• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 e lo

e lo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:19 PM

I remember reading a description/tut about making a clear eject and power button out of hot glue so that the entire thing lights up via the LED ... but now that I've got a hot glue gun I can't find it! I've searched to no avail. Anybody remember where that is, or have their own method that works for this?

Thanks!

#2 gcskate27

gcskate27

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts
  • Interests:video games, prgramming, comps, skateboarding, cooking, taking care of my lizards and dachshund
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:29 PM

there used to be a tut on hardmods but its gone now... basically the guy just used clay to make and impression of the front and back of the plasitc button setup, poured hotglue into the 'front' one, lined them up and pushed the 'back' one onto the front... let it harden, removed and trim excess... wink.gif

#3 blindbug

blindbug

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:29 PM

I can't find the tutorial but the basics of it is:

1. Get some Playdough, and make it nice and even on the top.
2. Take your button assembly and mash it into the playdough to create a mold, pull the assembly out nice and easy to make sure the hole doesnt get larger.
3. Put playdough in the back of the buttons to get a mold of the little X posts that will hit the actual button on the PCB.
4. Fill the outer button mold about 1/2 the way up and quickly before it dries put in the rear mold. (This is where it gets tricky, I tried this mod but the X post inside the controller would never turn out right, I think that if you fill up the X and then put it in the outer mold that it should turn out better)
5. Fill in all the mold(s) and allow to harden completely.

Remove and enjoy. You might have to use an xacto knife to trim the edges or widen the hole(s) that go over the posts on the inside of the face of the xbox. Also you might want to try silly putty or another harder mold material if your having problems.

Good Luck

#4 Barcode

Barcode

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:37 PM

http://www.hardmods....=&showtopic=226

THE TUTORIAL WITH PICTURES.

#5 e lo

e lo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I appreciate it.

e lo

#6 twisted.penguin

twisted.penguin

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 16 July 2004 - 07:48 PM

Hehe, Hotglue. I'm in the process of getting a guy I know to manufacture clear ones, wich I will sell.

#7 pegasys

pegasys

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:08 PM

I didmine with solder, it kind of worked but damn I got some bad burns from that project, I couldn't get the back part right, solder cooled 2 quick, the only thing I can think of is us inga really hot iron, I only have a cheap RS 15Watt sad.gif .

#8 Barcode

Barcode

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:02 PM

Why would you ever do that with solder? Every time you press your eject button or power button you would be touch a mixture of lead a mercury.

#9 trentdadi

trentdadi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 02:25 AM

QUOTE (Barcode @ Jul 17 2004, 12:02 AM)
Why would you ever do that with solder? Every time you press your eject button or power button you would be touch a mixture of lead a mercury.

Maybe he is doing it for some one he doesnt like...

#10 pegasys

pegasys

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 03:48 AM

Hmm didn't think of that, I just thought it would look cool, my friend recently purchased the chrome cas from customxbox.net and he wanted metal buttons, solder was the only metal that I could mold easily. Would a coat or 2 of cleat coat stop the whol poison brain damaging chemicals problem?

#11 estin

estin

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE (Barcode @ Jul 17 2004, 12:02 AM)

i'm pretty sure there isn't any mercury in solder. i think its illegal to have mercury in anything these days. hence their being no mercury switches, or thermometers being made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users