• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pender

Pender

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 12:12 AM

This XBox modding scene has held a lot of interest for me, ever since I read about it on Tom's Hardware.

I'm only interested in the final product, which is an xbox that can use XBMC and SNES, NES, GBA, and possibly N64 emulators. I'd like it to launch the above in a user-friendly manner (i.e. no command-line interface or exploits that need to be performed every time), so I believe the EvoX dashboard would work best.

I'm leery about installing the modchip myself, so I'm considering getting FriendTech's premodded xbox with the 100gb hard drive.

I assume this will come flashed with Cromwell. Do I need to reflash it? I want the EvoX dash to start whenever the box is powered up.

Also, I have a Mac running OS X, and I don't have access to VirtualPC or the FlashMX program people talk about. Can the BIOS be flashed from an xbox program?

So here's what I'm thinking. I'll get the box, then burn a CD-RW with boxplorer and EvoX on it. I'll use boxplorer to copy itself and the dash to the Xbox hard drive, changing names and relocating files as necessary. Will this be sufficient to accomplish my goals as I've described them?

If I need to flash the BIOS, or if it would be best if I did, is there a way to do it solely from the Xbox and CD-RWs, without ever connecting box directly to computer?

Finally, what exactly does flashing the BIOS do? It sounds like I can run unsigned code as long as the mod chip is in the thing at all, flashed or not, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to its purpose.

I'd really appreciate any help at all. I've already read all of the tutorials and lurked in the forums for a long time, and I can't find these answers anywhere. Thanks a lot!

#2 Strud1512

Strud1512

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 July 2004 - 12:23 AM

I assume this will come flashed with Cromwell. Do I need to reflash it?

Yes. Cromwell only runs Linux apps. You need to flash it with a bios like X2-4983 to enable use of backed up games, replacement dash, emulators etc.
Also, I have a Mac running OS X, and I don't have access to VirtualPC or the FlashMX program people talk about. Can the BIOS be flashed from an xbox program?

The Cromwell bios has a built-in flash program. Just insert the bios CD when the xbox boots and it will flash automatically.
So here's what I'm thinking. I'll get the box, then burn a CD-RW with boxplorer and EvoX on it. I'll use boxplorer to copy itself and the dash to the Xbox hard drive, changing names and relocating files as necessary. Will this be sufficient to accomplish my goals as I've described them?

Yes, that will work. You will still need to copy more files over for all your emulators, but you can do this via FTP once you have the dash running. You can do all this from your Mac with the correct FTP client.
You could also get an EvoX auto-installer like Slayers 2.5 that will copy over all the necessary MS and Evox files along with some common applications (but it is better to do it all yourself for learning purposes).
If I need to flash the BIOS, or if it would be best if I did, is there a way to do it solely from the Xbox and CD-RWs, without ever connecting box directly to computer?

Answered above - no PC required (except to create the bios CD).
Finally, what exactly does flashing the BIOS do? It sounds like I can run unsigned code as long as the mod chip is in the thing at all, flashed or not, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to its purpose.

The modchip by itself is useless. You must put a bios on it to replace the MS bios so that backups etc can be used. A modchip with appropriate bios will basically remove the MS security options, allowing you to run unsigned code, replace the HD and lots of other useful stuff.

Edited by Strud1512, 14 July 2004 - 12:29 AM.

#3 Pender

Pender

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:05 AM

Thanks so much. You've answered nearly all of my questions, and I located the BIOS you mentioned (X2-4983).

The only thing I'm still wondering about is how to create the CD-RW that will flash the BIOS. The Xecutor site has tutorials, but they require a Windows-only "X2 Bios Manager" utility. Perhaps there is a disc image pre-prepared that I can burn straight to a CD-RW?

#4 Strud1512

Strud1512

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:23 AM

You don't need the bios manager. I don't know the Mac commands, but all you have to do is join the file together 2 times for a 512kb bios bank or 4 times to fill a 1mb bank.

eg. the DOS command to make a 512kb bios is:

copy /b 4983_256.bin+4983_256.bin 4983_512.bin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users