• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 22 July 2004 - 10:39 AM

The Jewel Clearing RESOURCE THREAD

All right.. you have entered this thread wanting to clear your jewel. Over the last year and a bit, there have been a billion different posts, and a lot of confusing information. I’m hoping to squeeze ALL of that confusing information into one fantastic thread! wink.gif Kidding, but having all of the links and information available in one thread makes it a lot easier for everyone.

Jewel - The circular green Xbox logo on the case (XS Case Modding Dictionary)

----- Step 1 –Removing the jewel -----

There are two tried, tested, and true methods for removing the Xbox jewel. The freezer method, and the hairdryer method.

Method One: The Freezer Method (by tester123)
1: Put the top part of your case into the freezer for about 30 minutes. Remove metal shielding first (this shielding is not necessary and it doesn’t matter if it gets damaged).
2: Take it out, and tap directly under your jewel with a hammer or other tappable instrument and she'll pop right off.
The freezer method is the recommended to try first for jewel removal, because it is so easy. However, sometimes that pesky jewel will stick, and you’ll have to try..

Method Two: The Hairdryer Method
1: Open up the case and take off the top.
2: Remove the metal shielding (this shielding is not necessary and it doesn’t matter if it gets damaged).
3. Grab a hairdryer and a small screwdriver, or a butter knife.
4: Set the hairdryer to hot and high. Point it at the back of the jewel for about 5 minutes.
5: Get your knife or screwdriver, lever it under the jewel, and pry it off!

----- Step 2 –Clearing the Jewel -----

The first step is to get that black rubbery stuff off. If you used the freezer method, sometimes you can peel it off like a sticker, or in little chunks at a time. If you can't, try Goo-Gone or some other sticky-substance removing solvent.

Now.. you come to a crossroads of sorts. Do you take off the green paint with a SANDING or CHEMICAL method?

SANDING
There is only ONE tutorial that you need to read for jewel clearing - written by case-painting and jewel-clearing Danish modder TykSak!
Modzone.DK Link | Xbox-Scene Mirror
Do NOT sand it with a dremel tool!!

CHEMICAL
WARNING! SOME CHEMICALS ARE CORROSIVE AND CAN MESS UP YOUR HANDS! READ INSTRUCTIONS AND USE CAUTION

The general instructions for chemical jewel removal is to get a bunch of old rags or a roll of paper towel, apply the chemical to the rag or paper towel, and RUB. Do not let your jewel soak in a chemical solution.. it could damage or warp the jewel. Now.. what chemical should I rub the jewel with, you say? Click the chemicals for their tutorials, or the numbers beside them to view threads posted on them by XS members.

biggrin.gif Recommended Chemicals biggrin.gif
Mineral Turpentine
Brasso 1 2
Easy-Off Oven Cleaner
Goof Off

dry.gif Chemicals used with mixed results by different members dry.gif
Nail Polish Remover (acetone free AND brands with acetone have yielded different results)
Paint Thinner
Brake Cleaner 1
Pine Sol
Acetone

grr.gif Non-Recommended Chemicals! Do not use! grr.gif
A microwave

PLEASE keep me updated – post a thread about what worked or didn’t work for you, PM me the link, and I can update the list with a link to your thread. Or just post what worked for you in this thread.

----- Step 2b –Removing the silver letting from the Jewel (optional) -----
“After removing the green paint with a sanding or chemical method, put hot glue into the "xbox" letters, let it dry (try sticking it in the freezer to get it to harden quickly), then just peel it out, and the silver should stick to the glue. Repeat the process for any other little bits that don't come off the first time.” – PaCMaYNE. NOTE – this method has not worked for everyone.

Another method is to scrape the lettering out slowly with an X-acto knife.

PM me or post in this thread with other good methods to get out the silver lettering and I will add them to this thread.

----- Step 3 –Reattaching the Jewel -----

Definitive Jewel Reattachement Guide (by feflicker)
http://forums.xbox-s...ST&f=24&t=93010

----- Step 4 -Misc -----

Jewel still cloudy after all that? Try toothpaste sanding (scroll down to toothpaste sanding portion).

Other questions? Check the Case Modding FAQ

Messed up your jewel? Visit the Jewel Hall of Shame
or
Buy A Custom Jewel:
http://www.mad-modder.com
http://shop.craxtion.com
http://www.hotmodz.com

-----------------------------

If you're going to post in this thread - include some useful info! Include whether you sanded or used a chemical, and what chemical you used. This is not a thread for custom-made jewels.

Edited by brahm2, 22 July 2004 - 09:12 PM.

#2 XxMemphisxX

XxMemphisxX

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 11:58 AM

Some useful info -

1. When purchasing Easy off Oven cleaner make sure that is it not scented or anything (lemon). I took my jewel off three days ago and the cleaner only took off the words XBOX. Unless you want a Green Jewel with clear letters, scent Easy off is not the way to go.

2. If you try nail polish don't not submerg the jewel into a bucket of it! Only apply it to the backside of the jewel as it will cause it to fog up if teh entire jewel is submerged.

I used every method except Brasso (because I could not find any), and I think I would recommend that for clearing the jewel, or maybe the brake cleaner method. Just my two cents.

#3 green_beetle

green_beetle

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 July 2004 - 01:38 PM

user posted image

This is what i used, its cutex nail polish remover for the people who cant see clearly.
I used nail polish remover on an old rag and rubbed it onto the back of the jewel. It took about 5 mins of heavy buffing.

*note make sure you use a old rag as the green paint will go into the fabric.

Also the ingredients on the bottle say its 80% acetone, so dont believe that you have! to use acetone free nail polish remover. Just dont drench the whole jewel in it.

#4 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 July 2004 - 04:30 PM

About time we had a definitive jewel clearing thread. Thanks, braham!

I vote for the freezer method for jewel removal. I don't recommend a hammer be used to whack the inside of the case; you could crack it with a small impact point like the tip of a hammer.

Use a rubber mallet (or the sole of a shoe!) instead.

And the Original Goof Off has done me right for clearing a jewel. Put some on an old sock or a clean rag, rub for less than a minute, and it's crystal clear with no haze or scratches.

user posted image
user posted image

If you really want to get fancy, finish it off with some Novus #1 Plastic Polish.

Edited by Perplexer, 22 July 2004 - 09:42 PM.

#5 dougMod

dougMod

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:17 PM

pin this thread man thanks for making it wink.gif

#6 estin

estin

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:47 PM

yeah we needed this thread. you should add this to the FAQS. wink.gif

#7 DotHacker

DotHacker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:xbox and paintball mostly but other stuff i guess

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:57 PM

i think this should be pined so that no 1 else askes that question

#8 notsodiseased

notsodiseased

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 06:05 PM

I agree this needs to be pinned, But brahm can you add some info about controller jewels as well. Benn alot of confusion about them as of late. If nothing else i would appreciate it

#9 BobBrkersMyHero

BobBrkersMyHero

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 06:35 PM

i tried the freezer method last night and got nothing...tried it 3 times..

hairdryer method works great for me everytime...

first jewel i cleared i used straight acetone and a q-tip..worked great for me!

#10 NarCiuss

NarCiuss

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Xbox 360, My Girl.

Posted 22 July 2004 - 07:14 PM

I used Equate Non-Acetone Polish Remover about 15 Cotton Balls and some 320 Grit to give it a frosted look! biggrin.gif

user posted image

user posted image

#11 Frag_Happy

Frag_Happy

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 05:43 AM

i think this thread needs a bump for all the ppl who are making new threads asking the SAME stuff that's already in here.. dry.gif

#12 gamefreakgcb

gamefreakgcb

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 09:09 PM

ok i just did my jewel with this
user posted image

i was done about 2/3 of the jewel when i decided to try goo-gone and clorox cleaner. and because of one of these some silver lettering also came out. It was not because of the Orange clean as the silver lettering was ok till after i tried the clorox and the goo-gone.
Here's the finished product. Also the thing to note is that it took a long time as the orange clean isnt powerful.
user posted image

anyway to put the silver color back in the XBOX lettering.?

Edited by gamefreakgcb, 29 July 2004 - 12:54 AM.

#13 dbxz

dbxz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:19 PM

fuck fuck fuck fuck!

my jewel was such a bitch to remove it like had a life of its own it just didnt wanna come off nearly as fast as on my first xbox... it took me 2 hours just to get it off and remove the black shit....

the the nail polish wasnt working at all... i went through 3 kinds with the last one kind of working but not as well as on my first jewl... i was rubbing it for like 30 min and all the rubbing probably made it warm and i was probably pressing down pretty hard and SNAP...

FUCKING MOTHER BEEP BEEP BEEP... BEEEEP!!

all that work for nothing... what a stupid stubrn jewel...

#14 gamefreakgcb

gamefreakgcb

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:35 AM

its not pinned yet.... and i'm wondering if there is anything I can do about puuting the silver back in my XBOX lettering

#15 Xboxmodder3690

Xboxmodder3690

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 July 2004 - 04:26 AM

I soaked my jewel in "Mineral Spirits" paint thinner for a couple hours. Then I used a cloth and some alcohol and rubbed the paint and it came right off. The only probblem that I had was a little clouding, and Brasso fixed it like a charm cool.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users