• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scheisskopf

Scheisskopf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:25 PM

Sorry for being a dork, but I'm trying to figure out what modding an Xbox entails before diving in headfirst. I've read up on a lot of tutorials and guides and such and it doesn't seem to exceed my limitations. biggrin.gif

I've decided on a Xenium Ice solder-less chip. It's got some good features and whatnot but I like the fact that it's solder-less since I have no experience and would rather not ruin my xbox. Solder-less install seems easy enough.

After that, I'm a litttle confused. After the chip is installed, will I need to update the Xbox's BIOS? I understand I get them from mIRC, but where would I find what the the latest version is? And I will install these BIOS by making a boot disc using my CD-RW?

And the chip comes pre-flashed with its own OS. After it's running well, I'll need to put a dashboard on there, so I'll probably start with EvoX and see how that is. I'll transfer this from the PC to xbox using my network and FTP? Will WS_FTP suffice?

And once EvoX is installed I'll be able to copy my games onto the hard drive (this is the main feature I'd like to mod my xbox for, at least for starters). My version 1.0 hard drive will be able to hold 1 or 2 games, correct? If it all works out, I'll upgrade to a larger HD.

That's what I gathered from a couple hours of research at this site. Do I have a decent grasp on some of the basics (enough to get me started at least)? Are there any glaring omissions or mistakes?

Thanks. beerchug.gif

#2 ti85man

ti85man

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:xbox....
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:54 PM

you got a good grasp on the whole thing.

as far as flashing the new bios goes, if you have the xenium ice, you can get the chip working, get to the chip OS2, it'll start auto upon starting with the chip in, and configure your network settings, ftp into the xbox, put your bios file on the hard drive and flash it from there. that way you don't have to worry about making a bios cd which can suck if you have a crappy dvd drive.

yes you can also ftp in to put evox on the hard drive as well. I have not tried WS_FTP with OS2, so I can't tell you if it'll work. I use FlashFXP to do all my FTPing.

you should have enough room on your stock hard drive to put a couple games on there... Once you do, you'll go buy a big one... all the stuff you can put on there... it's addicting.

#3 kyrail5427

kyrail5427

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:45 PM

I was just wondering whats the size of the orginal xbox hd for one of the first versions.

#4 oxjeremy334

oxjeremy334

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts
  • Interests:Being a Rhinestone Cowboy
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:52 PM

8gb and 10gb, some you can get an extra 2gb on the f drive, I jsut ftp everything over then reformat the hdd, the ftp everything back and there is the f drive...probably a quicker way though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users