jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 July 2004 - 10:51 PM

Okay, I was thinking about maybe picking up an Eagle Talon or Mitsubishi Eclipse (older Turbo model). The problem is that I hate Mitsubishi Engines with a passion. Would it be possible to swap out a dead or dying Mitsubishi Engine with something else (ie Mazda, ect.) and then hook up and upgraded Turbo to it? The reason why I want one is that it is probably the cheapest AWD vehicle out there and alot can be done to them. I just hate the fact that the engines smoke after only 4 years of use. dry.gif

#2 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 July 2004 - 02:48 AM

well for one, most people that ask a question like this will more than likely not ever end up swapping any engines, esp if they don't own the car already.
secondly sure you can put any motor that will fit in any car, the problem would be wiring, mounts, etc. to put a non DSM motor into it would probably mean many new items, not just simply the engine
also the talon/eclipes/*lazer(if you go back far enough) is not really the only 4wd car out there, i'm sure you could find something else if you don't like dsm motors

#3 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:56 AM

decent awd cars that can be had "cheaply"
-DSMs, like the talon, eclipse, and mitsu galant (the laser was never available in awd)
-Older Audi quattros
-subies.... (The SVX with a 5 speed swap is sweet and different) (turboed 2.5 RS is nice)
-Mazda.....(323 GTX) B6t engine, 4 banger turboed. Upgrades easy. Nice little car if you can find one

Honestly the earlier dsm engines arent that bad. The newer ones are the ones prone to crank walk. Most reliability issue come when you double the hp on the engine, (Which is easier to do then on almost any other car) They are just so damn easy to upgrade that it's very easy to overpower the drivetrain and engine. If you're smart about it though, it can be a great care. I prefer the galant myself since it's less common and not as well know.

The GTX has a special place in my heart. Great little rally car. Find one. You wont be dissapointed.

#4 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:48 AM

I will keep an eye out for one. Thanks for the recommendation. I just want an AWD vehicle since they are quicker off the line.

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.autotrade...or=&cardist=731

Edited by jesterrace777, 12 July 2004 - 05:54 AM.

#5 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 06:07 AM

That's a great example. Very well modded. If you love Mazda and want AWD, it's THE way to go. I worked one as a member of the "pit crew" of a rally team a few years ago at the maine forest rally.

I still say DSMS are the BEST bang for your buck awd car there is. (And I dont really like DSMS).

BTW, the PGT intercooler is a GREAT, super cheap upgrade for that car. It's in any pre 93 PGT, Mazda MX6gt, of 626GT. And there's TONS of em. Ill bet you could get one for 40 bucks on MX6.com.

#6 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 06:10 AM

Yup, I don't like them as much as other cars but the reality of finances are setting in and by the time I would do everything I wanted to a 3rd Generation RX-7 (assuming I could find one) it would end up costing me a fortune and the early 90s Talons/Eclipses can be had for almost nothing. That and I like the idea of AWD. Then again if I could really dream about an AWD I would get a Skyline. wink.gif Anyways, what would be a good turbo upgrade for one of those DSMS models (yes I plan on getting a turbo version to start with)?

Edited by jesterrace777, 12 July 2004 - 06:14 AM.

#7 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:09 PM

get an s-10 or s-15, lower it, and put a v8 into it, grab a tano cover so your tailgate doesn't hold you back, and you're set

#8 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 06:29 PM

FUCK THAT. I hate low-riding trucks. dry.gif That is something else I will NEVER do to any vehicle I own. It is the gayest thing ever to watch a vehicle struggle to get over the tiniest speed bump without fucking up it's underside. mad.gif That and even after doing a bunch of mods, the Mitsubishi will still get about 5MPG better than a V-8 truck (when you aren't racing).

Edited by jesterrace777, 12 July 2004 - 06:32 PM.

#9 ravage73

ravage73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (Psilocybe @ Jul 12 2004, 01:09 PM)
get an s-10 or s-15, lower it, and put a v8 into it, grab a tano cover so your tailgate doesn't hold you back, and you're set

im with you man. and i have never had a problem with mitsi engines. but lowering a truck with a big engine is actually a bad idea. i knew a guy who had an s10 slammed with a 454. he went over a speed bump one day and ripped out the oil pan and lots of other shit. not cool. but i would take a slammed truck over a car anyday. just my opinion.

Edited by ravage73, 12 July 2004 - 07:27 PM.

#10 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 11:11 PM

i never said slam it (though i do like lowrider trucks), i simply meant lower it to fill in the wheel well some and help you out with handling, after all a 4wd truck isn't gonna handle the best at 100+mph when the bottom is siting 18 inches off the ground
also when it comes to an engine swap with a truck such as that or a dakota or something, you can swap a hell of a lot easier and cheaper and such plus many more places will be able to do it for you if you can't yourself. also as far as gas milage you can get those on the fly programmers that will let you change your fuel dilivery for normal travel (high mpg) or for race/high horsepower

#11 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 01:01 AM

He wanted AWD. If it were just cheap speed a Fox Body Mustang and a 5.0 is a pretty tough setup to beat. And you know the handling would be superior to that of a truck. If AWD is the goal, the DSMs are a very tough setup to beat. And there's SOOO much info on em.

#12 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE (Rylinkus @ Jul 13 2004, 03:01 AM)
He wanted AWD. If it were just cheap speed a Fox Body Mustang and a 5.0 is a pretty tough setup to beat. And you know the handling would be superior to that of a truck. If AWD is the goal, the DSMs are a very tough setup to beat. And there's SOOO much info on em.

Yup, AWD's are quicker off the line. IMHO trucks are designed for two things: 1. Hualing things around. 2. Going off road. They ARE NOT meant for racing. I view truck modding the same way I view modded civics. Anyways Rylinkus, you mentioned the older DSMS had better engines. I was thinking in the neighborhood of a '95, or are you talking about the '90-'94 DSMS? Also IYHO which do you think is the all around best car for the $ when it comes to a racing machine (ie modding options, low cost)? I really like the RX-7s but everything about them seems so damned expensive and the 3rd Generation ones are almost impossible to find now. Oh yeah, handling IS A MUST. I don't want something that can't handle corners.

Edited by jesterrace777, 13 July 2004 - 05:28 AM.

#13 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:50 AM

So I guess the Eclipse is still my best bet for a cost effective racing machine that handles well?

#14 Psykomantis00

Psykomantis00

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:29 PM

I own a prelude now, but my talon was a very good car. Im buying another soon for one grand just for a project, its turbo awd and shit. Very good cars.

#15 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:25 PM

Yeah, the Mitsubishi Eclipse/Eagle Talon seems to be the way to go for the money. I found a black '95 Eclipse on AutoTrader that has 400+HP and it is going for $12,500 and it is in excellent running condition. I am not going to find that kind of power and handling in another car for that kind of money.

Edited by jesterrace777, 15 July 2004 - 08:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users