macafied

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:17 PM

bigmo24:

What does the tutorial say?
After the backup, xboxhdm should try to find your eeprom file but since your XBOX is virgin, it won't find one.

You do not need the eeprom file until you replace the hard drive. In order to get the eeprom you need to install the exploit.

So you should mod the original hard drive. Then create a new xboxhdm boot cd with the new files from the modded xbox hard drive including the eeprom. This way when you put the new hard drive in, UDE will already be in place.

Edited by macafied, 01 October 2004 - 02:18 PM.

#197 hossmonkey

hossmonkey

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:17 PM

I think there are some things implied or omitted in this tutorial? With the help of Kingroach I got the exploit over and then FTP'd to it and found my eeprom (/E/UDATA/4d530017/62D648EBF155/backup/). I've got the slayer files (extracted using XBOX ISO.EXE) in the c location & now have my eeprom in the eeprom folder & burned the linux.iso to disc.

Here's are a few things that confuse me in reading the Tutorial.

UNLOCK THE HD

1. My xbox hd should be powered by the xbox during this step so that it won't lose power during reboots from the PC?

2. unlocking or locking my original xbox drive is safe because it has the right eeprom? <----- I'd like to make sure!

3. I don't need to unlock the xbox hd drive by hotswapping because now I have the eeprom on the xboxhdm disc I booted off & it uses this to unlock it?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I baby step it through this tutorial.

Thanks guys!

#198 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 02 October 2004 - 02:32 AM

lol.. I think the tutorial didnt explained some questions for absolute noobs... probably I though everyone will know stufff like eeprom.bin as they are messing with xbxohdm. I will write a FAQ with all the question answered here so it will be more easy for noobs.

@hossmonkey:

1. yes, xbox hd should be powered by the xbox.

2. normally when u unlock hd by hotswapping, after u reboot the xbox it will auto lock. But if u unlock the hd using xboxhdm ( 3rd menu), then It will need to be locked again by xboxhdm otherwise it will remain unlocked. and yes its safe.

3. yes thats right, since u have the eeprom.bin u can just use xboxhdm to unlock it.

Edited by kingroach, 02 October 2004 - 02:37 AM.

#199 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:12 AM

F.A.Q FOR "XBOXHDM FOR DUMMIES"

q: is there any risk's when rebuliding your c: drive?

a: no there sint as long as you have the right files in linux>C folder. Kernel 5101 or less can use both dash 5659 and 4920 dash files but kernel grater than 5101 can only use 5659 dash.

q: I can't seem to find any doc about using the clone hd option. Whats the drive chain suppose to be like when using this option. I know I'll have 2 hd's and one cd drive, But whats master/slave and primary/secondary order?

a: Since this is just a clone the tool does not need to access the fatx filesystem, and therefore it doesn't matter which ide channel your source and destination drives are located on.
Of course you should be carefull choosing the right devices. I would remove your regular PC HDD just to be safe...

q: What do I do If my box is already modded by using UDE2, I wouldn't want to copy over my c:\ drive with an exploit that is outdated. Also, will xboxhdm work with 1.6 K:5838 D:5659?

a: xboxhdm doesnt depend on ur kernel or dash version. if u want to just format the F:\ drive then u dont need slayers disk. just make the iso without slayers C:\ drive files, you only need ur eeprom.bin in the eeprom directory. just boot xboxhdm and then unlock ur hd then format F:\ drive by option "4" after ur format then lock the hd. you dont have to do anything else.

q: how big is the eeprom.bin file?

a: 256 bytes

q: Assuming I have the initial 10G HD which has a 2G F:. Now if I clone this to a new one with say 120G, The FAT would still contain the 2G info making the rest assigned as F: but no way to be accessed.

a: That's correct. A fatx partition/filesystem editor could be made, but I dont think it exists yet.

q: were do i get the Slayers Disk 2.5 final file?

a: read this post on how to get slayers disk: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=117478

q: My bios is now fully up to date and finally I have a new IDE option. I can set the hdd to boot or non-boot. Could non-boot help with bypassing the xboxhdd frozen state?

a: Maybe. I dont see how trying it could hurt. You can always reboot and revert your settings. Once bootet run detectpm to display the status of the drive.

An observation on my PC (Compaq) was that before I found that I could bypass the freeze lock by disabling auto-detection, I could switch the drive to primary slave and it would boot without setting freeze lock. For locking this is OK since we dont need to access the fatx filesystem. Using the linux locking tools for this you need to run the actual locking tool manually (lockhd is a script wrapped around the actual locking tool for user-friendlyness). If on primary slave run :

CODE
find-cd2 check  (to mount the xboxhdm CD)
hdtool -d /dev/hdb -e /CD/eeprom/eeprom.bin -o LOCK

q: from the looks of the instructiosn how on earth u unlock/lock hdd when the hdd is on the pc and not xbox?

a: when the hdd is connected to the pc u lock/unlock hd with xboxhdm

q: will slayer 2.4 work rather than 2.5 also, there are 3 places that has this c drive dir, ALL,RETAIL AND LARGE which one do i use?

a: system>all>C

q: This is an audio hack from summer 2003 ( i think). Can somone tell me what files were changed in e: ? I know st.db, some empty folder somewhere, and some files in the root of e: .

a: E drive can be left blank.. st.db creates it self.

q: Does it matter which eeprom.bin it is? Just any that I find somewhere? Like the one in Config magic?

a: use one from ur own xbox cz the eeprom prepares ur hd for ur xbox.

q: So how does one get these files over? I've dl'd the slayer file and mounted it using daemon tools, but it shows no files? I've burn the disc and nothing?

a: because its a GDF image file. use xbox iso extractor tools lie quix or craxtion and command line GDFextraxtor.exe to extract the image.

q: with my new drive (should not be locked from factory) do have to lock and unlock it before I do build from scratch, build c, and build f or can I just do all these steps and then when I'm done do the locking?

when I lock the drive for the first time should it give me the key it used? or do I have to do something to get the key first before locking?

a: its unlocked so fisrt you dont have to lock it. First Build the hard drive from scratch then if your hard drive is bigger than 8gb it will ask you if you want to format F drive. type "yes' so your hd is build.

Then build the C:\ drive so it will copy all the C:\ drive files from ur cd.

when in the hd building menu you can type option 8 and it will give u the hd password, although not necessary I recommend u write down this password. After u build the hd u can reboot and go to option 4 (locking/unlocking menu). there if u type the lock command then it will lock the hd and will show u the password. after u lock its ready for use. if u anyhow forget the passwored the master password is I think "XBOXSCENE"

q: This may be the dumbest question of all but I'm ok with that. Is this all done with a Linux system or can it be done with XP?

a: it can done in any computer and any OS ( except MAC, i dont know if xboxhdm runs in a ppc).

q: I received my xbox today and am ready to put in a new harddrive and then mod it so I can play my backed up games. I do not have a previously modded xbox. Do I still need to somehow transfer over my eeprom.bin file from my xbox to my computer if it hasn't already been modded?

a: Your xbox first have to be modified before u can use new hd. its because u either need to run evox or configmagic to get the backup ur eeprom.bin and without that u cant use new hd.

q: If I follow the xboxhdm and UDE instructions, this only allows me to put in a new harddrive? or will I be able to play my backed up games? I'm going to be following http://www.stonespnl...=...wpage&pid=1
Do I need to get the gamesaves transferred over at some point or is does the UDE take care of that?

a: U can play both backup and original

q: Also, how do I incorporate Slayers Evox into the bootable CD made from xboxhdm? I would like to have most of the apps that Slayer includes in his installer.

a: I would recommend first just to install the exploit then u can just ftp and install new apps anytime.

q: Should i mod my original hd first with the UDE in order to be able to transfer over the eeprom.bin when I switch to a bigger hd?

a: yes

q: My xbox hd should be powered by the xbox during this step so that it won't lose power during reboots from the PC?

a: yes, xbox hd should be powered by the xbox

q: unlocking or locking my original xbox drive is safe because it has the right eeprom? <----- I'd like to make sure!

a: normally when u unlock hd by hotswapping, after u reboot the xbox it will auto lock. But if u unlock the hd using xboxhdm ( 3rd menu), then It will need to be locked again by xboxhdm otherwise it will remain unlocked. and yes its safe.

q: I don't need to unlock the xbox hd drive by hotswapping because now I have the eeprom on the xboxhdm disc I booted off & it uses this to unlock it?

a: yes thats right, since u have the eeprom.bin u can just use xboxhdm to unlock it

q: How to unlock harddrive using master password XBOXSCENE/How to removed the "Security Locked = Yes" ( only if the drive was previously locked using xboxhdm)

a: Step1. Boot up XBOXHDM with hard-drive attached (master)
Step2. Choose Option 4
Step3. Run/Type ATAPWD
Step4. (some cases) choose 'ENABLE OPERATIONS'
Step5. Choose 'ENABLE ATTRIBUTE AUTOSAVE'
Step6. Choose 'UNLOCK WITH MASTER PASSWORD' Password is XBOXSCENE (make sure it's in CAPS)
Step7. Choose 'DISABLE WITH MASTERPASSWORD'
Step8. Now exit ATAPWD (press Escape)
Step9. Now at command prompt ( A:\ ) remove the IDE cable only from your drive (leave the power cable in hard-drive) and restart your machine ( CTRL + ALT + DELETE )
Step10. Choose option 3 from XBOXHDM menu.
Step11. Plug back in your IDE cable
Step12. Type unlockhd -a

Now you should see 'Command completed successfully' and now your drive is unlocked and has the dreaded Security locked = yes removed.

Note:
If you get a message HARD DRIVE NOT FOUND on Step12 just restart the PC with both IDE and power cable in the Hard Drive, this worked for me on the second hard drive I done using this method
thnx Seany

Edited by kingroach, 28 November 2006 - 01:12 AM.

#200 Bocaj22

Bocaj22

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:44 AM

so if i get a new hardrive, and wish to build it from scratch. I still need to power it by the xbox when building and formating/partitioning?

#201 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:57 AM

not mendatory but if you power it by xbox then it will be still powered on when ur pc reboot. U can also connect the new hd to appropiate power cable from ur pc PSU.

#202 hossmonkey

hossmonkey

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 05:45 AM

so if i get a new hardrive, and wish to build it from scratch.  I still need to power it by the xbox when building and formating/partitioning?

I noticed that when I rebooted xboxhdm by hitting ctrl+alt+del the power stayed on? I'm no sure if this is with all MoBo's though?

#203 Assassin187

Assassin187

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 06:45 PM

how do i get xboxhdm to start up, im at the part where my xbox and pc are connected, do i have to hotswap to unlock first?

#204 Assassin187

Assassin187

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 06:52 PM

and also can the boot disc be a cd-r.

#205 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:11 PM

u need to ur pc bios set to boot from cd. In the boot order set "bbot from cd" to first.

#206 bigmo24

bigmo24

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:57 PM

Because I'm curious....
If I buy an xbox without a harddrive already in it...will I be able to put a new one in using the xboxhdm/UDE package or does it need to be modified somehow first?

#207 Assassin187

Assassin187

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 12:19 AM

im having problems unlocking my hdd, is my xbox suppose to power my hdd or is my comp supposed to

#208 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 01:46 PM

@bigmo24

u atleast need the eeprom.bin from that xbox.

@Assassin187

xbox is supposed to power the hd.

#209 Assassin187

Assassin187

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 03:32 PM

yo king everytime i type unlockhd at the commandline it doesnt work

#210 Assassin187

Assassin187

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 05:18 PM

i also tried using unlockx and everytime i put in the password it says hd will not unlock wtf?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users