180 replies to this topic

#1 dan404

dan404

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 08:52 PM

Okay, answer the riddle then make your own if you get the answer correct.

A 10 foot rope ladder whose rungs are one foot wide is hanging over the side of a boat. At this time there is only 1 foot of ladder under the water. It now begins to rain heavily, if it rains at the rate of 1 foot every two hours, how many hours will it take to cover half of the ladder?

Edited by dan404, 13 January 2003 - 08:52 PM.

#2 Baal

Baal

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:05 PM

The boat floats...so will be allways 1 foot under the water.

#3 fizgig10

fizgig10

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:11 PM

It can't be this easy and I know I'm missing something but I'll answer anyway: the boat keeps rising as the water level rises so the water level will never climb higher up the ladder.

My favorite puzzle: You're in a room with three light switches all in the off position. One of them controls a lamp on a table in a room down the hall. You can do whatever you want to the light switches but once you leave the switch room to go down the hall and enter the lamp room you can't go back. The question is, how do you find out which switch controls the lamp?

2nd favorite puzzle: You have two barrels: 1 of wine and 1 of water. You take a cup of wine and pour it into the water barrel. After mixing, you then take a cup of the liquid from the water barrel and add it back into the wine barrel. The question is, how does the ratio of water to wine in one barrel compare to the ratio of wine to water in the other?

#4 dan404

dan404

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:11 PM

Good job, your turn to post a riddle.

#5 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:17 PM

To anwser the light one, im guessing you would just turn all the switcehs on at once?

#6 Baal

Baal

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:17 PM

i was faster smile.gif (for dan404)

btw

Your 1st riddle...mhhh dunno turn all swithces ON? smile.gif

now let me read the 2nd.

Ok the second: i dont understand the question....i'm not so good with english. sad.gif

Edited by Baal, 13 January 2003 - 09:19 PM.

#7 M3_DeL

M3_DeL

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:19 PM

bust out the 3 dimmer switches that you carry with you at all times. set one at off one at dim and one at full power. then goto the room to see if the light is off/halfway on/fully on!!!!!

the wine barrel will def have less water then the water which will have a larger ratio of wine to water

Edited by M3_DeL, 13 January 2003 - 09:22 PM.

#8 M3_DeL

M3_DeL

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:20 PM

if you turned all the switches on how would you know which one was the right one!!!!

#9 fizgig10

fizgig10

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:24 PM

if you turned all the switches on how would you know which one was the right one!!!!

Thanks... And nobody has got either puzzle right yet. M3, I thought as you did about the ratio question - almost lost some serious money until I thought it out a bit more and diagrammed it. Take another look at it.

#10 Potenza

Potenza

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:CARS Racing, Computers and my children
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (M3_DeL @ Jan 13 2003, 08:20 PM)

Who cares as long as the lamp is on? laugh.gif

#11 Potenza

Potenza

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:CARS Racing, Computers and my children
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:29 PM

Lamp riddle, you open the door of the room with the lamp, don't enter ent see if it is on. If it is not, you can still go back. Alternitavely and if available: keyhole.

Edited by Potenza, 13 January 2003 - 09:29 PM.

#12 dan404

dan404

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:31 PM

Obviously the Wine will have a higher water ratio since it has water in it no?. While the water only has a lil bit of the wine*?

Turn each switch on one at a time and whatever switch doesnt turn on a light in the present room is the lamp room switch?

Edited by dan404, 13 January 2003 - 09:32 PM.

#13 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:44 PM

The light switch riddle:

Turn on the first two and wait....

Keep waiting....

Keep waiting....

Keep waiting....

Turn the first switch off.

go to the room and examine the bulb. If it's on, then the second switch is the correct one (obviously); it it's not, but the bulb is warm, the first switch is the correct switch... and if it's cool to the touch, the third switch was the correct one.

#14 fizgig10

fizgig10

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:45 PM

Obviously the Wine will have a higher water ratio since it has water in it no?. While the water only has a lil bit of the wine

Both barrels have a bit of the other's contents in it. The question is how the ratios compare.

And no more stupid answers for the switch puzzle. Just to settle this: You can not see down the hall to the lamp room. In other words, the answer will work even if you are blindfolded while in the switch room (as long as you can feel which switch is which).

#15 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:47 PM

Well, my answer is correct on the light switch one....

How about this: Two US coins are worth 30 cents and one is not a quarter. What are the coins?

Edited by BenJeremy, 13 January 2003 - 09:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users