• This topic is locked This topic is locked
211 replies to this topic

#1 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:32 AM

So you guys just want to use a cheapmod on a 1.6 to do all the cool stuff xbox is capable of doing well here are some indepth pics to help you out. Some pics were taken from other sources and i give the owner of the pics has full rights to ask me to remove them if they want to.

Needed is a Cheapmod SST chip flashed with evoxm8 bios and some solder skill.

1st off do the LPC rebuild on the bottom of the mother board but dont ground the LFRAME. Dont even touch the LFRAME

user posted image

2nd you have to flip the board over. Use a razor blade to cut the LFRAME Trace. Then connect a fine wire to the bottom hole furthest from the LFRAME trace you just cut.

user posted image

3rd off you have to wire up the cheapmod so that you can just run wires to the LPC ports. IGNORE WIRE #7 you will connect LFRAME to this directly or to a switch but thats not covered in this tutorial. IGNORE TIP 2 BECAUSE THERE IS NO d0 POINT ON 1.6 MB's

user posted image

4th you will wire the cheapmod to the LPC ports using the guide above. I hot glued the cheapmod to a nice area of the 1.6 board it made it much easier to solder the wires with out holding the cheapmod in the air.

user posted image

5th is check your connections and power that sucker up.

Enjoy your new cheapmod 1.6

P.S = if you ever want to revert back to the stock MB, all you have to do is run that yellow wire you see in my pic's to the bottom LFRAME and it will relink the lframe back to normal

ALTERNATE IMAGE FOR TUTORIAL by OuTeR HeAvEn

user posted image

TOP DIAGRAM FOR TUTORIAL by "pimpkid" or "{{909}}" Origin is unknown as to who made this picture

user posted image

Edited by xboxexpert, 18 November 2004 - 02:35 AM.

#2 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:35 AM

If there are any question's what so ever i will be glad to take more pics or answer them to the best of my ability

#3 Jonah Complex

Jonah Complex

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:35 PM

From reading another 1.6 tutorial, they say there is not even a D0 point on the v1.6 boxes. And if I want to switch between my modchip and the M$ Bios, to put a switch on the LFRAME trace because the LPC on the v1.6 boxes are live, but the Xyclops chip will boot first if the LFRAME trace isnt cut.

Since im a total noob, and this is my first attempt ever, im trying to get a definitive approach so I dont screw something up. There are several different v1.6 tutorials, and each of them are basically the same, except for this LFRAME and D0 stuff.

Other than clearing that up, the only other thing I need an answer for is flashing my cheapmod. I assume I can build the cheapLPC programmer and flash my chip with the evoxM8_16 BIOS, and that I dont have to hotswap. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help!

#4 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:51 PM

Yes thats correct, just follow my steps and you wount go wrong with this tutorial...i have since done my 3rd mod using this method showed here and it works flawless. and if you ever want to revert back to the stock MB, all you have to do is run that yellow wire you see in my pic's to the bottom LFRAME and it will relink the lframe back to normal

#5 Jonah Complex

Jonah Complex

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:15 PM

Sorry if this is sounding repetitive, but there is still just this one point between this thread of yours (which is great!) and the other thread I was going to use until I saw yours this morning:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=244979

According to that thread, there is NO D0 point on the 1.6 boxes, and there is no need to enable the modchip, since the LPC is enabled anyways. The only necessary thing to do is cut the LFRAME trace, and reroute it to the modchip so the default bios does not boot. I also plan on putting a switch in to toggle between my cheapmod and M$ Bios.

So I guess my confusion is derived from your above posts where you say to reroute the yellow wire back to the LFRAME trace to enable M$ Bios (which Ill be putting a switch in for this), but you also mention in the original post about bridging the D0 point to enable the modchip, when the other thread conflicts this.

Again, apologies for my ignorance, but I want to be 100% of what im doing before soldering on my new xbox.

#6 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:23 PM

Yes there are 2 ways of doing this. I found that if you connect the yellow wire directly to the lframe on the bottom of the board it reconnects the lframe and origional bios loads...so i guess you can do it eather way if you want. In this case get the 3 pin STP switch and run the yellow wire from top lframe to the middle of the switch, another wire from the bottom lframe to the 1st pin of the switch and another wire to the 3rd pin of the switch to pin 7 on the chip

Edited by xboxexpert, 27 July 2004 - 04:29 PM.

#7 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:31 PM

I will post up pics when i do this process of a stp switch my self.

#8 Jonah Complex

Jonah Complex

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:43 PM

And I can safely ignore step #2 in your TIPS section above, which states to bridge the D0 point, correct?

#9 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:49 PM

yes dont bring the d0 point that pic is for xbox's 1-1.5 not 1.6 that pic is just showing you how to rig up the cheapmod's

Edited by xboxexpert, 27 July 2004 - 04:50 PM.

#10 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:37 PM

who ever pinned it thanks a bunch wink.gif

#11 {{909}}

{{909}}

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:08 PM

is there a reason to rewire the points back to the oriinal LPC and then wire that to the cheapmod or could you just run wires from the points direct to the chip?

#12 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:25 PM

i think you can run them directly but its easier to do it this way just incase you end up wanting to change the chip or something.

#13 Jonah Complex

Jonah Complex

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 02:17 AM

xboxexpert:

Did you flash your cheapmod using a cheaplpc programmer? Did you use the milk program to flash the cheapmod with m8_16.bin?

I have everything hardware-wise good to go. I just need to flash my cheapmod before testing!

EDIT: My bad!

Edited by Jonah Complex, 30 July 2004 - 01:33 AM.

#14 Koopa

Koopa

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE (Jonah Complex @ Jul 28 2004, 07:20 PM)
Also, I couldnt find m8_16.bin on the evox site. Anyone have a link to this bios?

oooh don't ask for "illegal" stuff like this!!!

if you want to find it, check out the tutorial on xbins on the xbox-scene main site, and go to the xbins channel and it'll have ALL the files you're looking for.

Just don't ask for direct links! smile.gif

#15 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:39 AM

Hello, i accually used a preflashed bios from a aladin chip and just took out the SST Chip from the aladin. But you can eather use a cheaplpc programmer or you can wire that chip up in a regular xbox and reflash it, only if the chip is not totally blank.

p.s - asking for locations of illegal bio's isnt allowed in this fourm. Please edit the post before it gets edited for you.

Edited by xboxexpert, 29 July 2004 - 03:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users