• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 synthetiklone

synthetiklone

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:44 AM

OK, I just have to share this information.
I needed to link up two Xboxes across and down the street (me and my neighbour down the road) without the hassle of an expensive Xbox live account, and high speed internet etc etc.
I priced up some 8 core standard outdoor network cable, and yikes, it is expensive.
So i looked into some networking information and found out that only 4 wires (thats two, twisted pairs) are used! I wondered if this was true for the Xbox linkup, and tried it out with a short length of ORDINARY TELEPHONE CABLE and it worked !
NOTE: the telephone cable MUST be two TWISTED PAIRS, not just straight cable, The twisting of each pair prevents interference.
I tried this out with way more than 50 meters of the stuff, and it still worked, no lagging at all.
I tried it out with a PC network, and we needed to use a hub to get the signal strength up, which must mean that the Xbox has pretty good network driver current built right in.
I didnt even use the correct tool for pushing the gold pins onto the copper wires as it was about NZ$50 just for the tool. I just used a small flathead screwdriver on each one. Remember if you dont use a hub, you have to make a crossover network cable. (with two wires crossed over !)
The cable I used is white, indoor type. It has a orange/white and a blue/white twisted pair and is cheap. We ran it in the middle of the night down the street-light poles hooking it next to the existing phone lines (PLEASE make sure you dont hook it next to 400 volt power lines if you do this - know what wires are what, otherwise you FRY big time!) We would have gone vie the back fence line, but we had to get the cable across the street as well. No one has noticed the strange white cable yet. hehe lol

Tony

I wish I could post pictures here to show you.

#2 green_beetle

green_beetle

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 July 2004 - 11:19 AM

laugh.gif i would like to see this
ever heard of wireless networking?

#3 nightwulf28