• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 little_one_der

little_one_der

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:56 AM

Okie dokie, so today I started to try to do my own case modding. I went to the mall and got a soldering iron and some solder, some LEDs (they were radio hack sad.gif ), and a set of torx drivers...

I started with lighting the dongle... it was really easy, cracking it open was a tad harder than i thought ('member there are four tabs inside holding it shut) but i managed to get it open with VERY minimal damage. I soldered the LED to the proper wires and success! I taped the dongle to my table and taped the LED to the dongle, so I could use both my hands. My first attempt at soldering and it was really nice. It looks just like two "bumps" of solder where the wires are soldered to the plug. Yadda-yadda-yadda... I thing the LED is burnt-out (how can I tell?) because it don't work no more (but I tested a new LED and it works). I figure it because the LED is rated for 2.1 volts, and radio hack didn't have any resistors...

My next case mod was regarding the jewel and gawd foking he1l, I got it off the box really nicely, got rid of the metal shield easily as it was and followed the tut on how to remove the jewel with the freezer meathod. Put the top in the freezer, waited EXACTLY 30 mins, took it out, grabbed a shoe and started tapping it lightly at first and a tinny-weeni bit harder each time after that until it "popped off." Yeah, it popped off alright and nows there is also a big friggen crack in the middle of my case! BEWARE! The next time I get the chance to take a jewel off I definately gonna try the blow dryer meathod first! Anyways, I got some plastic epoxy that i'm gonna syringe into the fractures, then i got some bondo (which I may or may not use), then i'm gonna paint it. (Or, my friend is gonna try and sell his for parts and i'm gonna trade cases with him ph34r.gif )

Oh yeah, and as for clearing the jewel, I tried the rubbing alcohol, and it wouldn't make it through the white stuff, then i tried some nail polish remover, and that didn't work either, so i just started with some 600 grit wet sand paper (glued it to the floor) and worked with that, it turned out very nice IMO. It doesn't look scratched, it looks more "frosted" and i think that will be what I want when i put LEDs in the case around the jewel...

cheers everyone!

#2 markland556

markland556

The xbox scene master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:00 AM

well you started out just like we all did, im glad to hear your making sucess, but you really need to have resistors or you will fry all your leds.

#3 cromat44

cromat44

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:09 AM

don't use the hairdryer then freezer... i did. and it cracked... really hot, really cold = cracked

#4 twisted.penguin

twisted.penguin

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:13 AM

The freezer meathod is all around better, dont see how you screwed up unless you hit to hard, or stressed the plastic too much.

#5 little_one_der

little_one_der

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:21 AM

I totally understand... then again, they are just crappy radio hack LEDs...

I'm gonna order like 20 ultra bright white or blue and buy a whole heck of resistors day after next and do everything properly.

I just couldn't hold myself back... as soon as the dongle lit up I called every person i know who has a box and was like..." MY DONGLE LIGHTS UP!"
(oh and mods, could you deleted the other thread like this one... i double posted sad.gif)

#6 little_one_der

little_one_der

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:22 AM

i was holding it with one hand while tapping it, maybe that did something to it...

#7 spgurley

spgurley

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 08 July 2004 - 04:26 AM

You're the second winner of my "Beginner" award for being a good newbie roll model

You folowed tutorials, took your time, and didn't post 6 threads asking n00b questions that are answered in tutorials

user posted image

#8 xFusioNx

xFusioNx

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (spgurley @ Jul 8 2004, 12:26 AM)
You're the second winner of my "Beginner" award for being a good newbie roll model

You folowed tutorials, took your time, and didn't post 6 threads asking n00b questions that are answered in tutorials

Nice laugh.gif

Keep readin, and testing stuff out, you'll be a pro in no time.

#9 Software2

Software2

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:Computing, gaming, and uh... is there anything else in life?

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:24 AM

I agree. You're a newb, but in no way are you a n00b. wink.gif

Kudos to you and your experiences cool.gif

#10 markland556

markland556

The xbox scene master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:45 AM

you are one of the very few smart and rule following noobs, but keep workin at u wont be a noob for long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users