1 reply to this topic

#1 jagnon

jagnon

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 06:07 PM

Has anyone tested both DVD-R and DVD-RW? There appears to be a huge difference in operation between the two.. The first media I tested with backups worked great, Optodisk DVD-RW (from esbuy.com) .. the laser was quiet and everything ran as smoothly as the original discs. They were kind of pricey so I wanted to try out some cheaper discs.

I next tried the Princo white-topped DVD-R's. First thing I noticed was that the laser was making a lot of noise and would get occasional dirty disc errors in whatever game I was loading up..

The next batch I tried was Ritek silver top/purple dye generation 3 DVD-R's.. since I read that those were good for xbox/ps2 backups.. I had no dirty disc errors, but the laser mechanism sounds substantially louder than that for DVD-RW..

My question is do all of you who use DVD-R media experience the loud laser seek noises? Was reading on ps2 forums that for them loud ps2 noises means an earlier death for the laser assembly and means a costly replacement.. Also read that the main difference between cheap and expensive media is the reflectivity coefficient..

#2 sub

sub

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 07:29 PM

I've been using DVD+RW to try things out before commiting to DVD+R, and have notice any differences between the two. Noise or speed. My xbox has got a thompson drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users