70 replies to this topic

#1 splash911

splash911

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 03:18 AM

Project : Personnal Video Recorder (PVR)

First, sorry for my poor english.

What is it? It is a box which makes it possible to record television live. You can PAUSE, move back a few minutes, jump commercial breaks and especially, record live TV. It is already sold on high-end systems. Rather than a video tape recorder, the data is recorded on the hard disk (buffer memory).

Goals : Integrated a software solution into XBMC and in Xbox to allow these functionalities of interactive television. From the material point of view, two solutions are considered at present, see below.

Required Functionnalities + Importance degree :
PAUSE (CRITICAL)
Fast rewind (5 secs-1 min) (CRITICAL)
Jumb back (up to 30 min) (HIGH)
Skip commercials break (LOW)
Record Live TV (CRITICAL)
Encode video data to Xvid or Divx (MEDIUM)
Audio encoding to mp3 (MEDIUM)
Integrated to XBMC as iTV (HIGH)
PC free (MEDIUM, high difficulty)
Remote Channel Selection (HIGH)
Nice apperance (MEDIUM)

What are the current solutions ?

1- The XBOX is connected on the LAN. The coaxial entry of television is connected on an apparatus which will seek the frequency band of the necessary station (selected remotely), digitizes it and transmits it out on UDP package on the LAN. The XBOX, via XBMC, will be able to activate and close this numerisator, to choose the station to be listened, to read the stream and to display it. XBMC and its new module iTV, to be conceived thereafter, will manage all the functionalities to be established.

2- To replace the numerisator by a software on a PC (on the same LAN as Xbox) which will take the acquisition of the video chart and to send it over the LAN stream.

What is the schedule ?
For the moment, the startup of the project depends on its popularity. I will wait until the end August to recruit people and to possibly be able to test project 2 (simple). Once this stage reached, if the request for a numerisator is large, I will try to seek if this product exists, how much it costs, and how to integrate this solution into our project.

Briefly :
Jully- August: - Startup of the project
- Training of the team
- design Beginning of the software and analyzes feasibility of the various options
- Test of option 2

September - Seek and design the numerisator for the solution #1
- Improvement of the software, addition of functionality
- Recording optimization (encoding of quality and effective)

October-December ? - Dependently of the difficulty of buying, of assembling, or of designing the numerisator, evaluation of advance.
- Xbox Software (via XBMC) and PC (releases)

Due date : 31 december 2004 or before!

[i]Actual Team[i]

Xlash (Splash911 on X-S) - Network & Hardware & Electronic & Telecommunications
Shadownet - Software & Data acquisition

This project raises great challenges which we will not be able to take up alone. If you are interested by this project, a part, or that you know what already exists, we await your collaboration for finally supplementing the center of entertainment which Xbox occupies in a family room! We don't have any Xbox software development yet, but we will need any help as offered.

Official forum is in french on XBOXSTYLE.com. An active subject will be on Gueux.NET, and on Xbox-scene.com

Thanks to the Xbox Scene, and sorry for my poor english!

Edited by splash911, 17 July 2004 - 03:19 AM.

#2 bx2a5z

bx2a5z

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:05 AM

That certainly sounds like an interesting (and difficult) idea. I'd help you out if I had the talents you guys have, but obviously I don't.

(Oh, and BTW, no need to apologize for your English. It's more understandable than a lot of native English speakers around here! smile.gif )

#3 splash911

splash911

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:35 AM

The difference is surely because I'm trying harder!

Thanks for your support, we will wait to get enough developper (as needed) and to see if the project is interesting enough for you guys.

C ya

#4 UnLckyN

UnLckyN

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 05:46 AM

Good luck Ive been hopeing someone would make a pvr beerchug.gif

#5 drRAVALOT

drRAVALOT

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 17 July 2004 - 01:31 PM

wait a sec.....so u mean this is going 2 be a program....... that i can put on my box so i can save tv shows and crapp..... my friend has a tevo thing and it can use xbmc to watch tv shows....then i just save them on my hd ...then ftp and burn them on a dvd so i can watch them on any dvd player....it would be sweet if u can just get a program on xbox 2 save all that shit...because yea......i dont wanna buy a tevo

#6 splash911

splash911

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 02:05 PM

It won't be just a TiVo. If the project kicks off well and enough people and developpers are interested, it could be a stand alone project, PC free. You would have to plug the TV cable (coaxial RF modulated) into a "digitalisor" which would transform it into stream packet on a LAN.

#7 Lukenatme

Lukenatme

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 July 2004 - 03:31 PM

Best of luck.

#8 RcbUK

RcbUK

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:28 PM

Good luck, sounds very good biggrin.gif

#9 drRAVALOT

drRAVALOT

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:15 AM

DUDE THIS IDEA = one of the best.... ! lets get crackin! but because i suck at this shit....lol ...b

i love going on xbox scene on my xbox lol w00t!thanks 2 linksboks!

#10 wolf202

wolf202

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 18 July 2004 - 05:41 AM

blink.gif love.gif record live tv love.gif best of luckbe the first in line to test and dl this thingy jester.gif lol

#11 splash911

splash911

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 07:14 PM

NEWS.

Gamester17 from XBMC will put me in contact with Friendtech. They will surely be of great help to engineer a stand-alone little box which let you replace your VCR by your new XBOX ;-)

Here's his answer on XBMC forum :

If you need a sponsor or cooperate backer for the numerisator I can put you in contact with FriendTech who I'm sure would be interested
(FriendTech told me before they were looking into something similar with no-PC approach, they too have electronic-engineering resources/skills)
I'am understanding your intentions about the numerisator correct I'm I not? you plan to engineer a standalone box similar to Dreambox/DBOX2?
(EDIT: To clarify; by "similar to Dreambox/DBOX2" I mean capability to pick up TV and stream over network, I didn't mean decode-satellite-TV).

If your only doing the PC=>Xbox side instead then think integration with MediaPortal either via a ccXStream-server or even better UPnP be best.

PS! Would it not be better if we move this topic into the development or hardware-forum since you are coding/building it yourself? are you not?

Edited by Gamester17 on July 17 2004,18:19

I'll draw a graph to show eveyone what it would like. Stay alert!

#12 splash911

splash911

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:00 PM

user posted image

#13 gronne

gronne

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:47 AM

This sounds very interesting. I know they spoke about similar stuffs more than a year ago, but, if I remember correctly, they didn't think it would be possible because the xbox wouldn't be able to process that much information real-time. I don't know if that would apply to your project, since you seem to have thought about most parts, but I'd advice you to check that up, so you don't do hard work if it's not possible. But I believe and hope you guys will pull it through because I've been stunned about what the xbox can achieve before.

#14 splash911

splash911

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:39 AM

I didn't here about that, but I must disagree. I own a P3 450 mhz, and I can stream live TV pretty well. The only thing may be the amount of ram limiting the options of buffering (number of channel, rewind, and recording(simultaneous encoding). We will be sure to try with a PC streaming the data before going into hardware engineering!

Thanks for your intersest, stay tuned

#15 geniusalz

geniusalz

Team MXM

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:22 AM

Can one of those USB AV capture devices be used instead of a 'numerisator'?

I don't exactly know how one works, but it can be bought for less than $100. If that is cheaper than what the 'numerisator' will cost, then obviously it is the better choice.

It might require more processing on the xbox's part, so might not work.

But anyway, here's one I found:

user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users