86 replies to this topic

#61 PillMonster

PillMonster

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 12:24 PM

Yes you probably can use modchips on live - maybe for a day, and then MS invalidate all the XBE hacking/In Memory Modification/Whatever by giving you a nice new "Update" the next time you log on live. If any "fix" lasts more than 2 or 3 days I'd be suprised, maybe a week or two if MS want to use it to "catch" more modders - but I think their priority is to protect live.

#62 greengiant

greengiant

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 09:07 PM

shanafan if you would only be realistic and stop with these flaming wars. It leads no where.

As pillmonster posted, no matter what is made to circumvent the checks by XBLive, MS will always come out with a new protection. Part of XBLive is a feature where when a new version comes out, it will automatically download and update your copy of xblive software to the newest version, thus there is NO way of an effective cheat to the protection.

I do know vaporstone, but now by the name vaporstone, i know him from other place where his nick is different. Only realised this after I received a dozen msg's and emails asking about this bios.

#63 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 February 2003 - 10:11 PM

Part of XBLive is a feature where when a new version comes out, it will automatically download and update your copy of xblive software to the newest version, thus there is NO way of an effective cheat to the protection.

I am not trying to start any flame wars. If you knew Vaporstone like I do, he acts really immature about someone trying him to back it what he said.

Anyways, Live doesn't update automatically, it does ask you.

Edited by shanafan, 18 February 2003 - 10:11 PM.

#64 greengiant

greengiant

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 05:37 AM

Theres 2 types of updates.
Mandatory wich are done while you play a game or are on the xb live network. Those are used for future protection methods against modchips.
Voluntary wich are updates to the program for features and such.

Guess wich prompts you and wich doesn't.

#65 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 07:04 AM

Mandatory wich are done while you play a game or are on the xb live network. Those are used for future protection methods against modchips.

Interesting. Would'd you know about that?

#66 rooicity

rooicity

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 19 February 2003 - 03:51 PM

Maybe very dumb and stupid question so please be gentle on the flaming biggrin.gif

Since your Xbox is normally hanging directly to your Router your Xbox has a direct connection to the internet and thus Xbox Live.
Since being able to hack Xbox Live is so difficult cause of the fact that you should hack the software on the Xbox itself wouldn't it be possible to create the following setup :

Xbox with NIC --> PC01 NIC01 to PC01 NIC02 -> Internet/Xbox Live ( a simple pc with 2 network cards )

so that the Xbox is not directly connected to the internet and create a piece of software that scans the packages that go from NIC01 to NIC02 and back and remove or change all kind of packages that check for ModChips.

So whenever the software sees a request from Xbox Live to validate that no modchip is enabled the Software will block this package and send a package back to Xbox live with the answer that theirs no Modchip activated even if it would be so.

#67 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 08:28 PM

I still would like an answer about this. How do you know Live is updating your system when you are playing on it?

It does ask before you sign on, that an update needs to occur before continuing. That makes sense.

But, an "invisible" update??

#68 greengiant

greengiant

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 11:30 PM

shanafan its one of the things you learn when you do this kind of work. Little by little you learn things by accident.

rooicity that is somewhat of a possibility there are a few people working on figuring out the XB live protocol and to see if it is possible to intercept packets and either kill them or modify them.

From preliminary readings on posts and people talk, there are crc checks done on the packets sent from/to xb live network.

Edited by greengiant, 19 February 2003 - 11:32 PM.

#69 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 01:35 AM

shanafan its one of the things you learn when you do this kind of work. Little by little you learn things by accident.

Um, you still didn't answer my question... what proof did you get?

#70 pvwr

pvwr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 February 2003 - 03:47 AM

It does ask before you sign on, that an update needs to occur before continuing. That makes sense.

I would be worried with games starting to check for Live and the BIOS contents BEFORE you hit the "Play Live" tab, or even in non-Live games. They CAN do it, it's just a matter of how far they are willing to go.

#71 greengiant

greengiant

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 05:16 AM

So far no game checks the xbox in any way before ever hitting play live, no packets have been seen going or coming.

#72 rooicity

rooicity

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 February 2003 - 06:22 AM

It would be great if someone was able to get safe on Xbox Live with a modded Xbox but still i personally hope that they will never make it public to the masses ...

It would kill the Xbox, right know Live is the major reason that a lot of people are buying games instead of pirating them. It would be a shame if the Xbox became another Dreamcast story.

#73 pvwr

pvwr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 February 2003 - 01:54 PM

It would be great if someone was able to get safe on Xbox Live with a modded Xbox but still i personally hope that they will never make it public to the masses ...

I really bealive that if someone actually manages to do it, they will keep it to themselves. MS so far has been ignoring people bringing back their XBoxes from the land of dead (unbanning) as long as they play original games on Live. Of course if a hack to allow too many people to play backups on Live wold raise an eyebrown or two at Redmond, as forums just like this one would be full of messages like "How to play backups on Live - pin this!!", so anyone who find it out will most likely keep it quiet and at most do it (not show HOW to do it) for some close friends, that's it, so they can play backups and MS keeps happy with people playing originals. My 2c.

#74 greengiant

greengiant

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 07:39 AM

rooicity i feel the same way.

It would only ruin the experience, while MS will surely come out with new protection and such the pass-thru would only work for a few days.
It still would allow people to cheat on the system.

#75 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Music, Computers, Video Games

Posted 21 February 2003 - 04:01 PM

I agree also but the sad truth is, people are already cheating. Look at the fastest times on some motogp tracks. 3 seconds, 5 seconds, how could they not be cheating? And in unreal, 8000 kills a game? MS isnt stopping cheaters by far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users