• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 rewen

rewen

X-S Member

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:You (this only applies to women)
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 15 January 2003 - 01:51 AM

Some of you may have had problems with modchips like the old Aladdin mods and the cyclone mod, either you couldn't install them (half moon connectors come off really easily) or yours wasn't flashable. Others have broken pins off their Matrix (don't ask). There are many reasons why this guide may come in handy.

Purpose: To use the SST chip from your modchip as a standalone mod, which is flashable via evox

It's pretty simple really, we just take the SST chip from the socket of the old modchip, or desolder it, then do some bridging of the pins and wire it all up smile.gif

Here is the pin layout digram. All you need to do it connect all the points of the same color on the socket or chip, either by bridging them with solder or connecting wires. Then you connect your mod to the LPC bus on the Xbox motherboard, again to the apropriate colors. Credit goes to Milksop for the original diagrams =)

user posted image

Here is one of my 2 LPC Mod v2.0's that I had, this one worked:
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

However the 2nd one was a dud, fortunately it was only the PCB so I simply took the SST chip from the socket, followed my diagram above, and here is the finished product:
user posted image

Edited by rewen, 15 January 2003 - 01:54 AM.

#2 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 January 2003 - 02:20 AM

Man, this isn't even OC12 friendly... heh heh...

I'll pin this, as it seems helpful (and the pics are so purty) biggrin.gif

#3 rewen

rewen

X-S Member

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 02:34 AM

beerchug.gif
Thanx, now if only my soldering iron wasn't old and crusty, my work would look nicer tongue.gif

BTW that last pic, the d0 spot isn't touching any other points like it looks to be. It's actually a small piece of wire inside the hole (30awg, just fit) that broke off and I left that in, soldered another wire to it on a 90 degree angle. Kinda like this:

user posted image (from http://www.xbox-scen...articles/d0.php )

Edited by rewen, 15 January 2003 - 02:37 AM.

#4 c0.zen

c0.zen

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 02:52 AM

good job bro, talk about a cheap modchip smile.gif and xblive friendly, definately what we have been lookin for smile.gif
keep up the good work
c0.zen ph34r.gif

#5 dizzle

dizzle

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 05:00 PM

Interesting how you installed the switch, do you mind taking a picture of the other side of the switch, and with the box closed?

#6 rewen

rewen

X-S Member

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 09:33 PM

I only had that huge switch, I had to cut the case to get it to fit, I'll take a pic later =)

#7 rewen

rewen

X-S Member

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 11:38 PM

What I meant above is that I actually cut the case on the side for that big ass switch. Anyway I got a new one now:

I dropped by Radio Shack and got some momentary push buttons.

With this you hold the switch in for a sec or 2 when you turn on the xbox. When you let go the switch is off again. The switch can be off after boot (the mod stays on because the bios is probably cached and/or the xbox will remember to look in the LPC for the bios, and won't switch back to the TSOP till next boot).
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Edited by rewen, 18 January 2003 - 01:15 AM.

#8 explicitlyrics100

explicitlyrics100

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Interests:everything
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 January 2003 - 08:44 PM

heh yeh that would work out cheaper than any mod out there at the moment, i cant believe it would be insecure or anythign either! a few instructions on a simple separate site and an easy way to get hold of all the chips would put u in business!!!!!! lol Chris

Edited by explicitlyrics100, 21 January 2003 - 08:44 PM.

#9 nautiazn85

nautiazn85

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 07:56 AM

Nice job bro! biggrin.gif

Edited by nautiazn85, 16 February 2003 - 12:10 AM.

#10 Tripamang

Tripamang

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 11:09 PM

curious if you have schematics for replacing a 256k SST chip for a 1 meg one? (49LF020 for a 49LF020-a) or if it's the same deal wink.gif

Thanks

#11 rewen

rewen

X-S Member

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 09:02 PM

Sorry, I don't =(

Milksop's page states that it won't work (with any known method to him) and I don't know how

#12 blackout_19

blackout_19

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 09:48 AM

I think this is a better way to do the switch. It's a mini single pole single throw 'toggle' switch, easily available from radio shack etc...

All that is required is a tiny piece of the shielding to be removed. No changes to the case at all.

user posted image

#13 rewen

rewen

X-S Member

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 07:48 PM

Yes, most people do that, but I like the momentary switch so that the mod is never on unless I hold it when I boot, that way no little pest children can go on xbox live and get me banned

#14 Qxboxmod

Qxboxmod

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 12:28 AM

hi, all, I have the SST49LF020 chip, an i have install according to the picture. However, when i try to flash the chip with Eox it said "unknown flash type"
I have already configure the EVOX.INI with Flash = 0xbf61,"SST - 49LF020",0x40000
still doesn't work. can anyone help me here? TIA

#15 rewen

rewen

X-S Member

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE (Qxboxmod @ Jan 28 2003, 12:28 AM)
hi, all, I have the SST49LF020 chip, an i have install according to the picture. However, when i try to flash the chip with Eox it said "unknown flash type"
I have already configure the EVOX.INI with Flash = 0xbf61,"SST - 49LF020",0x40000
still doesn't work. can anyone help me here? TIA

Did you bridge all the pins except the one on the side of the chip shown in read in the diagram? You need to bridge all those and connect them to to the other red spots...

i'm not sure exactly what I could be other than a bad install (not install, but workout of the pins on your behalf or something, I can't explain lol).

I actually made these diagrams before I used them myself, and when I used them they worked 100% so I don't think it's on my behalf =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users