Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 July 2004 - 10:22 PM

I've done this in the past, but with xport VM update to mameox, i'm updating all my arcade emu's again. Anyway, what is the bestway to have mameox, fbaxxx, and kawax all share the same rom path? Which, what and where do i need to edit?

Also, what is the and where do i put the neogeo folder that was present when i downloaded the fbaxxx.rar?

Thanks,
Foe-

Edited by Foe-hammer, 25 July 2004 - 10:23 PM.

#2 X2Gamer

X2Gamer

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 10:23 PM

edit the ini files for each app.

#3 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 10:30 PM

Yes, that is what i thought, but fbaxxx and Mameox do not have a rom path .ini, or an .ini at all for that matter. I only see one in kawax. In the past, i remember having to hex edit one of the emu's .xbe's to change it's rom path.

Edited by Foe-hammer, 25 July 2004 - 10:32 PM.

#4 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:05 PM

Actually, both FBA-XXX and MAMEoX have ini's you can edit. KawaX has a ROM path, but it has a bug and you can't change it. So you need to put all your ROMs in the KawaX ROMs folder and link the other two there. MAMEoX's ini is in the E:/TDATA/4d414d45/ folder.... or you can edit the ROM path directly through the options menu. FBAXXX creates a folder called "ini" in its root install directory. Just edit the ini called "fbaxxx.ini". BTW, you can set mutliple ROM paths for both FBAXXX and MAMEoX.

Edited by Thraxen, 25 July 2004 - 11:06 PM.

#5 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 12:07 AM

Thanks guys, i appreciate it.

How about the neogeo folder that i downloaded with fbaxxx. What do i do with it, where do i put it, and is it neccessary?

Thanks again,
Foe-

#6 ONI5

ONI5

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 07:28 AM

I tried this and Memeox doesn't even acknoledge that the roms are there. Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

#7 Gus Man

Gus Man

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:23 AM

Check your rom path and rescan roms.

#8 devlkore

devlkore

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Interests:Games, Photoshop, martial arts, soft toys, PokéMon, PowerPuff Girls, cartoons, music, jumping
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 July 2004 - 12:33 PM

Don't bother with rom sharing, use FBAxxx for the games it supports and use MAMEoX for everything else, I wouldn't even bother having KawaX on your HD any more since FBAxxx has surpassed it in almost, if not every way.

Also, FBAxxx runs it's games better than MAME does.

#9 DaCocoBrova

DaCocoBrova

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 06:43 PM

So in theory, I can have a E:\ROMS folder and all my emus can point to it?

Would it be:

\\e:\ROMS

or

e:\ROMs

?

#10 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (devlkore @ Jul 27 2004, 01:36 PM)
Don't bother with rom sharing, use FBAxxx for the games it supports and use MAMEoX for everything else, I wouldn't even bother having KawaX on your HD any more since FBAxxx has surpassed it in almost, if not every way.

Also, FBAxxx runs it's games better than MAME does.

What you suggest is a pain in the ass. Having to go through 4000 roms to find the neogeo and capcom games is no fun task. With having all the arcade emu's share the same rom path, kawax and fbaxxx will only recognize the games that they support. Best thing to do is like what Traxen said, it worked perfectly for me. If you don't want kawax, just put all your roms in mameox rom folder. Then initiate both the mameox and fbaxxx emu's. Reboot and the .ini folders will be present for fbaxxx (you have to do this because the .ini will not be visible until you start the emu and get out of it). Also, you'll have to get into TDATA, or edit in the menu for mameox for rom path, but since you already have the roms in memeox, you souldn't have to mess with it. Now just edit the fbaxxx .ini folder; directing it to where the roms are at in mameox, and there you go.

Edited by Foe-hammer, 27 July 2004 - 08:37 PM.

#11 The Noob

The Noob

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:A newfound untapped interest in the XBox
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 28 July 2004 - 12:49 AM

FBA-XXX and Mameox file sharing works out the best. Unless I'm doing something wrong Kawa-X cannot seem to share at all and FBA-X seems to only be able to share one rom path, which is no good if you have multiple directories in Mameox.

#12 ihateviolence

ihateviolence

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 01:50 AM

i don't know much about ini's and rompaths... but is it the same idea to share my roms with a newer version of mame .84 and say an older version .79? i've looked and you can specify a location but they all say d:roms ? whatever can't be the hdd partition? i use this when i'm using an older or newer version of mame to try out certain games but i don't want to always move them everytime and find out some roms don't work then move them all back and so on? would be easy to just specify a path? smile.gif

Edited by ihateviolence, 28 July 2004 - 02:07 AM.

#13 ihateviolence

ihateviolence

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 02:16 AM

this is what i'm seeing in my fbaxxx ini

// The paths to search for rom zips. (include trailing backslash)
szAppRomPaths[0] d:\roms\
szAppRomPaths[1] d:\roms\ng\
szAppRomPaths[2] d:\roms\cps1\
szAppRomPaths[3] d:\roms\cps2\

and this is my mame ini
[Directories]
ALTDrive = t
C_Mapping = \device\harddisk0\partition1
E_Mapping = \device\harddisk0\partition1
F_Mapping = \device\harddisk0\partition6
G_Mapping = \device\cdrom0
H_Mapping = \device\harddisk0\partition6
RomsPath0 = d:\roms
RomsPath1 = d:\roms2
RomsPath2 = d:\roms
RomsPath3 = d:\roms
ArtPath = d:\artwork
AudioPath = d:\samples
ConfigPath = d:\cfg
GeneralPath = d:\general
HDImagePath = d:\hdimages
HiScoresPath = d:\hiscores
NVRamPath = d:\nvram
BackupPath = d:\roms\backup
ScreenshotPath = d:\screenshots
AutoBootSavePath = d:\autobootsaves

can someone be so kind as to give me some specifics for
1. to share my mame roms with fbaxxx
2. to share mame roms with a different version of mame if possible? i only see one ini in that folder? i would expect to see 2 different ones for both versions of mame i have?

#14 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 July 2004 - 04:56 AM

can someone be so kind as to give me some specifics for
1. to share my mame roms with fbaxxx
2. to share mame roms with a different version of mame if possible? i only see one ini in that folder? i would expect to see 2 different ones for both versions of mame i have?

First, MAMEoX.... If you are using two versions of MAMEoX I think they will both be trying to use the same ini file since I think each version saves the ini to the same place. Or you could change where the older version saves its ini file. You would need to change it using a hex editor (you edit the default.xbe file). Then you could run two versions that would be using two different ini files. If you need help with this let me know and I can either tell you how or edit one for you. I've not tried this with MAMEoX, but I have done it with KawaX and it works perfectly.

Or you could just not worry about it and just run two different versions that use the same ROMs path (i.e. the ROMs for both are in the same folders).

If you want to share with FBAXXX, you just need to edit the ini file and tell it where the ROMS are located. It can have up 4 ROM paths. First of all, for any XBox emulator or application, d: is the path from which the default.xbe file is launched. So "d:\roms\" is just a folder called "roms" in your FBAXXX emulator folder. If you want to point FBAXX to another ROMS folder for another emulator you just need to tell it where. For example, if you want to point it to the default MAMEoX folder you would put something like: szAppRomPaths[0] f:\Emulators\MAMEoX\roms\
Just set the path to the path where you have your MAMEoX ROMS.

Edited by Thraxen, 28 July 2004 - 06:12 AM.

#15 ihateviolence

ihateviolence

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:49 AM

QUOTE (Thraxen @ Jul 28 2004, 05:59 AM)
First of all, for any XBox emulator or application, d: is the path from which the default.xbe file is launched.

this was the info i was missing.... makes perfect sense now... i was also confused about the other fbaxxx paths (rom\cp1, rom\ng) didn't understand they were just paths instead of specific path for those roms? biggrin.gif i'll give this a shot.... thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users