• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 duhman0008

duhman0008

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:51 AM

I'm just wondering, I'm currently outputting my PC to my TV and Sound system to play my old school console and arcade emulators using PSX controllers. I was wondering if it was worth it going trough the trouble of playing those emulators on my XBOX.

Here are a few questions:

1- I really don't want to chip my XBOX or replace the HD; can I still play emulators on it using the 007 or MA hack?

2- If yes to the previous question, is it a pain to do the procedure?

3- Will those emulators run as well as they would on my PC (graphic, sound, control, compatibility?

Thank you for you time

#2 thegame_evolution

thegame_evolution

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:55 AM

1- I really don't want to chip my XBOX or replace the HD; can I still play emulators on it using the 007 or MA hack?

Yes.

2- If yes to the previous question, is it a pain to do the procedure?

Not if you understand what your doing.

3- Will those emulators run as well as they would on my PC (graphic, sound, control, compatibility?

Most. The only emulator that has problems with the xbox is Surreal 64. The xbox does not have enough physical resources to run most N64 games smoothly.

#3 duhman0008

duhman0008

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:04 AM

Hmm, you seem to know your stuff, can you tell me your opinion on the best available emulators for the XBOX of:

SNES/Super Famicom
Genesis/Mega Drive
NES/Famicom
GameBoy
GameBoy Advance
NEO-GEO
Capcom CPS-2
PlayStation

Also, about the transfering of the hacked save game (007 or MA) from PC to XBOX memory card, do you know if using a XBOX to USB controller converter would work by inserting a memory card in my XBOX controller?

Thank you

#4 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:17 AM

list of best emulators

isnt that a pinned topic? oh nm, its the first pinned topic.

#5 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:33 AM

If you already have the PC doing this for you on your television and have no desire to really delve into the Xbox - I wouldn't bother. Other than a game machine the Xbox basically fills the void of a home theater PC and emulation station so that would be duplication of efforts.

That list is the first pinned topic in the Emulation forum.

#6 duhman0008

duhman0008

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:39 AM

Of course, I've also considered that fact. It's just that if it's easy to do and does not require additional purchases, why not do not it, even if it's just a matter of saving inputs on my TV and having less cables running against my walls.

#7 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:57 AM

Xbox stuff isn't that easy. To get it really running right you should mod your box and put in a bigger HD to hold your roms (or you could stream them online from a server). I have a pretty extensive Emu collection. I like playing them in my home theater. If I had a PC there already doing everything my Xbox does (and more) with the exception of playing Xbox games - I wouldn't go through the learning curve. Look at all the help posts everywhere. This is not retail delivered on a platter. That being said you could contact the guy at the red link in my sig. He loves emus and would be willing to set you up with an install (or whatever) and most important some handholding to guide you before and after.

Kind of depends on how you value your time and money as this is more of an add-on thing for you.

#8 duhman0008

duhman0008

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 04:30 AM

Makes sense, I was planning to buy another PC anyway. Maybe I can pay extra and get one of those mini PCs the size of a GameCube to place next to my entertainment set.

I'll just let my XBOX do it's orignial purpuse.

Thanks for advice

#9 thund3rstruck

thund3rstruck

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:42 PM

I disagree with an earlier assessment that the XBOX modding is not easy. I knew absolutly nothing on the topic and in a matter of days (these great tutorials!) I had my mod up and running.

I was running a similar setup at my house. A wireless laptop S-video'd into my TV to run my emulators and stream info from my server.

Let me tell you... that setup does not compare one iota to this XBOX setup. This one, conspicuous box now performs the task of several machines. It runs all the emulators perfectly and the streaming quality is tremendously superb. The first time I ran XBMC and heard my mp3's playing back in DTS digital surround through my XBOX I was blown away.

The combination of the emulators, the streaming audio, video, pictures, etc, the DVD player (with great original features like true zoom and pan), and the games makes this little endevour the most satisfying I have had in a long time

#10 Crucifiedego

Crucifiedego

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:09 PM

I agree.....I feel comfy doing basic mods to the XBox and playing with emulators and stuff....and I'm not too terribly tech savvy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users