• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TheKman

TheKman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:20 AM

Howdy, im TheKman, all the way from Melbourne Australia.

This is my first post here, and i wanted to use it to ask a simple question, why do so many people here (especially new modders) make their xbox cases into torches. I mean I see so many “Here is my new mod, I added 437 LEDs so now the box is far brighter then my TV screen”

I guess it must just be a personal thing, but all these LEDs do nothing for me. Or is there another reason everyone does it?

Cheers and it is nice to meet me.

#2 QuikFeet

QuikFeet

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Guitar...video games, electronics, modding, Halo, LAN Parties, PC Gaming, money.
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:22 AM

Come on man. Its a chance to show off your skills, to make your box the best on the block. It makes it pretty too. wink.gif

#3 Kean

Kean

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Video Games<br />Music<br />Audio Engineering
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:24 AM

simple....women love shiney objects wink.gif

#4 estin

estin

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:25 AM

QUOTE (TheKman @ Jul 16 2004, 04:20 AM)
Howdy, im TheKman, all the way from Melbourne Australia.

This is my first post here, and i wanted to use it to ask a simple question, why do so many people here (especially new modders) make their xbox cases into torches. I mean I see so many “Here is my new mod, I added 437 LEDs so now the box is far brighter then my TV screen”

I guess it must just be a personal thing, but all these LEDs do nothing for me. Or is there another reason everyone does it?

Cheers and it is nice to meet me.

uuhh... because it looks cool. are you planning on just giving yours a paint job? cause personally i think the xbox looks better dark green/black like it is stock. i guess you could do a dvd window, but sorta useless in the dark when its not lit up.

#5 TheKman

TheKman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:29 AM

fair enough, i am buying a box this week (right now im boxless), but i think ill pickup the clear crystal one instead, and dont get me wrong, i dont hate the idea of having the thing elluminated, but i just dont see why some people go so far over the top.

Oh well, each to their own i guess

#6 maverick13

maverick13

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (TheKman @ Jul 16 2004, 04:29 AM)
....elluminated, but i just dont see why some people go so far over the top....

Illuminated and it is addictive. Jewel led's are like gateway drugs or Lay's Potato Chips..... First thing is 8 led's around the jewel, then the next minute you turn around the thing is lit up like a Christmas tree and bringing planes down in your front yard....

And good luck getting a Crystal........ biggrin.gif

Edited by maverick13, 16 July 2004 - 02:33 AM.

#7 TheKman

TheKman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:36 AM

damn gateway drugs, you just cant trust them.

also i might end up painting the inside of the crytal like a few people around here have done, i love the red and the blues ones people have done.

#8 maverick13

maverick13

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:37 AM

SERIOUSLY though, good luck getting one. Maybe try Ebay if you $500+ lying around....

#9 Scucci

Scucci

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:40 AM

Kman, I agree with you. I do like lights in the box, but I don't care for it being so bright I have to wear a welders mask just to look at it. Basically, what I did (when I was working on my xbox, now I'm working on a box that's shared and majority rules) was I added the lights, but instead of using 100ohm resistors, I used resisters that were higher values... the LEDs would still light up, but it was more accent light than anything else... start of with a resistor around 3-4k and see how that looks, then work your way up or down as you see fit. Or see if you can find a nice potentiometer then you can adjust the lights brightess as you see fit... you'll have to run a few extra wires (which might not look too hot in a crystal case, unless you keep all the metal shielding in there)... anywho, just my 2 cents... or pense... or whatever...

#10 Roj X. Mugwump

Roj X. Mugwump

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:43 AM

SERIOUSLY though, good luck getting one. Maybe try Ebay if you $500+ lying around....

there are a shit load of crystals in australia still...

roj

#11 maverick13

maverick13

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:45 AM

QUOTE (Roj X. Mugwump @ Jul 16 2004, 04:43 AM)

there are a shit load of crystals in australia still...

roj

Thanks.... didn't know that. I thought when I saw a guy on Ebay selling the case for $200 the world had come to an end.

#12 TheKman

TheKman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:49 AM

i could try ebay, or i could walk 3 blocks from my house, and say to the person behind the counter, "hello, one crystal xbox please" to which i beleive she would reply "That will be $288AUD, and here is your free game" i would hand over some money and say "Thank you" and proceed to walk home.

Or another totally different opion would be to drive to the store.

So its really up to me about how i get my hands on one.

LOL beerchug.gif

#13 TheKman

TheKman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:50 AM

didnt see the above posts

#14 maverick13

maverick13

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:53 AM

I guess I was stuck in my Ameri-centric world/POV.... sorry buddy. So that is about 200 USD???? Wanna be my new friend?

#15 Scucci

Scucci

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:56 AM

So crystals are still all over the place in Austrailia? Nice, I'll have to pic up a few when I'm down there. Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users