• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Modding my Xbox :)
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:15 AM

Notice!
This guide is already getting a bit old. You don't need to change your EEPROM anymore! Check out how to install UXE - it works on any Xbox. If you can't find any guides to install UXE, read this guide over. Besides editing the EEPROM, installing UXE is almost identical to installing UDE or UDE2 exploits.

UDE2 Guide To Kernels 3944 - 5838 | Guide V3.5
Version 3 Edits:
Update: Finally have a configmagic tut that works thanx to afandiewinter for submission and shanafan for writting. Also, how to safely use xbox live with UDE taken from brianforever. Also added PBL-MEETOO-M8 to the tutorial for those who wish to upgrade their HDD's past the 137+GB mark
Update2: Hopefully the configmagic walkthrough is finally OK with everyone. If you see anything wrong lemme know smile.gif
Update3: Brought to my attention that the update.xbe patcher package was updated; tutorial updated accordingly to use that new package
Update4: Added some additional warnings pertaining to configmagic
Update5: Added my $.02 pertaining to HDD backups.
Update6: Added option to use ldots m$dash patcher instead of hex editing and comment about updated fontpacks (thanks Ims0nia)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary:
This tutorial helps you softmod your xbox using UDE2 step by step in about half an hour. When you are done with this tutorial your xbox will be running EvoX on a stable modded environment that doesn't suffer from the infamous clock loop problem.

Included in this tutorial:
-Enabling Xbox Live to Work With UDE2
-FTPing In
-Switching the Xbox region for NTSC-J PAL users
-UDE2 Preparation and Installation
-Enabling the M$ Dash From EvoX
-Enabling DVD Playback

This is the EXACT procedure I used; if you have a different way, that's nice, but don't post telling me what you do and do not need and so forth. If you know what you do and do not need, write your own tutorial. Also, UDE2 isn't the only solution for all kernels, in fact UDE2 should primarily be used on kernels 5713 and above. However it will work on the kernel range listed above. It is recommended that if you are below 5713 that you do use UDE .:Tutorial:.

First A Few Notes:
1: Modding you xbox can be blah blah, Shit can happen blah blah, Always make a back up blah blah, THIS VOIDS YOUR WARRENTY.

2: I STRONGLY recommend reading this over at least once and understanding it before attempting it. There are ALOT of steps here, but it's drawn out to make it simple and very easy to understand. If you are uncertain about any steps post a question and I or someone else here will definately try to help.

3: This method is ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH USA/CANADA NTSC BOXES. Although, if if you are a NTSC-J or PAL owner, you can use configmagic to switch your region and fix this issue. YOU CAN SERIOUSLY FRAG YOUR BOX HERE SO BE CAREFUL! However, if your kernel is below 5713 you can use the regular UDE .:Tutorial:. and leave your EEPROM alone. Lastly, if you fail your install after switching your region, only a Mech Assault disc can rescue you as the PAL splinter Cell and 007 AUF discs will not function anymore.

4: I can't stress the topic of backing up your Xbox's HDD enough. In this tutorial I only state once to backup your Xbox HDD. But, it's best to make another after you successfully have a modded and running Xbox WITHOUT any extra installed software. In other words, as soon as you boot into EvoX, use the backup utility in "System Ultilities" to backup your eeprom once again and then make another full backup to your computers HDD. For me I was able to fit both backups onto one CD-R. These backups can make the difference between minutes and hours if your run into problems and need to restore your Xbox.

Things I needed:
(Note: If you can already FTP into your box skip to item 12 and goto section 4)
(Note: Action Replay can be used in substitution for a friends xbox .:Tutorial:.
)

-For Section 1 - XBL Compatibility
1. Xbox Live Subscription
2. Your Virgin/unmodded Xbox
-For Section 2 - FTP and Backup
3. Your Xbox
4. Friends Modded Xbox
5. Copy of Mech Assault Game Save exploit (A Usual Place)
6. Memory Card
7. Original copy of Mech Assault (Not Platinum or Game of the Year version)
8. Networked PC and extra Ethernet cable OR PC and a Ethernet crossover cable
9. FlashFXP - GLOBAL TOOL
10 About 500MB free hd space(For XBOX backup)
-For Section 3 - Prep Configmagic
11. Configmagic FINAL (A Usual Place)
12. XBEDUMP (A Usual Place)
-For Section 4 - Preping the Hack
13. Fonts 6.0 - Needed for K: 5101, 5530, 5838
14. Fonts 7.0 - Needed for K: 5713
(Note:You will need both font packs regardless of kernel version
15. Update XBE
16. NkPatcher - If you don't plan on upgrading your HDD past 137+GB
17. PBL-Meetoo-M8-Beta1 (A Usual Place) - If you plan on upgrading your HDD past 137+GB
18. Slayers 2.5 FINAL ISO (Theres a torrent out there)
19. Qwix to extract the Slayers ISO
-For Section 5 - Installation
20. EvoX or dash of your choice signed by Habibi (A Usual Place)(I'll be using Evox)
-For Section 6 - Switching Regions
N/A
-For Section 7 - Accessing M$ Dash
21. Hex Editor Of Your Choice (I used Hex Workshop) - GLOBAL TOOL
--OR--
22. ldots M$ Dash Patcher .:Here:.

Section 1 - Preparing Xbox Live For UDE2:

(Note: YOUR XBOX MUST BE 100% UNTOUCHED/UNMODDED FOR THIS TO WORK OR YOUR XBOX WILL GET BANNED FROM XBL)

1. With your subscription in hand load up your virgin Xbox and load up XBL (Xbox Live)

2. Setup your account and let XBL update your dashboard (automatic)

3. Reboot

(Note: All you have to do to play an XBL game when your finally done with UDE2 is to boot the Xbox with the retail game in the drive. Doing so will load everything from the game and nothing from the HDD therefore bypassing all the mods and making M$ XBL services happy. DO NOT TRY TO USE XBL FROM ANY OTHER STATE THE XBOX IS IN OTHERWISE YOUR XBOX WILL GET BANNED FROM XBL)

Section 2 – Gaining Access:

(Note: If you are using action replay and/or already have the game save on a mem card skip to step 8)

4. FTP into your friends Xbox.

5. Take the Mech Assault gave save directory and copy the “Udata” folder to your friends Xbox in: “E:\Udata

6. Load their Xbox into the MS Dash and go to the memory manager and copy it from the HD to the memory card. You want to copy the little block called "Run Linux" under the Mech Assault section.

7. Then put that memory card into the controller on the unmodded Xbox.

8. Boot Xbox and copy game save from the memory card to the HD using the memory manager. While your in the M$ Dash, if you don't know your kernel #, go back to the main dashboard then: "System > System Info". Wait for the M$ stuff to scroll and at the bottom is "K: ##.####.##". Your kernel is the "####" part

9. Remove the memory card and reboot Xbox.

10. Pop in Mech Assault.

11. Goto "campaign" and load the saved game: "Run Linux"

12. This will allow you to FTP in your Xbox using l/p: "xbox/xbox"

13. Go to "System Utilities" and choose "Backup". This will create a "backup" dir in the root of C: including your EEPROM and HDKEY

14. At this point, make a backup of the Xbox’s hard drive to your PC.

Section 3 - Prep Configmagic For Region Change:

(Note: If your Xbox is USA or Canadian aye wink.gif skip to secton 4)
(Note: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AN UN-EDITED COPY OF YOUR EEPROM SOMEWHERE ON YOUR PC)
(Note: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AN UN-EDITED COPY OF YOUR EEPROM SOMEWHERE ON YOUR PC)

15. Once you have Configmagic Final loaded onto your PC, there will be a directory in it called DATA.

16. Move the EEPROM.BIN file, that EvoX generated into the backup directory, into that DATA directory, overwriting the EEPROM.BIN file that is already there.

17. At this point you will need to sign the default.xbe with xbedump: "xbedump default.xbe -habibi"

18. Rename out.xbe to default.xbe and then ftp the configmagic directory to your xbox in: "E:\apps\configmagic"

19. Edit evox.ini in the Mechassualt gamesave and add the following line: Item "Configmagic Final","e:\apps\configmagic\default.xbe"

Section 4 – Preparing The “Hack”:
20. Extract the "Update XBE" download into a directory.

21. Using Qwix extract the Slayers disc to your hard drive. Open Qwix, click "Extract ISO", find the iso on your harddrive, click "ok" and then point to where you want it extracted.

22. From the extracted Slayers directory copy "System > All > xodash > update.xbe" to the directory in which you extracted the Update XBE executable.

23. Create a new directory on your PC anywhere. The name doesn’t matter. We’ll call it DIRECTORY X for the heck of it

24. Using the executable select the update.xbe from Slayers

25. Then click "Patch update.xbe" and save to DIRECTORY X

(Note: Pulling update.xbe from Slayers downgrades your dash; if you want to use your original dash; which I haven't tried, then use the update.xbe from your xbox harddrive located at: "c: > xodash > update.xbe".

(Note: If you are modding a 5530 kernel use the generic 6.0 bert font for the next step)

26. Extract the fonts zip (Either 6.0 or 7.0 depending on your kernel version; known Kernel-To-Fontpack compatibility listed in Things I needed) Within go to nfl-fever-2003-us-s1916928 and copy Bert-<your kernel-version>-01.xtf into DIRECTORY X.

27. From font pack 7.0 grab and put Ernie.xft into DIRECTORY X.

28. Extract Nkpatcher which should be named Default.zip and move default.xbe from it into DIRECTORY X. --OR-- Extract the PBL-Meetoo-M8-Beta1 package into "DIRECTORY X\MEETOO" - Making the sub directory in this case makes life a bit simpler since there is more than just one file and will help insure you don't accidentally place files where they shouldn't be.

Section 5 - Installation:
39. FTP into your xbox (Using the Mech Assault and Game Save again)

40. In the C folder rename xboxdash.xbe to org-xboxdash.xbe.

(Note: If you DO NOT have a "Fonts" directory in the root of C:, then you have a pre-xbox-live dash and the original fonts are in the root of C: Skip to step 42)

41. Rename the Fonts directory to F0nts (that’s a zero not the letter O)

42. Create a new folder called Fonts.

(Note: If you are modding a 5530 kernel use the generic 6.0 bert font for the next step)

43. Within the new fonts directory copy Bert-<your kernel-version>-01.xtf and Ernie.xft from DIRECTORY X to it.

44. Go to DIRECTORY X and move xboxdash.xbe to the C folder of Xbox.

45. Back out of C and go to E

46. Copy default.xbe from DIRECTORY X into the root of E. --OR-- Copy the contents from DIRECTORY X\MEETOO into the root of E

47. Extract the Evox files (you should have a skins dir / evox.ini / default.xbe or evoxdash.xbe)

48. If it contains default.xbe simply rename it to evoxdash.xbe.

49. Copy all three of those items right to the root of the C folder.

Section 6 - Switching Regions: NTSC-J and PAL ONLY

(Note: If your Xbox is USA or Canadian aye wink.gif skip to step 62)

50. From EvoX select "Config Magic Final"

51. A warning screen will be shown, press "A" to bypass it.

52. When Configmagic Final finally loads, it will show your current EEPROM on your Xbox. Make a note of the DVD KIT ZONE and VIDEO AND XBE REGION information.

(Note: "Unknown, Region 2" for Xbox gamers in Asia | "PAL, Region 4" for UK Xbox gamers)

53. Select "LOAD XBOX EEPROM" in the menu.

54. Select "UNLOCK HD" in the menu.

55. Load the EEPROM.BIN file in the DATA directory by choosing "LOAD EEPROM FROM .BIN FILE"

56. If you see that the VIDEO AND XBE REGION information is different, you MUST change it. Go into the menu and choose "ON-THE-FLY EDIT EEPROM". Change the VIDEO AND XBE REGION number to the proper information of your former EEPROM.

57. Now, select "UPDATE XBOX EEPROM" in the menu.

58. Your Xbox's EEPROM will now be updated with the file in the DATA directory.

59. In the menu, select "LOAD XBOX EEPROM". You will notice your EEPROM is now different! Success

60. Select "LOCK HD" from the menu.

61. Select "EXIT CONFIGMAGIC" in the menu.

(Notes:
- If you were using the XBOX DVD KIT to play DVDs, and the Xbox gives an error about region, load up Configmagic and change the DVD KIT ZONE number to the number of your previous EEPROM. UNLOCK the HD, choose "ON-THE-FLY EDIT EEPROM" in the menu and simply change the DVD KIT ZONE number. Then, UPDATE XBOX EEPROM and LOCK HD. Exit Configmagic.
- You can view any Xbox EEPROM using your PC by getting Liveinfo PC program. It will show all the details of an EEPROM.BIN file. You might find it easier to edit any possible changes to your DVD KIT ZONE or VIDEO AND XBE REGION using the program, rather ON-THE-FLY EDIT EEPROM in Configmagic.
- Sometimes, with a PAL EEPROM, your Xbox's time might be wrong or video settings will be different. Go into the MS dash and change the settings to the way you seem fit
)

62. If you have a game in the Xbox, power down by using eject and remove the disc / if not just hit power.

63. Power up and if everything went right, your now staring at Evox!

(Note: If when you bootup you lock up @ the bootscreen and there are NO errors displayed, chances are you need to use the other font package. This is the culprit 99% of the time) Go back to step 43.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU ENCOUNTER HAVING TO SWITCH FONT PACKS AND THE KERNEL NUMBER ISN'T LISTED NEXT TO THE FONT PACK IN THE LIST OF NEEDED ITEMS ABOVE, PLEASE POST AND TELL ME WHICH PACK YOUR KERNEL NEEDED SO I CAN NOTE THAT FOR FUTURE USERS. THANK YOU biggrin.gif

Section 7 - Getting To M$ Dash From EvoX:
64. First off, go to System Utilities in Evox and choose "Backup"

65. FTP into C: on your xbox and put a copy of org-xboxdash.xbe (from step 40) in the backup directory (after we hex edit the xbe it won't be signed anymore; this will just provide you with a backup)

66. Download evox.ini and org-xboxdash.xbe (not the backup one) to your desktop or where ever you want to work with them from.

67. Open evox.ini in notepad or whatever you use for text editing and change: MSDashBoard = "c:\msdash.xbe" to MSDashBoard = "c:\org-xboxdash.xbe". Save and upload to xbox. Overwrite existing file.

(Note: If you have a M$ Dashboard that DOES NOT have a xbox live tab, then you do not need to hex edit anything. Skip to step 69)
(Note: If your using ldots Patcher skip step 68 and just upload and overwrite the patched xbe and goto step 69)

68. Open the hex editor and search for this hex value: 66006F006E00740073 which in ascii is "f.o.n.t.s". Depending on your xbe version it may return 2 or 4 results. At either rate on the far right it should have highlighted "f.o.n.t.s"; simply change the letter 'o' to a '0' (zero) which is the directory we created in step 41 to keep the original fonts. Save and upload to xbox. Overwrite existing file.

69. Reboot the Xbox and in Evox click on "MS Dashboard" and presto, your back in business if you want simple memory management or just like two dashes.

Section 8 - Getting DVD Playback Back:
70. FTP into your box

71. Grab evox.ini from the xbox's c: and download it somewhere (Desktop / c: / etc...)

72. Open it up and change DVDPlayer = "c:\msdash.xbe" to DVDPlayer = "c:\org-xboxdash.xbe"

73. Save, upload, reboot. Test it out by either: "Launch DVD" or "MS Dashboard"

(Note: you need the remote control kit otherwise the m$ dash will tell you you NEED it to continue... if you still want dvd playback download dvd-x from a usual place and that supports full controller controlled playback for dvd's)
Credits:
Major props to the ORIGINAL creators of UDE and UDE2
Lets not forget those who made all the tools and programs included and used

Other Peeps:
Efnet: Xystance
In Da Flesh: InlineSk8in
X-S.com: cyberplague, YoshiKool, ricecake, xman954, afandiewinter, shanafan, brianforever

Annnd anyone else I may and most likely forgotten; THANKS! biggrin.gif

Send questions and comments to scrupul0us @ forums.xbox-scene.com

Edited by RiceCake, 04 February 2005 - 04:29 AM.

#2 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:26 AM

i dont knwo but is posting those links legal??

#3 scrupul0us

scrupul0us

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:27 AM

They were all posted previously in another forum... I just consolidated everything

Original Here:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=245403

Edit: Added Link

Edited by scrupul0us, 21 July 2004 - 03:28 AM.

#4 ThE MaSTeR 3

ThE MaSTeR 3

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:51 AM

Wow I don't understand this at all!

devz3ro please make another package w/ guide!

#5 farbird

farbird

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:59 AM

can pal / ntsc-J xbox owners use this method?

#6 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (farbird @ Jul 21 2004, 05:02 AM)
can pal / ntsc-J xbox owners use this method?

NO. Kernel doesn't like the update.xbe which is for region 1(USA/Canada) only.

#7 scrupul0us

scrupul0us

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:05 AM

QUOTE (ThE MaSTeR 3 @ Jul 20 2004, 09:54 PM)
Wow I don't understand this at all!

devz3ro please make another package w/ guide!

Whats not to understand? I tell you everything you need and where to get it STEP BY STEP and even bolded all the important parts. With the exception of locating a signed version of evox, this has to be the simplest tutorial. Whats' not to understand???

#8 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:12 AM

QUOTE (scrupul0us @ Jul 21 2004, 05:08 AM)
Whats not to understand? I tell you everything you need and where to get it STEP BY STEP and even bolded all the important parts. With the exception of locating a signed version of evox, this has to be the simplest tutorial. Whats' not to understand???

It is good for DIY but some users want a "one click" solution.

#9 RiceCake

RiceCake

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:Wait, what the hell?<br />Your interested in what I do?<br />None of your damn buisness!
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:13 AM

1) This tutorial says you need stuff that you don't (IE - friends modified Xbox). You can use a hotswap, Action Replay, USB flash drive, etc...
2) I still highly recommend learning alot about how the Xbox works before you try anything (No tutorial is perfect).
3) I'm checking out those links - but something tells me dev' is doing bad things...

Edit:...nope! I kinda figured dev' wouldn't do something stupid - all these patchers do is patch other XBE's into the new UDE2 XBE's.

This is actually a pretty good tutorial - albeit you don't need a friend with a modified Xbox. Like I said though it ain't perfect so learn a bit first. And if you aren't competent on a computer and can't understand alot of the details of this tutorial - then I'd say you need to hold off on exploits until you master...or at least amateur most of it.

Edited by RiceCake, 21 July 2004 - 04:21 AM.

#10 scrupul0us

scrupul0us

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (RiceCake @ Jul 20 2004, 10:16 PM)
1) This tutorail says you need stuff that you don't (IE - friends modified Xbox).

Well, I wrote the tutorial based on the steps I took. If you can get the game save to your Xbox HD another way, then do it that way. I didn't so I didn't cover it.
This is step by step how I did it. If you don't like my way, find another tutorial.

As for one-click solutions, this is a walkthrough, not a one-click solution.

#11 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:18 AM

QUOTE (scrupul0us @ Jul 21 2004, 05:20 AM)
Well, I wrote the tutorial based on the steps I took. If you can get the game save to your Xbox HD another way, then do it that way. I didn't so I didn't cover it.
This is step by step how I did it. If you don't like my way, find another tutorial.

As for one-click solutions, this is a walkthrough, not a one-click solution.

And even packages from ldots need a way to get on the memory card, so your method may already be the easiest.

#12 RiceCake

RiceCake

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:Wait, what the hell?<br />Your interested in what I do?<br />None of your damn buisness!

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:20 AM

In reality - a homemade Action Replay is what I say is "best by far".

Probably since I don't know anyone with a modified system, and if I did I'd just get it TSOP'ed!

Edit: This just made me realize, MS, now what the hell are you gonna do? Haha! Their 1.6 Xbox had some unique little patches and they got partially compromized (Us/Canada) in under 2 months.

Edited by RiceCake, 21 July 2004 - 04:23 AM.

#13 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:25 AM

QUOTE (RiceCake @ Jul 21 2004, 05:23 AM)
In reality - a homemade Action Replay is what I say is "best by far".

Probably since I don't know anyone with a modified system, and if I did I'd just get it TSOP'ed!

Edit: This just made me realize, MS, now what the hell are you gonna do? Haha!

I don't know about action reply, I bought a Lexar secure that can be formatted by xbox and just dump a image of MechInstaller on to it using ozmemory tools to gain access to a Xbox. I have read that people said action reply is not reliable.

#14 RiceCake

RiceCake

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:27 AM

Homemade Action Replay - and the newer Action Replay cards - work perfectly.

That would be a flash drive method, which is also pretty good.

#15 scrupul0us

scrupul0us

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:43 AM

I agree, older action replay always botched the files... But I've heard good things about home made and newer action replay... Never tried as I had a friend with a modded Xbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users