xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:49 AM

im trying to make a cable for a usb mencard..
i have the short conector end from a controller to cut up
but what can i use to plug the thumbdrive into ( cable with usb connector that has the right end )
a usb hub won't work will it ?

#2 AlTheKiller

AlTheKiller

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:02 AM

if you know where to solder the hub should work. otherwise just grab an old usb cable and put that end on your dongle (the wire colors should match, you dont use yellow). then plug it and the thumbdrive into the hub.

#3 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE (AlTheKiller @ Jul 6 2004, 01:02 AM)
if you know where to solder the hub should work. otherwise just grab an old usb cable and put that end on your dongle (the wire colors should match, you dont use yellow). then plug it and the thumbdrive into the hub.

somthing does not sound right...
you saying to plug the cable that i make into the front of the hub along
with the thumbdrive ?
with no conection to the back of the hub (normal PC conecter)

the problem is i know of no cable that has the "right" connector end that a thumbdrive will plug into (is there such a thing)

#4 S1L3N7B0B

S1L3N7B0B

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:14 AM

I need some better explanation.

1) What is your scenario?

A. Are you trying to attach the male plug comming off the hub to a female usb connector that is on a modified xbox controller cord?
-or-
B. Are you trying to splice the male cord comming off the back of the hub directly to a controller cord?

2) Do you have any female connectors or cords with a female side to them? (excluding the ports on the hub)

If you chose A. on the first question, then you need a female connector. Splice the coordinating colors on the insides of both the female connector and the cut dongle cable. Ignore the yellow wire (there isn't going to be one on the female connector) as it is only important with xbox light guns. Wrap up each of the soldered wires with electrical tape and try it out. If that isn't detailed enough for you, check a guide in the tut section of xbox-scene for usb cables. You now should be able to plug your thumb drive in one of the ports of your usb hub (along with anything else you may want connected in the remaining ports)

If you chose B. (which is the more efficient way of doing things in the case of you having a hub), then follow this. Cut and splice the xbox controller dongle with the male cord comming off of your usb hub being sure to match the colors of the individual wires. Wrap up the individual soldered wires with electrical tape and plug in. You can now attach the thumb drive into one of the ports on your hub along with anything else you may want to in the remaining ports.

Either way, I hope that helps. Good luck.

EDIT: BTW, A is the way to go if you intend on keeping functionality of the usb hub with a normal PC.

Edited by S1L3N7B0B, 06 July 2004 - 05:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users