cbf reading the whole (one page) thread. But maybe this will help?

http://www.lik-sang....=video selector

Morien

#13 Tangu

Tangu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (Tangu @ Jul 6 2004, 10:32 PM)
Now that everything work fine, maybe i can buy that Xbox Advanced AV pack to get a better sound.

I did a search on Ebay... that Advanced pack IS really cheap there !!!

see: http://cgi.ebay.ca/w...bayphotohosting

I think i'm gonna buy that smile.gif

TanGU.

#14 fahrenheit

fahrenheit

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:58 PM

This is what I use and can recommend. It will switch (times four) S-Video, Composite, RGB SCART, Stereo and Optical and its cheap, don't know where you will find it in the US though?

Joytech AV Control Center

#15 Tangu

Tangu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (fahrenheit @ Jul 7 2004, 11:58 PM)
This is what I use and can recommend. It will switch (times four) S-Video, Composite, RGB SCART, Stereo and Optical and its cheap, don't know where you will find it in the US though?

Joytech AV Control Center

Hehe thanks but like i said, my receiver (sound system) aready include the video switching too !

Nice thing that i've bought smile.gif

TanGU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users