• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Software2

Software2

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:Computing, gaming, and uh... is there anything else in life?
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:29 PM

After many different mods, I'm ready to attempt some windows. I think I've come up with a pretty sweet looking design... My only concerns are in the plexiglass.

My design calls for a ton of jagged and small bits all over the place. Layser's case is a good aproximation of the kinds of little bits I'm going to have. Well... at least in the overhead view. If you know his mod, you know his flames curve physically upward. My design, like the earth, is flat. tongue.gif

user posted image

Now, I know I could just slap on a sheet on the underside of the case, but I want the plexiglass to be flush with the rest of the case on the top.

So, should I cut the plexiglass to the same pattern I cut the case with?
Or is there a better/alternate way to do this?
Or if you've got any other thoughts... you know what to do wink.gif

#2 moron

moron

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:18 PM

Making it flush with the case is going to be a bitch. Most people don't even do that with simple shaped windows. Either slap a big sheet underneath, or you can take the time to cut out the pieces. The latter would be more difficult, but then again, it's your xbox.

#3 Garrett19

Garrett19

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:18 PM

I had to put mine under the design i cut out
because that would be really hard making it fit good keeping it flush so good luck with that if you do it that way. Too much to cut out on ur design too. But it would look cool it you got it too fit.

#4 Layser

Layser

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:Counter-strike, Modding stuff. Skiing skating and blading. Max power. Puck-rock and metel \\m//
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:26 PM

Hey thats my case laugh.gif aint been used as an example yet 'that i know of' honord mate, honord. If you need any help with the cutting or design feel free to ask me.

Curvy
user posted image

this is what it looked like non-curvy if it helps wink.gif
user posted image
user posted image

and before i cut it
user posted image

good luck bud. have fun with this one. always welcome people who don't make square fricken windows. you know who you are biggrin.gif lol

#5 Kean

Kean

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Video Games<br />Music<br />Audio Engineering
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:42 PM

First off...

Layser, I never saw profile pics of your case before...I didn't know the flames bent upward......wicked

Secondly......

If you manage to make the plexi flush then you rock 'cause I can't think of any way to do it that wouldn't be a complete pain in the ass

smile.gif

#6 Layser

Layser

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:Counter-strike, Modding stuff. Skiing skating and blading. Max power. Puck-rock and metel \\m//
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:46 PM

Yeah dude, i've been meaning to do a photoshoped sig but can't be bothered to learn to use photoshop, hense the cheapy sig pic laugh.gif and yeah it would be hard to do as the flames bend up, would be possable to fit it flush with the sides and under the flame. but those cuts took hours to cut. can't be arsed to cut perfect plexi. anyway, this case should be gone soon, and on with the next project... software, let us know what you plan on doing, in more detail, im interested now.

#7 eddy00968

eddy00968

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:modding anything and hanging out with girls and friends or at the cottage

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:13 AM

i kno you guyz dont suggest making it flush cuz its a pain in the ass but dont u think it will look shitty if the plexi glass is rite under it?? its not going to line up with the box itself! but if anyone knows if it looks alrite..tell me..and if u were to make it flush...how would u hold it together?? glue gun?? epoxy? thanx

#8 BobBrkersMyHero

BobBrkersMyHero

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:43 AM

i think every plexiglass window i have ever seen is pretty much just glued underneath...it looks pretty good and its not that noticeable. i did a couple ps2's with plexiglass windows and i just glued it underneath. looks really good.

if you were to make it flush..you would have to have a PERFECT cut, and you would have to have some sort of ledge underneath for it to sit on...which gives me an idea....hmm i gotta think about that...lol

#9 BobBrkersMyHero

BobBrkersMyHero

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:45 AM

oh and also...the xbox is not perfectly flat, it is curved just that little bit which makes it even harder to make it flush, becuase its not going to want to bend the same as the xbox does

#10 Software2

Software2

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:48 AM

Yes! A challenge!!! beerchug.gif

I certainly don't want it to just sit underneath. To me, that would be downright awful.

I've been making some templates for myself, and looking at my spare case, trying to figgure out how to do this. If I use plexiglass, I would have to fit it just perfectly. I'd probably end up wasting a few square feet before I got it right biggrin.gif

Layser, I'm honored I could be the first to use your case as an example. I'm supprised though. With such a nice case, I'm supprised nobody's tried something similar (They're probably just too afraid) wink.gif
However, I don't plan on copying you. My theme is "technological flames", so the curved and jagged points you have are exactly what I'm going to face.

I could heat the plexiglass to form it into shape... but I'm concerned about fingerprints or something else forming impressions.

Or, I could make molds of each hole and then use meltable beads from a craft shop. I've never seen this used in a case mod before, but it seems like it should work.

#11 eddy00968

eddy00968

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:modding anything and hanging out with girls and friends or at the cottage

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:53 PM

yeah well i was thinking this..make your design on the xbox, cut it out PERFECTLY on the pexiglass ( mite take a while) and then line the two up to make it flush and then could u just hot glue it on th ebottom so from above u wouldn't see it? or maybe use some epoxy cuz that stuff is srong and trys on clear...good idea or no?? u think it would work?

#12 MadCraiZ

MadCraiZ

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:18 PM

can always try and find a way to get access to a laser cutter...still won't get the plexiglass to curve outward slightly though.

#13 Software2

Software2

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:28 PM

Yeah, we figgured out what to do in another thread. (A New Low)

I went out and bought some plexiglass today, and I'm gonna test out some different ideas.

Different ideas:

Dremel the heck out of it
Heat and bend it
Sand the heck out of it
Cut it perfectly and angle it
Make molds and plastic melting beads instead

#14 Vortex_ICS

Vortex_ICS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (Layser @ Jul 7 2004, 01:46 AM)
Yeah dude, i've been meaning to do a photoshoped sig but can't be bothered to learn to use photoshop, hense the cheapy sig pic laugh.gif and yeah it would be hard to do as the flames bend up, would be possable to fit it flush with the sides and under the flame. but those cuts took hours to cut. can't be arsed to cut perfect plexi. anyway, this case should be gone soon, and on with the next project... software, let us know what you plan on doing, in more detail, im interested now.

what tools did you use to cut your xbox case Layser ??

nice box btw... smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users